PDA

View Full Version : An inexcusable comment by our HC

askabry
11-12-2003, 12:29 PM
When asked today why we didn't consider using the shotgun against the fierce Cowboy blitz, our HC basically admitted that Trey Teague cannot execute the play.

It's been evident this basic skill was not in his toolbox as long ago as the middle of last year. And over the course of 16 games, our Head Teacher has been inable to provide this player with the most elemental requirements to field the position. Instead, we've gone on starting Trey Teague.

And then, facing a team known to blitz and given 14 days to prepare our organization decides to help our ploddingly slow QB by REMOVING the shotgun from our playbook.

I'm frankly flabbergasted that
a> a HC in the NFL would admit such a thing when doing so provides you no advantage and surely provides harm.

b> a HC in the NFL could find no other alternative than simply to ADMIT such a failure in his players.

I ... I ... I'm just at a loss for words. How could we have sunk so low? Had we not considered ... mmm ... benching him? Had we not considered ... teaching him the position? Acquiring an alternate? Not releasing Billy Conaty? Emphatically requiring Tom Donahoe to draft a Center sometime over the last two drafts?

We can't execute the Shotgun. Just friggin great. SO ... let's just remove it from the playbook. It really, really paints what sort of thoughts have to be going through Bledsoe's mind while he's wearing defensive lineman.

Patrick76777
11-12-2003, 12:33 PM
WOW! Crazy! I was thinking the same thing during the game. How do you beat a Blitz? easy, Shotgun, Safety valves, Screen passes, Quick hits to the tight end and Quick crossing patterns to the WR's.

They refused to go to the Shotgun,

We went to the Screen at the end of the half and moved the ball right down the field. Stopped running the play soon after.

What the hell is going on down there?

Mr. Miyagi
11-12-2003, 12:35 PM
GW opens his mouth again, and crap comes out as usual.

Shut the hell up ManBoob.

THATHURMANATOR
11-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Unbelievable

OpIv37
11-12-2003, 12:40 PM
This should silence any of the few remaining GW supporters out there, and it doesn't speak well for TD either....

People are talking about dumping Bledsoe- if GW keeps putting him behind a center who can't block in shotgun formation, why the hell would he want to stay?

socalfan
11-12-2003, 12:41 PM
He's crumbling under the pressure. Loosing focus, just like his team.

justasportsfan
11-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Ya'll are haters. :scratch:

socalfan
11-12-2003, 12:48 PM
I love the Bills. I just don't like them very much now. :lol:

OpIv37
11-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Ya'll are haters. :scratch:

Yeah, I think I'd fall into the Williams-hater category. We could have had a great year, but it's a debacle, and while it's not all Williams' fault, he still gets a good portion of the blame. How many times can he make the same mistakes? How many times is he going to accept mediocrity? When is he going to reign in Gilbride?

Until this guy shows the leadership required to be an NFL head coach, count me amongst the haters.

Ebenezer
11-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Another fireable offense.

ArcticWildMan
11-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Unreal. We are the only team in the NFL that can't the shotgun. This is a new low for the Bills.

justasportsfan
11-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Quick, someone send this info to the media. Make it nationwide. Oh man , even Wade wasn't this bad. He had no headphones but both Rob and Flutie could call for a shotgun.

mybills
11-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
This should silence any of the few remaining GW supporters out there, and it doesn't speak well for TD either....

I thought a QB sneak on 4th & 20 woulda done the trick! ;)

socalfan
11-12-2003, 01:18 PM
That would certainly have been a surprise to the defense.

askabry
11-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Taking the shotgun out of your arsenal ... even if it is only on the road ... is simply indefensible.

Criticize Drew all you want. He deserves some of it for sure. But why don't we just crawl right into a shell and give up, if we're going to take pages out of the playbook when we go on the road or if we can't execute the plays.

Man. Just pull the trigger for me would you?... cause I can't reach what with my holding the barrel so close to my mouth.

IHateTheDullphins
11-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mybills

I thought a QB sneak on 4th & 20 woulda done the trick! ;)

No, that would be a "Running" play. We don't do that.

Michael82
11-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Another fireable offense.

Agreed! :up:

:madfire: FIRE HIS ASS!!!!!

Michael82
11-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Unreal. We are the only team in the NFL that can't the shotgun. This is a new low for the Bills.

It makes we want to :puke:

Michael82
11-12-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by askabry
Taking the shotgun out of your arsenal ... even if it is only on the road ... is simply indefensible.

Criticize Drew all you want. He deserves some of it for sure. But why don't we just crawl right into a shell and give up, if we're going to take pages out of the playbook when we go on the road or if we can't execute the plays.

Man. Just pull the trigger for me would you?... cause I can't reach what with my holding the barrel so close to my mouth.

I totally agree! And as far as the trigger, i think Gregg is the one holding it and Kevin Gilbride is ready to pull the trigger when you ask.

XNOUGHT
11-12-2003, 02:48 PM
wow :jawdrop:

Well, our Pro-Bowler Damian Woody can't shotgun snap. So we moved his ass to guard and put 5th rounder Koppen in his place and we are kicking arse!

Donahue has ALOT of questions to answer.......

losman2evans
11-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Well on the upside- Maybe that is an opportunity. If we can obtain an all pro like center , maybe that's the ticket to this offense making a big jump in improvement. Maybe this will give Bledsoe that extra time to complete a pass .

The_Philster
11-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
Well on the upside- Maybe that is an opportunity. If we can obtain an all pro like center , maybe that's the ticket to this offense making a big jump in improvement. Maybe this will give Bledsoe that extra time to complete a pass . I'd be happy with a decent center. Dallas just picked up one.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Didn't they also put him on IR?

helmetguy
11-13-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282

:madfire: FIRE HIS ASS!!!!!

Fire all oh him! Boobs and all!

BTW, didn't he throw in a couple more "We have to get better in that area[s]?"

Media:"What about the Coaching/preparation?"

GW: Well, we have looked at that...broke it down...the tendency when we're in that situation is for them to see it and adjust to it. When we looked at it in meetings, we were satisfied..we didn't execute the...We have to get better in that area. But we're not going to comment on that."

Historian
11-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by OpIv37

Yeah, I think I'd fall into the Williams-hater category.

THREE YEARS AGO, I said the guy wasn't NFL HC material, and that in three years, we would be worse off than we were with the buffet table twins.

What blows my mind is how everybody was defending his lunacy until about 4 or 5 weeks ago!

Run the arrogant ass out of town. Let him go back to Tennesee and empty Jeff Fisher's wastepaper basket!

Turf
11-13-2003, 08:59 AM
If we don't use the shotgun for the rest of the year, this will be the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard of. This is worse than the having a "punt catcher".
What professional football team would take the shotgun out of their arsenal?
If this is true, then truly this entire group who came to this conclusion as a solution are the worst bunch of bumbling fools ever to coach professional football.

Originally posted by askabry
When asked today why we didn't consider using the shotgun against the fierce Cowboy blitz, our HC basically admitted that Trey Teague cannot execute the play.

It's been evident this basic skill was not in his toolbox as long ago as the middle of last year. And over the course of 16 games, our Head Teacher has been inable to provide this player with the most elemental requirements to field the position. Instead, we've gone on starting Trey Teague.

And then, facing a team known to blitz and given 14 days to prepare our organization decides to help our ploddingly slow QB by REMOVING the shotgun from our playbook.

I'm frankly flabbergasted that
a> a HC in the NFL would admit such a thing when doing so provides you no advantage and surely provides harm.

b> a HC in the NFL could find no other alternative than simply to ADMIT such a failure in his players.

I ... I ... I'm just at a loss for words. How could we have sunk so low? Had we not considered ... mmm ... benching him? Had we not considered ... teaching him the position? Acquiring an alternate? Not releasing Billy Conaty? Emphatically requiring Tom Donahoe to draft a Center sometime over the last two drafts?

We can't execute the Shotgun. Just friggin great. SO ... let's just remove it from the playbook. It really, really paints what sort of thoughts have to be going through Bledsoe's mind while he's wearing defensive lineman.

caveboy
11-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Hmmm, so we got rid of Billy Joe when he admitted not reading the playbook, but we keep a center that can't shotgun snap...

Ok, sounds good!

The_Philster
11-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Billy Joe would have gotten his ass kicked the following day if he hadn't been cut. Can you imagine a confrontation between someone who didn't study the gameplan and, Mr. Intensity himself, Chris Spielman? :eek:

Lone Stranger
11-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Rather unfortunately GW is now sounding like Wade Phillips, he of punt-catcher fame. Unbelievabe........Except Phillips did win with the Bills.

helmetguy
11-14-2003, 05:47 PM
I'm with 'Ology on this one. Phil will attest to my stance when we hired him. I wasn't sold on him at all and, as I told Phil, was willing to give him a chance. Wouldn't you know it? He used up his chance BEFORE the season even started; with his crap about making the Bills "a more disciplined team." Not to mention, too, his cracks about Buffalo's #3 defense-since his D was #1 (in the weakest division in the NFL, mind you). Please note, this is not intended to be an "I told you so" post, which is the wont of some posters here. Mys disdain for Gregg "Tennessee" Williams and his "Tenessee Triumvirate" practically since he slithered into town.