X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Ricky Ray for QB anyone?

The Great Blue North Draft Report calls him the best player in the CFL this year even though he's not the MVP. He plays QB for the Edmonton Eskimos, has NFL size at 6'3" and 215, a "live arm," quick delivery, can make all the throws and has an especially nice touch on the deep ball. He's completed 68% of his attempts this season for 4,500 yards and 36 TDs against 13 Ints. He's 24 years old.

Here's the link:

He's mentioned in a news article on the front page of the site under Nov. 13. I think it's time to kick Van Pelt upstairs to a coaching position. Whether Buffalo changes coaches next year or heaven forbid keeps the bozos we have now, there's room for AVP to coach QBs since the chief bozo (KG even more than GW) is handling QBs now. Maybe that has something to do with DB's regression to rookie-like behavior. Buffalo could sign Ricky Ray to provide legit competition for whoever else is here to QB the Bills whether DB survives the offseason or another free agent is signed or a QB is drafted.

Whadaya think?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I'm not adverse to bringing in competition- at any position!

Comment

• nolimit
      Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
      • Aug 2003

can he scamble?

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

If you check out the article The Spaz gave a link to, nolimit, the answer seems to be a resounding yes.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• User Manuel
            The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
            • Nov 2003

If he can play, bring him in!!

Comment

• IHateTheDullphins
              New and Improved!!
              • Aug 2003

It would be nice to have some mobility at the position.
              Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

• clumping platelets

Is he a FA?

Comment

• bobblehead
                  • Nov 2003

I know this is not the popular line of thinking right now, but If this guy can play, I have faith that Donahoe will get him here.
                  When it's game time, it's pain time.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                    Is he a FA?
                    He was with the 49ers for a little bit so he has been in NFL camps. I'm not sure how long he is signed with Edmonton.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

Doesn't the NFL have some sort of agreement with the CFL that allows NFL teams to sign CFL players even when their contracts have not expired"

I just did a bit of research. CFL players may sign an NFL contract if they are entering the option year of their CFL contract but not before.

Here's a link:

I'll see if I can find any info on Ray's contract.
                      Last edited by TigerJ; 11-13-2003, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• ryven
                        • Jan 2003

He sound like he could be a solid pick up. Hell the last time we got a QB out of the CFL he worked out great when he had the chance to play.

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Ricky Ray signed as a free agent with Edmonton in May 2002. So far I've not been able to find the length of the contract. If it was no more than two years with an option, then Buffalo or any NFL team could sign him.

The Great Blue North site says, "NFL teams are free to sign CFL veterans to tryout contracts until early in the new year once the Canadian league season is completed."

It's tough to verify this kind of stuff though.
                          Last edited by TigerJ; 11-13-2003, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• bobblehead
                            • Nov 2003

This story is floating around the message boards, too. It looks like quite a few teams are after him, most notably Parcells. May end up being a bidding war, maybe not for big money, but a bidding war nonetheless.
                            And as long as we are paying for #11, we are not going to jump into the fray to get this guy. I know I opined differently earlier in the thread, but if there are already 'named' teams in association with him, then that changes things. Sorry kids.
                            Last edited by bobblehead; 11-13-2003, 01:53 PM.
                            When it's game time, it's pain time.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                              Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

He is definitely a great QB and would fit into the Bills system. He can scrammble with the best of them. He ran for 231 yards this season and a TD

He need 9 yards to have 3000 career yards, and he has only played 18 games. He has 24 TDs versus 9 INTs.

He has led an offense that had an average of 40+ points per game, and he did it with only three downs.

I have watched him all year and thought he'd be a good fit for the Buffalo Bills.
                              When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X