X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Winfield needs to make that pick

If Winfield makes the pick late in the game,we would have won the game and maybe saved the season. He'll be a free agent and will be looking for to five corner dollar figures. If he makes that int and returns it for a TD on national tv that would bolster his arguement. I've been a big fan of his since Ohio ST. but when the voters for the pro bowl have to choose between him and TY Law that will be the difference, Interceptions and big play potential. ACC COUNTRY

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

This just in - Winfield can't catch.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

This just in - Winfield will be let go in the offseason, and we will get a stud CB. (CB = Champ Bailey)

Comment

• Jaded 7
        Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
        • Jul 2002

I thought Antoine had a good game on Sunday. You can't blame him for not catching that ball. It was thrown very hard and I don't think anyone could've caught it.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
        Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
        The only answer I found for all this hurt
        Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• R. Rich
          • Apr 2003

As much as I'd love to see someone like Bailey, Woodson, or Springs in here, would we still be able to go after one of the better DEs and a good C if we spend that kind of cash at CB? If so, I'm all for it! But, first things first: get our pass rusher and our center (maybe Eric Hicks and Damien Woody?) FIRST!!!!

Comment

• Jaded 7
            • Jul 2002

What makes any of you think Champ Bailey will leave the Redskins? Is his contract up? I doubt they'll get rid of him.

Comment

• Rude American
              EE is my American Idol
              • Jul 2002

a game is never won or lost on one play. That's a hollow analysis. One paly can be big, but there are countless opportunities in a game that could have made a difference.
              You want that hamburger on bun?

Comment

• Pride
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jaded 7
                What makes any of you think Champ Bailey will leave the Redskins? Is his contract up? I doubt they'll get rid of him.
                Yes, his contract is up, and he has stated he is expecting to go. I dont think they can afford to resign him anyway.

Comment

• Jaded 7
                  • Jul 2002

Oh. I would think that the Skins would do everything to try and keep him. He's a really good player for them and I don't think that they can afford, not in the monetary sense, to lose him. But, I don't know their financial situation. If he is let go, could the Bills afford, in the monetary sense, to sign him?

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                    • Jul 2002

I'm thinking we're gonna see more of McGee in prep for next year. He seems to be somewhat exciting and may very well turn out to be the best pick of the '03 draft.

Originally posted by R. Rich
                    As much as I'd love to see someone like Bailey, Woodson, or Springs in here, would we still be able to go after one of the better DEs and a good C if we spend that kind of cash at CB? If so, I'm all for it! But, first things first: get our pass rusher and our center (maybe Eric Hicks and Damien Woody?) FIRST!!!!
                    EXACTLY RR!!!

If we even waste more bucks on a D backfield, then TD needs to get fired the minute that deal is made. What, we tie up $15M in our secondary, $20+M in our back 7, and then ***** that our DL isn't good!

Wake up people!

We need DL and OL if we want to avoid having the exact same conversation this time next season!
                    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                      • Jul 2002

Forget expensive DBs in FAcy! Forget 'em!

DEs or DTs or OL.

Our draft:

1st round: DE, DT, QB, or OL
                      2nd round: DE, DT, QB, or OL
                      3rd round: DE, DT, QB, or OL
                      4th round: DE, DT, QB, or OL

Assuming that works out to be a QB, DE, DT, and OL, then we still need to grab a C, G, and backup (or even starting) DT/DE in FAcy in order for us to be good.

Pucillo, Teague, Denney (or Kelsay), Adams, and soon to be R. Brown (the day he becomes cutable) are not cutting it and won't be cutting it. That's 5 spots of line starting positions, and does nothing to address our depth issues.

Donahoe has virtually completely ignored our lines other than Jennings and Williams, both whom we'd be horrid w/o. Dredsoe would have taken 90 sacks w/o those two guys and he'd be far worse than he is. That'd be a line such as RJ had to play behind. At least RJ could run away. (and into the arms of a MLB! , just like a post war reunion between a GI and his loved one, LOL)

Seriously tho, everyone wants more big name, expensive skill position players when we really don't need them and continue to argue how great our secondary is. Well, here's our chance to do something about it and everyone wants to sink another $5M/yr. into yet another CB. I don't get it. Then we'll cry about how the line sucks.

Look, it's quite simple; it's a zero-sum-game.

Here's a great explanation of what a zero sum game is and a quote from the same site:

Zero Sum Game Explanation

"Zero-sum games are games where the amount of "winnable goods" (or resources in our terminology) is fixed."

In other words, every dollar we spend on a CB is a dollar that we can't spend on DL, OL, or QB. I know that's common sense, but then the talk of signing other big name CBs troubles me in light of that when our needs at DL, OL, and QB are far, far, far more dire and what are holding up the progress of this team.

IMO, we shouldn't bother w/ any players that cost more than $1M/season this offseason at the following positions, nor should we draft any in the the first 4 rounds:

CB, S, OLB, WR, RB, TE, OT

our biggest buys this offseason and our top 4 draft picks should be used exclusively for:

DE, DT, C, G, QB, MLB

That's a huge chunka change if we simply correct those issues. And then, we'll be limited by availability and cap. But there's no way we'll be able to grab a guy like Bailey and fix our lines to the extent that we should. No possible way!

Cutting Blew and Adams, and letting Winfield walk will free up some cap for us. I'm still waiting for the most recent cap update from Chump & Ed, but I'm guessing, that due to Milloy's signing, Spikes' signing, that we're not gonna have $16M to work with again. I'm guessing closer to $8-12M. That's not very much when you need 5 starting linemen on both sides.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        • Jul 2002

BTW, we could have been yards ahead by drafting some of those players this past offseason if TD had shelved his ego for two days and selected those same positions instead of:

A wasted (for '03) first round pick RB
                        A DE that hasn't effectively seen a snap at a position where everyone vying for the job SUCKS!
                        An OLB that also hasn't seen a snap.
                        A dime-a-dozen WR in Aiken who who knows how long he'll be w/ the team.

McGee, may, possibly, be the only pick that will have helped us. I find it tough to believe that no linemen were available in those first four rounds and in fact I know of at least a couple who are playing and playing well at their positions already, either starting or in relief.

As a result of that draft, due to TD's mismanagement, we're yards behind where we should be right now and no way on pace for a playoff caliber team next year even unless we have a marvelous offseason. If it resembles this past one again tho, count on being .500 or so again.

That would be a real shame!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BillsMan80
                          Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
                          • Jul 2002

We don't need to cut Adams. As much as you disagree, I think Adams has been a good help to us. Adams eats space, and his impact was seen against Dallas, when they struggled all game long, save for the one run at the end of the game. Adams and Williams make up a great pair, and Edwards can be a good rotation player, but I agree a quality DT would be a big help too. I think we need to address DE, backup DT, QB, WR, and OL.
                          The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
                          THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                            I'm thinking we're gonna see more of McGee in prep for next year. He seems to be somewhat exciting and may very well turn out to be the best pick of the '03 draft.

EXACTLY RR!!!

If we even waste more bucks on a D backfield, then TD needs to get fired the minute that deal is made. What, we tie up $15M in our secondary, $20+M in our back 7, and then ***** that our DL isn't good!

Wake up people!

We need DL and OL if we want to avoid having the exact same conversation this time next season!
                            I agree.

Personally, I'd like to see Winfield back next season, but he won't come cheap. If that's the case we have no choice but to let him go. Rich and Wys are absolutely right. We need to invest money a stud DE.

If you think about it, with Schobel on one end and a sack monster on the other, a DB like Winfield becomes obsolete. The pass rush would be heavy enough that a mediocre DB like McGee (who is actually coming into his own) or Thomas would more than suffice.

Comment

• caveboy
                              • Oct 2003

"Winfield needs to make that pick "

Drew needs to NOT make that fumble, so that Winfield would not have to NEED to make that pick.

;-)

I think our D has shown now that it is almost 85%-90% there. It's playing solid, not giving up too many big plays. But, if we continue to be conservative on the defensive side of the ball and not blitz or not have the corners play up tight on the line, I'm not sure another DE would put us over the top when we have so much trouble scoring on O.

I also can't see a real good reason why Dallas could sit there and send 5-6-7 guys constantly, yet we blitzed once or twice out of a disguised scheme. Why not just stack the line at times and let teams know we're coming? By the time Winfield blitzes deep of the corner, the pass is already released.

Oh, I know the reason, GW is waiting to feature his brilliant defensive schemes for the end of the year. ;-)

I want to have the O brought back up to the level that the D is at. We may be forcing three and outs, but if Drew goes three and out like he's been doing, our D will eventually get tired by the end of the game.
                              "Your job is to protect your quarterback – me."

Comment

Working...
                              X