PDA

View Full Version : What about him for a coach?

Valerie
11-12-2003, 09:47 AM
I've made a few comments about looking at Danny White (coach of the AFL Arizona team) as a possible coach. He's done one hell of a job with that team and I know he's been coach of the year at least once. He's got NFL playing experience and he's got professional coaching experience, with a winning record. I think he's worth a look. Why won't anyone comment on this? I would rather see someone who has professional coaching experience than a coach fresh out of college. Like players out of college, you just don't know how good they're going to be once they hit the pros. I don't know why no one is looking around to the AFL for possible coaches.

Dozerdog
11-12-2003, 09:53 AM
I'd hire him- but the Buffalo Destroyers are in Columbus now.

Dozerdog
11-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Oh... you were serous about that- well- he coaches street football.

Not interested. If he had any decent coaching skills- he would be an NFL assistant

Valerie
11-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I was being serious. I don't know how big the differences between the AFL and NFL are. I would think that it would be easier to move from the AFL to the NFL rather than from college to the NFL. But, I don't know which is why I asked the question.

Gunzlingr
11-12-2003, 10:01 AM
She just likes him because he is an ex-cowboy and she wants to have his children ;)

JK, J.

I don't think the AFL is in the same league as the NFL :D

Ð
11-12-2003, 10:02 AM
I wonder if Tobee Keeth can coach ?

Dozerdog
11-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Uh- no.

Arena Football is played on a hockey rink with a rug layed over it. They have 6-7 players on a side, not 11. Players have to play both offense and defense.

The only common thing both sports have is the football itself. Completely different rules.

Valerie
11-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by gunzlingr She just likes him because he is an ex-cowboy and she wants to have his children ;)

Yes, I do like him, but not in that way. And, he's one of the only players I used to watch play, who went on to coach. Usually they just leave the sport entirely, which I never really understood. If you were a great player (and I know Danny wasn't), I would think you would make a good coach. I don't know why some of these guys don't go on to coaching.

Originally posted by Dozerdog Uh- no.

Arena Football is played on a hockey rink with a rug layed over it. They have 6-7 players on a side, not 11. Players have to play both offense and defense.

The only common thing both sports have is the football itself. Completely different rules.
Thanks, Dozer. I know absolutely NOTHING about the AFL and I was just wondering if any of their coaches would make good NFL coaches.

Ð
11-12-2003, 10:06 AM
It's like comparing stickball to baseball...only vaguely similar

The_Philster
11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
Yes, I do like him, but not in that way. And, he's one of the only players I used to watch play, who went on to coach. Usually they just leave the sport entirely, which I never really understood. If you were a great player (and I know Danny wasn't), I would think you would make a good coach. I don't know why some of these guys don't go on to coaching.
Because a lot of them, like Steve Tasker, want nothing to do with what they saw their coaches go through with the long hours and such.

RedEyE
11-12-2003, 03:17 PM
My ex- high school coach is available. We were 11-0 and 3rd in State my Junior year. He played TE for the Eagles once. ;)

TigerJ
11-12-2003, 10:57 PM
It's a pretty big chasm between Arena football and the NFL. It might be a positive to have some AFL coaching on your resume, but it would probably be better if you had something a little closer to the pro game as your most recent gig.

The Spaz
11-13-2003, 12:01 AM
He can go coach the Cowboys seeing that's your favorite team!

The_Philster
11-13-2003, 02:59 AM
I don't think it would hurt to at least bring him in for an interview....see what he thinks about how hard it would be to adapt.

Valerie
11-13-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz He can go coach the Cowboys seeing that's your favorite team!
I would be all for that, except the Cowboys already have a competent coach! :D The Bills are the ones who don't have one. lol

It was just a suggestion. As I said earlier, I don't know anything about Arena football and how different it is from the NFL. I just thought that if everyone was throwing out ideas for possible coaches, I would see what everyone thought of Danny as a possibility.

Thailog80
11-13-2003, 07:48 AM
we dont want no stinkin' Cowboys here.....lol

User Manuel
11-13-2003, 08:37 AM
I was under the impression that Danny White was an assisstant under Parcells now?

User Manuel
11-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Never mind I was wrong. Did you see the special teams coach though?

Bruce Dehaven

caveboy
11-13-2003, 08:48 AM
As a career back-up QB he may be able to bring something to the offensive side of the ball, but on the other hand, then you look at someone like Spurrier who was basically a back-up QB in his career, and see the troubles he has adjusting to the pro game.

Jimmy Johnson, I'm tellin' ya!

Or Mike Keenan.

;-)

Valerie
11-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Yeah but Spurrier didn't have time to make the proper adjustment from college coach to professional coach. He got picked and paid millions and he was unproven in the NFL.

I have another question, when a college coach gets called up to the NFL, doesn't he usually start out as an assistant or maybe an offensive or defensive coach? Or, does he get the big gig right off the bat.....head coach?

The Spaz
11-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Yeah but Spurrier didn't have time to make the proper adjustment from college coach to professional coach. He got picked and paid millions and he was unproven in the NFL.

I have another question, when a college coach gets called up to the NFL, doesn't he usually start out as an assistant or maybe an offensive or defensive coach? Or, does he get the big gig right off the bat.....head coach?

Ask Steve Spurrier!

The_Philster
11-13-2003, 04:57 PM

Spurrier also has a big ego.

It varies depending on the coach. There are instances in which coaches do just become assistants but more often than not, they go straight to the head job.
Spurrier, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, and Rich Brooks are the first examples of this that come to mind.

Dozerdog
12-02-2003, 06:08 PM
I just found this out-

I never knew Danny White was the son of NFL legend and hall of famer Byron"Whizzer"White.

"Whizzer" White not only was a Hall of Fame player in the 1940's- but went on to become a Supreme Court Justice.

Dozerdog
12-02-2003, 06:13 PM
http://web.dailycamera.com/buffzone/hall_of_fame/photos_sm/white.jpgByron "Whizzer" White
Football, baseball, basketball and track 1935-1938

By Jenny Coyne, For the Camera
April 26, 2003
Byron "Whizzer" White, one of three CU football players to have their jersey retired, was the First All-American football player at the University of Colorado and later went on to become a U.S. Supreme Court Justice.

White entered the University of Colorado in 1934 as an economics major. He was a member and later president of Phi Beta Kappa. By 1937, White had been named First All-American football player from CU and also lettered in baseball and basketball.

After graduating first in his class in 1938, he earned most valuable player in the Cotton Bowl. White then went on to play professional football for the Pittsburgh Pirates (now known as the Steelers), and was named National Football League Rookie of the Year 1938. His salary was $15,800, the highest in the history of the NFL during this time.

The nickname "Whizzer" was given to him by Denver sports writer Leonard Kahn who said White just seemed to "whiz by people."

In 1939, White went on to Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar where he began studying law. By the following year, he made the decision of taking time off of school to spend two seasons playing for the Detroit Lions.

White served as a Navy intelligence officer in the South Pacific during World War II, earning two Bronze Stars. After his war efforts, White went on to graduate as magna *** laude from Yale Law School.

In 1952, White was elected to the National Football Hall of Fame.

Dick Tharp, CU's athletic director, inducted White into the University of Colorado Athletic Hall of Fame, saying, "He believed that you accept responsibility for the things you do in life, and there's no whining, or apologies, or excuses."

In 1962, President John F. Kennedy appointed White to the Supreme Court. White became known for his conservative views and is remembered for many court decisions, including, his work in Roe vs. Wade and the New York Times v. Sullivan. In 1993, White stepped down from the Supreme Court after 31 years. The Byron White U.S. Courthouse in Denver is dedicated to him.

On April 15, 2002, Byron White died of complications from pneumonia.
http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/buffzone/article/0,1713,BDC_2399_1915932,00.html

Valerie
12-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Pretty interesting, Dozer. Thanks! :) Even though I've never heard of this guy.

Now are you interested in Danny White as a coach? lol

TigerJ
12-03-2003, 12:09 PM
The kinds of people I am interested in as an NFL head coach include: college head coaches with very successful programs who have also been NFL assistants, preferably at the coordinator level; NFL coordinators who demonstrate the leadership and organizational abilities to handle the head coach position (it helps greatly if they were/are coordinators for highly successful headcoaches llike Parcells, Belichick, and Vermeil, former NFL head coaches who did not look like they were in over their heads. Regarding former NFL head coaches, they would have to have been dismissed for reasons not realted to coaching ability, and if there was some flaw in what they did in their last gig I would want to see some indication they had learned from their mistakes. Case in point: Tom Coughlin - He has strong coaching ability and credentials, but the constant state of near mutiny among his players at Jacksonville scares me. I would want to know that he has come to a point where he can temper his harsh discipline to the point where players can both like and respect him. I don't think he has to become a pansy. He just needs to treat players with more respect and discover a sense of humor.

SABURZFAN
12-03-2003, 12:18 PM
the last thing we need is danny white coaching us.although,Jaded could fill up the Spam Zone if we did.:snicker2: