PDA

View Full Version : Mort Says... [Bledsoe/Gilbride]

LtBillsFan66
11-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Joey D. (NYC): Mort, is it just me, or do the Buffalo Bills pass the ball just way too much, especially on first down? It seems that they get themselves in long yardage situations from bad play calling almost every series!! With Travis Henry in the backfield I would think they would depend more on the run, like the team said it was going to do. what's the deal? Is it Gilbride?

Chris Mortensen: From talking to qualified NFL folks who have watch Buffalo tape, they basically agree with you. They believe that the Bills have the talent, that they should be a run-oriented-first offense that takes advantage of Drew Bledsoe's play-action ability. They also think that the protection schemes could be better and that Bledsoe, when protected, is as good as anyone in the NFL. That usually falls on the coordinator, although the head coach has the ultimate authority.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4287

Dozerdog
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Hmmm...... interesting

RedEyE
11-12-2003, 05:58 PM
So the question here would be; Since Donahoe hired Gilbride, does Williams have any true power over his decisions? After all he is the HC. While it probably isn't his call to fire Gilbride, he should at least be able to force some better offensive schemes.

I don't know. It's a coaching carousel...a cluster ****, if you will.

venis2k1
11-12-2003, 06:07 PM
williams can take over the play calling if he wanted to.

IHateTheDullphins
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
williams is a PU-55Y so he won't

Ebenezer
11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
for the 1000th time, it doesn't matter if GW can't or won't override KG. If that is the case then he should be removed as coach.

WG
11-12-2003, 06:28 PM
So how come other QBs in the NFL w/o an Eric Moulds, w/o a Travis Henry, w/ similar, or worse, blocking, are putting up significantly better numbers than Blew?

Are their OCs all brilliant?

HCs all geniuses?

It's funny how those defending Dredsoe cling to any possible shred of hope and/or potential evidence that may somehow vindicate him from any form of responsibility.

And then they still haven't answered the obvious question of "why didn't Blew play better than he is now too last season over the last half when all those same things that Morten says need to be in place were in place, yet Blew still played miserably.

Good questions that the "Support Dredsoe" crowd simply won't, or should I say can't answer.

:)

Short answer fellas:

Mort and a good chunk of the rest of the media are wrong. They've been wrong and have overrated Blew for over a decade now. It is his personal play and mental shortcomings that are indeed a cause for much of the poor play of the team. You can downplay it all you want, but it doesn't change the truth of the matter. You can blame the coaching insofar as it's horrible and deserves as much if not far more heat, but that doesn't vindicate Blew from his share of the responsibility.

AWM, is this the type of "repetitive posting"/thread starting that you referred to earlier? What, everytime some prominent media personality compliments Blew and tries to take the heat off of him you guys like flies jump to it and place it as the "star" on top of your tree. :D

;)

socalfan
11-12-2003, 06:29 PM
He couldn't call plays even if he tried. So don't even bother going there. TD obviously wants KG in Buffalo, and he wants him calling the plays.

WG
11-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Should I start a Blew counterthread for each one of these begun?

:D

I'm sure that would go over well. Yet, the rest of us are subjected to this "Save the Bledsoe" mentality...

:rolleyes:

Where's the :deadhorse Chief? :D

WG
11-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Heck, w/ your mentalities, you don't even blame Blew for all of the throws in the dirt, over, under, behind, etc.

As if those have to do w/ anyone but him.

INTs, stupid fumbles due to holding onto the ball like a rookie.

sabreshockey096
11-12-2003, 07:08 PM
gw and kg suck the need to be fired the play calling pisses me off for example i would see a 3rd and 15 for buffalo and they do a wr screen which is pointless

LarryBoy
11-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
So how come other QBs in the NFL w/o an Eric Moulds, w/o a Travis Henry, w/ similar, or worse, blocking, are putting up significantly better numbers than Blew?

Short answer fellas:

Mort and a good chunk of the rest of the media are wrong. They've been wrong and have overrated Blew for over a decade now. It is his personal play and mental shortcomings that are indeed a cause for much of the poor play of the team. You can downplay it all you want, but it doesn't change the truth of the matter. You can blame the coaching insofar as it's horrible and deserves as much if not far more heat, but that doesn't vindicate Blew from his share of the responsibility.

;)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, so the everyones wrong and your right. By the way, theres an edit button so you dont have to string 5 posts in a row.

Jeff1220
11-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Just wondering...How the heck is this thread a Pro-Bledsoe thread?
It appears, to me, that this is an anit-KG/GW thread.

LtBillsFan66
11-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

Just ignore it. I'm going to from now on.

Billz_fan
11-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone

Just ignore it. I'm going to from now on.

I'll give you a week :D

LtBillsFan66
11-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Billz_fan
I'll give you a week :D

lol

Billsouth
11-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Edited by Mods

STAMPY
11-12-2003, 09:03 PM

HCs all geniuses?

It's funny how those defending Dredsoe cling to any possible shred of hope and/or potential evidence that may somehow vindicate him from any form of responsibility.

And then they still haven't answered the obvious question of "why didn't Blew play better than he is now too last season over the last half when all those same things that Morten says need to be in place were in place, yet Blew still played miserably.

Good questions that the "Support Dredsoe" crowd simply won't, or should I say can't answer.

Short answer fellas:

AWM, is this the type of "repetitive posting"/thread starting that you referred to earlier? What, everytime some prominent media personality compliments Blew and tries to take the heat off of him you guys like flies jump to it and place it as the "star" on top of your tree. :D

;)

how shocking that response was:bowl:

WG
11-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Billsouth
Hy wys get the ***c off the board u whiney bit$h
Oh, OK, I'll grab my crayons and get right outta here...

:rolleyes:

:hump:

:D

Dozerdog
11-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Bills South and Wys-

Consider yourselves warned - one more ouitburst and y'all will get a short vacation

Tatonka
11-12-2003, 09:33 PM
i fought the law ... and the ... law ... won....

:lol:

Mr. Miyagi
11-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Hey guys. Really. Trust me on this. Use Ignore. It works.

My board life has never been better. :D

JJamezz
11-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Hey guys. Really. Trust me on this. Use Ignore. It works.

My board life has never been better. :D

AMEN my Asian brutha ;)

TigerJ
11-12-2003, 10:45 PM
With what the offence has done this year, I think everyone is fair game. The offensive line, Drew Bledsoe, Kevin Gilbride, and Gregg Williams, and Tom Donahoe too. I know not everyone will be replaced, nor should everyone be canned. I don't think you can successfully replace that much of a team in one offseason, but Tom Donahoe, who will probably survive this mess has to be willing to look at everyone and start replacing the worst offenders and hope the changes he makes are able to raise the level of play for those who are left. I can't believe that after this season Tom Donahoe can still be smitten with anyone on this offence whether they were his pick, his signing or not.

mybills
11-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

Exactly! :up:

It's no secret that I never liked Drew, but even I didn't read it like that! :snicker:

justasportsfan
11-13-2003, 08:42 AM
You guys pissed off wys soooo bad he came here w/ a vengence. Watch him turn every thread into a Drew sucks thread . This is kinda surprising. He's never done that before. :huh:

He came back to .......:deadhorse Those animal rights activists should be knocking on his door anytime soon.

Buckets
11-13-2003, 08:42 AM
I hate to admit it but WYS is not totaly wrong. DB looked mighty shakey in the Dallas game. That said, it has been shown that it is not necessary to field the best OB in the league to win a SB. The Ravens did it with Dilfer. The coaches have to prepare the team properly and call the right game. As fans we don't want to hear things like we didn't run the shotgun cause Teague can't snap it that far.

caveboy
11-13-2003, 09:02 AM
"The Ravens did it with Dilfer. The coaches have to prepare the team properly and call the right game. "

Good point. I've said that before. Put AVP in as the next Dilfer. But then, we win the SB and GW releases him.

;-)

wys - Drew's recent inability to perform is not the reason we haven't run the ball though. You would think a coach or co-ordinator, seeing their QB struggle, would resort to running the ball far more until he came out of the slump, no?

There is a clear need here of running to set up the pass/play action, instead it's a clear case of throwing to set up the punt. Yeah, that's it! Drew doesn't want to hurt Moorman's avergae by completing passes and moving the ball farther downfield.

:-]

mybills
11-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by caveboy

There is a clear need here of running to set up the pass/play action, instead it's a clear case of throwing to set up the punt. Yeah, that's it! Drew doesn't want to hurt Moorman's avergae by completing passes and moving the ball farther downfield.

:-]

:lolcry:

askabry
11-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
... From talking to qualified NFL folks who have watched Buffalo tape...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4287

Herein lies the basic difference between listening to the rantings of a lunatic, and listening to those who apparently have "got it wrong"...

Bruce is Loose
11-13-2003, 11:48 PM

HCs all geniuses?

Short answer fellas:

;)

Your depressing and bleak outlook on life must suck... i pity you. Also, you are exceedingly one-sided and close-minded. I suggest you switch names and start over so you dont have to worry about constantly defending your blatantly biased material.

doug45
11-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by tanked

Your depressing and bleak outlook on life must suck... i pity you. Also, you are exceedingly one-sided and close-minded. I suggest you switch names and start over so you dont have to worry about constantly defending your blatantly biased material.

It is very sad to see the amount of personal attacks as are in this thread. This site was to post in an adult way football talk. Bills Football and to see people go after someone for a differing way of thinking has devalued the site.

Tex
11-19-2003, 07:09 AM
This is the exact hole thePats fell into with Pete Carroll as head coach. Week after week putting that kind of presure of Drew, just does not work. I seen it happen for a along time. The Bills need a line that can protect Drew up the middle and give him an honest running game. Drew's best years were with Curtis Martin in the backfield.

The_Philster
11-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Tex
This is the exact hole thePats fell into with Pete Carroll as head coach. Week after week putting that kind of presure of Drew, just does not work. I seen it happen for a along time. The Bills need a line that can protect Drew up the middle and give him an honest running game. Drew's best years were with Curtis Martin in the backfield.

Exactly...and what we need is to keep going with a consistent running game and stop passing on 3rd and short. :angry:

madness
11-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Mort and a good chunk of the rest of the media are wrong. They've been wrong and have overrated Blew for over a decade now.

;)

Sounds like your the one that's overrated.

You can't put a pure pocket QB with limited mobility in a run and shoot offense. Anyone with any knowledge of offensive schemes knows that. Not to mention the QB has to make most of his reads on the fly. Oh, and the one sure thing that a QB has in any other type of offense, the OUTDATED run and shoot doesn't. Knowing where his safety valve will be at all times. So the guy makes more reads than most QB's in the league and take a physical beating for it when WR's don't make the right adjustments and you want to trash him for that? Glad your opinion only counts on these message boards. Mort and "the rest of the media" generally use logic in their opinions.

Did he stiff you on an autograph or something? So I guess all his accomplishments weren't because of his talent. He should probably thank everyone who ever caught a pass from him for all his pro-bowl selections and accomplishments.