• LouGrant
    The Zone Editor
    • Jul 2002

Price tag for Peerless is getting high

[Sporting News]
    By Allen Wilson/Buffalo News

Price tag for Peerless is getting high
    Oct. 1, 2002
    The club may pay dearly for letting wide receiver Peerless Price play out the final year of his contract. He is putting up tremendous numbers in a revamped passing attack guided by Drew Bledsoe.

Price ranks among the NFL leaders with 28 catches and 367 yards. He has always had the speed to separate from defenders. Now he is running much smoother routes and is more willing to make tough catches in traffic.

Price wants to stay with Buffalo, where he finally has an offense and quarterback to make the most of his talent. But his price tag will only increase if he stays hot. ...

Coach Gregg Williams prefers not to use key starters on special teams, but cornerbacks Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements will be on the kickoff coverage team, a crucial weak spot. They are two of the team's most sure-handed tacklers
    ...MORE...
    Get into the Zone
  • BledsoeTOreedfor6
    • Jul 2002

I say wait until the end of the season and see what the going price for Price is. A guy will play a lot harder trying for that big contract. If they extend him now he may become content

Comment

• Creemoredrinker
      Senior Zoner
      • Sep 2002

Please Enjoy Him This Year

I do NOT expect him back next year. NOT because we can't afford him, but because I expect with his ego he will want the kind of money receivers who have been successful for 5 years are making even though he may have only done it for one. Tom is NO fool and will NOT overpay him.

Comment

• venis2k1
        Youboty can hope
        • Jul 2002

I sure hope he stays, but if it comes down to resigning Winfeild or Price, i would pick Winfeild. hopefully we can keep him here for a few more years though.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
          • Jul 2002

I agree. WR is the easiest posistion to fill IMO. If he leaves that just makes a bigger role for my boy Josh Reed!

If he is smart he would stay here. Can anyone think of a big name FA WR that went on to be the same player with his new team? I can't. They all fall off.

There is Joe horn but he was a nobody in KC. He blossomed after he became a FA

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Maybe we can sign him for a one year deal for when we win the Super Bowl following the 2003 season.
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• JayWood
              The Professor
              • Jul 2002

I have mixed feelings over this topic. One part of me says he goes because he will be asking for a lot of money and TD is no guy to just throw money out to people. But then again where else could he go and have someone like drew bledsoe throwing to him, and be on a team which will be a pre season favorite for the popst season? The grass may look greener on the other side but in life as we all know when you get there alot of times people are dissapointed that they left the great situation they were originaly in.
              When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on tight!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

I beleive that Price will sign with Buffalo. The Bills will be SB contenders next season and offer him the best opportunity to obtain a ring. He knows the offense, he knows the coaching staff, and he knows his team. If he decides to go eleswhere next season just for the money, I hope the door hits him on the arse on his way out. Personally, I'd rather see JR go then Price. Dave Moore can handle the work load.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Just tell him to look at Sam Cowart

The Jets are imploding and his decision to jump ship sure looks pretty dumb now!!

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                    • Jul 2002

Redeye...........I think it is safe to say Reimersma will be gone if he does not take a decent sized paycut. They wanted him to take one this year and his base salary goes even higher next year.

Comment

• BillC
                      The man in charge - Don't U forget it!
                      • Jul 2002

I can see Price getting a ton from The Bengals and wind up underproducing and unhappy.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                        • Jul 2002

Players that leave this team now voluntarily may be forgoing a SB ring! We'll have quite a bit of leverage in this. I can only wonder how many other WRs that will be available would love to come here and would be willing to take reduced level of pay to do so.

Besides, Price will end up as a solid 2nd receiver at year's end. Other than the Minnesota game where he had a monster game, largely b/c of O/T, he's only had 15 catches for 182 yards or an average of 5 for 61. That's about where I'd rank Price. He's capable of the big game as he's shown over the past few seasons. But I doubt he'll have more than one or two more such games this season. After that, expect more of the same average type of performances; 5 for 50-70.

The big reason why all the WRs are doing so much is b/c Drew's on pace to set NFL records for yardage. That doesn't necessarily mean that the WRs are all that much better. We've had two extra Qs to play than other teams too.

Can anyone imagine Price on say Chicago? What do you think he would do there? I don't think very well, certainly not better than he's doing here average-wise.

There's always lots of hype at the beginning of the season but things average out over the entire season. Eg., Brady is on pace to toss 44 TDs. Does anyone really think that'll happen? I agree he's better than most here gave him credit for, but he ain't gonna pitch 44. I'll be surprised if he gets over 30. Same w/ Priest Holmes; does anyone think he'll have 28 TDs rushing that he's on pace for?

If not, then that means their performances will average out over time. That's what will happen to Price, especially now that Drew's using all of his weapons for the first time after the Bear game. Even w/ 35 or 40 tosses, w/ 8 WRs, there's only so many balls to go around if Moulds gets 8 per game.
                        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                          • Jul 2002

Price will end up w/ 1,200 yards and 8 TDs. Certainly on a team that throws for 4,500 yards or so, that's expected for a #2 WR. I don't think most #2s under those circumstances would do any less. If he does that, he's still worth only $2, maybe $2.5M. As many have stated, WRs are a dime a dozen in FAcy. Better ones than Price as well.

He has incentive to stay here. Next year Moulds and Reed will be the go-to guys anyway.
                          Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                            • Jul 2002

Say what you want but with approximately zero quarterbacking, Peerless put up better numbers than Moulds did last year as the number two receiver. What is stopping another team looking at FA's next year, that has one or two good to great receivers, looking at what the Rams did with Hakim and what the Bills are doing with Peerless and Josh, to open up the vault for PP.

We as fans can also spew how righteous we all are about being loyal to your team and fans and not being a money-grubber but A) pro sports teams and fans are NOT loyal to their players for the most part either and will turn on them in a second and B) the average lifespan of an NFL player to make ALL of their professions lifetime earnings is 3-4 years while almost all other professions lifespans are 30-40 years, so they MUST take advantage of the money while they can. It's just a fact of life. Granted, if they're smart (and memorable as a player) they can usually leverage their fame and name for jobs after they retire but a lot of them, if not most of them cannot. PP has to do what is best for him, his family and then the Bills, in that order.

He may get a good offer from the Bills and if it is close to the free agent market he should strongly consider it. With Drew, Moulds and Josh all tied up for a few more years, and a young stud line, this offense should flourish for awhile, maybe even until his NEXT contract comes up.
                            Last edited by Kelly The Dog; 10-01-2002, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Crinoline
                              • Sep 2002

> If he is smart he would stay here. Can anyone think of a big name FA WR that went on to be the same player with his new team? I can't.

Keyshawn! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X