PDA

View Full Version : Draft thoughts-while in mourning

TigerJ
11-10-2003, 11:24 PM
With a once promising season now just about in the dumper, one way I deal with it emotionally is to start thinking about draft scenarios. What do you think of my thoughts?

Round 1 - Will Smith DE Oh. St. I don't think either Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger is a can't miss QB. Besides who wants to try and learn how to spell Ben's last hame? Nothing else on the offensive side of the line really excites me and fills an obvious need while being a value pick in the middle of round one. Smith is nearly unblockable, has good speed and has gotten bigger, at least according to some draft websites. (6'4" 265)

Round 2 - J. P. Losman QB Tulane Lots of raw talent. He'll probably need a season to hone his skills. I'm thinking Buffalo ought to release Bledsoe and sign Brunnell to play in 2004 and tutor a rookie.

Round 3 - Adrien Clark or Morenko Crittendon - Both are big burley offensive guards. Think we need an upgrade there?

Round 4 - Best Center available

Some guys on the radar screen for the later rounds: Michael Gaines is a beefy tight end who can run, Drew Carter is a WR with Moss-like measurables (6'4" 4.3 40) who will drop because of a history of injuries. He came out of high school way too light. Has put on some weight - now weighs 200 - and could stand to add another 20 lbs. Jeremiah Cockheran is another WR who is not quite as tall as Carter (6'0" to 6'2" depending on who you believe) but every bit as fast. All these guys are day two prospects now. Who knows what the combine will do to them?

Bmax
11-10-2003, 11:57 PM
smith at de sounds good to me i watched him play for two seasons and the guy is a player. he would start day one in buffalo . The only question will he be there when we draft ....

Bmax....

askabry
11-11-2003, 08:51 AM
My prediction is that Tom Donahoe has too much invested in DB, both financially and professionally, to let him go. Unless Drew really, really *****s the bed in the second half (ie: simply continues his current torrid pace), Drew returns.

And my guess is the contract gets torn up, re-written in February at cap-favorable rates and allows the Bills to resign Antoine Winfield. In turn, it allows the Bills to address either the #2 WR position or pass rushing DE or RB in the draft on day 1.

R. Rich
11-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Not bad. That would address the pass rush and the OL, but I still like my scenario better:

sign a pass rusher (I think Eric Hicks would be available and much cheaper than Kearse) first

sign a center (if Damien Woody is available, meaning they don't franchise tag him or re-sign him, this is a no-brainer!) next

draft a stud DT (Vince Wilfork of Miami or Tommie Harris of Oklahoma are both outstanding!) with our first pick

draft a monster OG (either Adrien Clarke of Ohio State or Stephen Peterman of LSU would be an excellent addition to our line!) next

draft our next starting QB (Phillip Rivers of NC State or Jeff Smoker of Mich State could be available here and would be great value in the 3rd round!) next

If we're able to pull this off, we've improved our interior OL, added a proven pass rusher, upgraded tremendously in the middle of our defensive line, and found a QB to groom to eventually start for us. Not bad. And you still have rounds 4-7 to add some depth.

SABURZFAN
11-11-2003, 09:17 AM
it's STILL too early to be talking about the 2004 NFL draft.we're 1 game out of the last playoff spot with 7 games left.

venis2k1
11-11-2003, 11:01 AM
KW2 is slipping fast, there is a good chance he will be there when we draft.

WG
11-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
With a once promising season now just about in the dumper, one way I deal with it emotionally is to start thinking about draft scenarios. What do you think of my thoughts?

Round 1 - Will Smith DE Oh. St. I don't think either Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger is a can't miss QB. Besides who wants to try and learn how to spell Ben's last hame? Nothing else on the offensive side of the line really excites me and fills an obvious need while being a value pick in the middle of round one. Smith is nearly unblockable, has good speed and has gotten bigger, at least according to some draft websites. (6'4" 265)

Round 2 - J. P. Losman QB Tulane Lots of raw talent. He'll probably need a season to hone his skills. I'm thinking Buffalo ought to release Bledsoe and sign Brunnell to play in 2004 and tutor a rookie.

Round 3 - Adrien Clark or Morenko Crittendon - Both are big burley offensive guards. Think we need an upgrade there?

Round 4 - Best Center available

Some guys on the radar screen for the later rounds: Michael Gaines is a beefy tight end who can run, Drew Carter is a WR with Moss-like measurables (6'4" 4.3 40) who will drop because of a history of injuries. He came out of high school way too light. Has put on some weight - now weighs 200 - and could stand to add another 20 lbs. Jeremiah Cockheran is another WR who is not quite as tall as Carter (6'0" to 6'2" depending on who you believe) but every bit as fast. All these guys are day two prospects now. Who knows what the combine will do to them?
NOW you're talkin' Tiger!!!

Tiger for GM!!!

"Draft thoughts-while in mourning"

LOL, yeah, it is depressing, isn't it. Good thing we all know about wings. BTW, wings, hot ones, will cause your body to release endorphins, a natural high. Great depressionary food! ;)

WG
11-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Bmax
smith at de sounds good to me i watched him play for two seasons and the guy is a player. he would start day one in buffalo . The only question will he be there when we draft ....

Bmax....

We're gonna have a top 6 or 7 pick. Unless TD trades it away again for another underachieving 'name.'

WG
11-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by askabry
My prediction is that Tom Donahoe has too much invested in DB, both financially and professionally, to let him go. Unless Drew really, really *****s the bed in the second half (ie: simply continues his current torrid pace), Drew returns.

And my guess is the contract gets torn up, re-written in February at cap-favorable rates and allows the Bills to resign Antoine Winfield. In turn, it allows the Bills to address either the #2 WR position or pass rushing DE or RB in the draft on day 1.
I've been right on schedule so far ask. I'm tellin' ya now, you can count on Blew *****ting the bed over the last 8 games!

I know him like I know the back of my hand, it's a given!

I've never bought into this "NFL investment" philosophy. Either a player is producing at a level commensurate w/ his salary or he isn't. If he isn't, who cares how much you "have invested" in him. If a player whom you have 'less invested' can put up equal or better numbers/performance, then play him! What's the problem with that. Instead, GMs and coaches play seasons into the ground simply for the sake of "their investment."

If Blew had only 3 or 4 years of experience than there would be at least some semblance of an argument. But he's 11 seasons in the league only playing like a rookie often. He hasn't had a good, solid season in 6 years. This team is going through the exact same issues that NE went through prior to him getting hurt, replaced, and then the team getting better performance out of a "lesser invested" QB.

The expense of keeping him doesn't even approach the risks involved and more particularly the players that we could upgrade with elsewhere for the cash. I can see keeping Blew for this upcoming season under two conditions; first, that the QB spot is seriously competed, and secondly, assuming that we bring in someone, either a top shelf (first two rounds) rookie, or another vet that is capable of replacing Blew if he plays like this for a game or two next year. That's it. Otherwise cut him this offseason and by all means, don't even sit down at the table with him when he/his agent ask for extension talks.

His acquisition was a bad investment and we should simply cut our losses in a favorable cap scenario and walk away free and clear, now, while we can.

WG
11-11-2003, 11:14 AM
In fact, that's the last 7 games. He already shat one!

BAM
11-11-2003, 11:28 AM
shat.. LOL

DraftBoy
11-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Rivers, and Smoker would not be solid picks for this team. Rivers is a player but he doesnt have an NFL arm, and Smoker has already had off the field problems.

WG
11-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Yeah, but that's a really cool name!

Smoker, drops back to pass, evades one rusher, ...rolls right, SMOKER throws, COMPLETE to ...

:D

TigerJ
11-11-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure I understand the concept that TD has invested too much in DB to cut him loose. Basically all the investment tied up in him is the fact that he cost a #1 draft pick. The Patriots were liable for the cap hit on the first stage of DBs $100 million contract. The next part of the bonus only kicks in if Buffalo signs him to the next stage. Unless I'm all wet there is zero cap hit for cutting DB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TigerJ
11-11-2003, 12:19 PM
I'm not really thinking about FA acquisitions at this point, R. Rich. I know there will probably be some, and that will affect draft strategy, but all this is merely academic at the present time anyway.

Tatonka
11-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

His acquisition was a bad investment and we should simply cut our losses in a favorable cap scenario and walk away free and clear, now, while we can.

up to this point though, i dont think that drew being brought here was necessarily a bad INVESTIMENT.. i mean, the unbelievable hype around his arrival and the numbers he put up early on last year has put ALOT of people in the seats.. he has earned his 5 mill a year from the money he has brought the bills..

now.. that doesnt mean that it is not time to let him go.. just that he wasnt a bad investment.. money wise..

winning wise.. well ok.. bad investment.