PDA

View Full Version : Gilbride gives his point of view about the Bills offensive problem

socalfan
11-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Here it is - His perception is different from mine. I don't think you need a big play to stop the blitz. Just a play.

This year, we don't have quite the explosiveness that maybe we did have," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "So now what we try to do is go to the running game. People know that, so they come after you a little different. Instead of playing a lot of two-deep (zone), which is what they did, now they are coming up and coming after us. What you do to stop that is make a big play. We had a couple of chances to try and get it done. If we had just done it once or twice it would have forced them to back off, which would have allowed us to continue to run the ball. We've run the ball reasonably well, but the problem is once you start running the ball and they realize that's all you can do, they put nine or 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and that pretty much eliminates that."

more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031113/1013330.asp?tbd1013330.asp)

Ebenezer
11-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by socalfan
Here it is - His perception is different from mine. I don't think you need a big play to stop the blitz. Just a play.

This year, we don't have quite the explosiveness that maybe we did have," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "So now what we try to do is go to the running game. People know that, so they come after you a little different. Instead of playing a lot of two-deep (zone), which is what they did, now they are coming up and coming after us. What you do to stop that is make a big play. We had a couple of chances to try and get it done. If we had just done it once or twice it would have forced them to back off, which would have allowed us to continue to run the ball. We've run the ball reasonably well, but the problem is once you start running the ball and they realize that's all you can do, they put nine or 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and that pretty much eliminates that."

more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031113/1013330.asp?tbd1013330.asp)

tell Miami you can't run 42 times a game...

No dobut losing Price, JR and Centers has hurt the passing game, but...

3.3 + 3.3 + 3.4 =10 yards...TH is averaging 3.7 yards per carry...put it in his hands...if the defense is catching on then make a better game plan. When my wife can predict the plays while listening to the radio there is something wrong.

KG could have explained the problems with the Buffalo offense by looking in the mirror.

askabry
11-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks Kevin. Perhaps you could explain to me how that remarkable philosophy didn't stop the Bengals from running the ball 57 times without a qualified #1 en route to a victory on Sunday.

But frankly, I don't think you're going to convince me.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Eb - Gilbride would not take your suggestion of running for 3.7 yds per carry, because he claims that the defense would stack 9-10 guys in the box. In which case you wouldn't be able to run for a 3.7 ypc average.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by askabry
Thanks Kevin. Perhaps you could explain to me how that remarkable philosophy didn't stop the Bengals from running the ball 57 times ........

Askabry - I think he addressed this in the quote. I think he would say that if the defense stacked 9-10 guys in the box, then Cincinatti would have been able to make the big play....he is saying because we can't, we therefore cannot run like Bengals did.

Earthquake Enyart
11-13-2003, 11:49 AM
C'mon Kev. People bring in the dime on third and one. Who are you crappin?

justasportsfan
11-13-2003, 11:51 AM
We've run the ball reasonably well, but the problem is once you start running the ball and they realize that's all you can do, they put nine or 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and that pretty much eliminates that."

The run should open up the big play. Remember the Jags game Kevin? Duh!!!!

This idiot has it reversed. Last years pass play opened up the run. Well, once coaches caught up, our O play went down the second half of the season.

How stupid can anyone be and yet they are paying him $$$$?

Mr. Miyagi
11-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

The run should open up the big play. Remember the Jags game Kevin? Duh!!!!
Took the words right out of my mouth. :bf1:

don137
11-13-2003, 11:55 AM
why do other teams with a lot less talent man for man on offense are able to have a better offense both running and throwing the ball than Buffalo?

As Marv Levy use to say...'the mark of a good team is to have the opposition know what you are going to do and still not be able to stop you'...That is why good teams run on 3rd and 1 and are able to convert the first down instead of throwing the ball down field for an incompletion.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Guys - Kevin is saying we cannot make the big play. He is saying that the receivers cannot take it to the house when the defense stacks 8-10 in the box. He is saying Drew cannot execute the big play.

The Spaz
11-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Guys - Kevin is saying we cannot make the big play. He is saying that the receivers cannot take it to the house when the defense stacks 8-10 in the box. He is saying Drew cannot execute the big play.

Are you trying to defend KG?!:ebenezer:

Mr. Miyagi
11-13-2003, 12:04 PM
No, sounds more like he's trying to point out KG is a moron.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:05 PM
NO NO NO! My opening point is that we need a play not a big play just a play. But because KG is blind to that point he argues himself into the corner of not running the ball. Because of his assumprtion of needing a big play the Bills cannot function offensively. Just think about last week in Dallas. Drew couldn't any passes, so therefore KG's reasoning and action go like this....The defense will stack if we run, we won't be able to run then, so what we need to do is get a big play, so they won't stack and we then can run.

The Spaz
11-13-2003, 12:06 PM
NO NO NO! My opening point is that we need a play not a big play just a play. But because KG is blind to that point he argues himself into the corner of not running the ball. Because of his assumprtion of needing a big play the Bills cannot function offensively. Just think about last week in Dallas. Drew couldn't any passes, so therefore KG's reasoning and action go like this....The defense will stack if we run, we won't be able to run then, so what we need to do is get a big play, so they won't stack and we then can run.

Ok I see. Thank god!:laughter: :shake:

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:07 PM
No, I'm not crazy....KG is crazy...

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:10 PM
At least now I understand were that crap...We have to get a fast start and play fast comes from....It's because it is KGs logical conclusion to his arguement and GW actually must buy into what KG is saying although he is obviously frustrated by the results. I guess all the KG has to do to keep GW on board is to point out the first 2 Bills games and say, see what happens when you start fast and play fast.

mybills
11-13-2003, 12:11 PM

Drew said the same thing in his interview "one big play" ..I was wondering which idiot he chose to mimic! ;)

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by don137
why do other teams with a lot less talent man for man on offense are able to have a better offense both running and throwing the ball than Buffalo?

As Marv Levy use to say...'the mark of a good team is to have the opposition know what you are going to do and still not be able to stop you'...That is why good teams run on 3rd and 1 and are able to convert the first down instead of throwing the ball down field for an incompletion.

That is exactly how most games run. But if you come at it with KGs philosophy they cannot possibly run this way. The Bills will never be in a normal type of game with KG as OC. There will never be back and forth 10 play drives down the field for field goals and TDs when the score is close. Because his philosophy forces the offense to always look for the big play, in order to be able to run.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by mybills
Drew said the same thing in his interview "one big play" ..I was wondering which idiot he chose to mimic! ;)

In that case you really don't want DRew calling his own plays. It wouldn't make any difference.

Mr. Miyagi
11-13-2003, 12:16 PM
In summary, instead of running to set up the pass, KG is looking to pass to set up the run, which according to his logic would open up the pass.

KG's logic is like a dog chasing his tail, going round and round.

justasportsfan
11-13-2003, 12:21 PM
People say we don't have other big play recievers other than Moulds. When we let the run set up the pass , Shaw had a huge play for a TD against the Jags. Granted in was the Jags, why hasn't he tried that again? Maybe he watched Sheppard who won't use a play that worked til' next year.

It's that easy, yeah dumbass Gilbride. Maybe we should send Miyagi there to punch him.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:22 PM
I think it is worse than that....his philosophy is you need to get a big play....if there is no big play then you can't win...cause you can't run because the defense will stack the box.

That's why the Jets game last year happened the way it did, one big play after another. That isn't a normal game....but it is the result of his philosophy.....YOU HAVE TO HAVE A BIG PLAY...so he goes out and tries his best to call a play that will be a big play. That's why in the first two games you saw Drew go long....because KG thinks you have to have a big play. Not that a big play is the result of causing the defense to defend a normal game.

Pride
11-13-2003, 12:30 PM
I give up :rolleyes:

KG is a F***ing Moron!

justasportsfan
11-13-2003, 12:38 PM
GW and KG has lost their players. Drew said he would want to run the no-huddle. Whether he can pull it off or not remains to be seen but the fact is your qb wants to go a different route from what the OC's philosophy is, means to say they don't like what KG brings to the table.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
I read it more as they don't like the results and are frustrated and want to try something different....but since they aren't OCs they really can't put a plan together.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 12:41 PM
It's almost like you want to walk into their office and say --- Hey guys lets get back to the basics ala Lombardi.

askabry
11-13-2003, 02:24 PM

Askabry - I think he addressed this in the quote. I think he would say that if the defense stacked 9-10 guys in the box, then Cincinatti would have been able to make the big play....he is saying because we can't, we therefore cannot run like Bengals did.

On the contrary; KG did not address the Cincinnati situation because their opponent did load the box.

The point is, if you have commitment, you dictate to the defense what you intend to do. It certainly is a working paradigm but not one Kevin prefers.

RedEyE
11-13-2003, 03:09 PM
Using the pass to set up the run has always been Gilbride's philosophy and it thoroughly sucks.

IMO, knowing the passing problems of this team, I would rather see the offense run 80% of the time and utilize the short pass for those needed advancements. In turn the defense will play short and that, in turn, will open the "big-play" allowing the Bills to stretch the defense. Making the opposing defense stop the run makes more sense because it eats up valuable clock time for opposing offenses and wear out linebackers and DL. Bellicheck and the Patriots have been doing this successfully for years and without a decent running back. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell Gilbride is thinking. This statemnet just proves that he does not belong in Buffalo.

zone
11-13-2003, 03:12 PM
I was reading the article on drew, and this is what are fearless OC puked out of his mouth.

"This year, we don't have quite the explosiveness that maybe we did have," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "So now what we try to do is go to the running game. People know that, so they come after you a little different. Instead of playing a lot of two-deep (zone), which is what they did, now they are coming up and coming after us. What you do to stop that is make a big play. We had a couple of chances to try and get it done. If we had just done it once or twice it would have forced them to back off, which would have allowed us to continue to run the ball. We've run the ball reasonably well, but the problem is once you start running the ball and they realize that's all you can do, they put nine or 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and that pretty much eliminates that."

SO NOW WHAT WE TRY TO DO IS GO TO THE RUNNING GAME!!!!!

WERE THE F WAS I WHEN THIS HAPPENED!

zone
11-13-2003, 03:13 PM
sorry guys, have not been on all day and I did not see the other thread on this topic. Was reading the article and got a little crazy....

RedEyE
11-13-2003, 03:16 PM
I would rather watch Buffalo lose after running the ball 40-45 times in a game, then continue to watch Bledsoe take a beating. The current configuration causes too many turnovers. The sacks mount up, the fumbling happens or Bledsoe forces the INT. Run the football.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
.......IMO, knowing the passing problems of this team, I would rather see the offense run 80% of the time and utilize the short pass for those needed advancements. ......... Making the opposing defense stop the run makes more sense .........

No doubt about it for me. You run and you prevent 8-10 in the box setting quick pass plays that if broken will go for big distances. You throw the ball the 10 yards to guys that are covered 1 on 1. You screen to the inside. Those plays can break off big chunks of yardage.

But Gilbride thinks about throwing the ball 20-50 yrds and Drew just does not have that type of time. You can't do it in the 3 seconds at tops that he is getting to setup and throw.

mchurchfie
11-13-2003, 03:22 PM
I would rather watch Buffalo lose after running the ball 40-45 times in a game, then continue to watch Bledsoe take a beating. The current configuration causes too many turnovers. The sacks mount up, the fumbling happens or Bledsoe forces the INT. Run the football.

Excellent points, I totally agree.:up: Gilbride is going to destroy the confidence of many of these young players along with our QB because of all of the positions that he puts them in. I've never despised an OC so much in my life, he's killing us.:shakeno:

mchurchfie
11-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Basically what Gilbride is telling every DC in the League is that if you bring 8 men in the box I am going to take my chances and pass the ball thus eliminating any chance of surprise...thus making the Offense one dimensional and also showing a total lack of confidence in the RB and OL.

zone
11-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
GW and KG has lost their players. Drew said he would want to run the no-huddle. Whether he can pull it off or not remains to be seen but the fact is your qb wants to go a different route from what the OC's philosophy is, means to say they don't like what KG brings to the table.

Just look at the dallas game and watching what would happen on the sideline... I saw on 2 different occations on 3rd and short TH get pulled from the game, and he was not happy at all. Then I saw drew all but punch KG, it was the most animated I have ever seen him.

They (the players) deffinitly know that KG is the cancer.... it's to bad there is nothing we can do to cut it out!

RedEyE
11-13-2003, 03:31 PM
I think that this Buffalo team could explode if they focused solely on the run. I'd like to see a volitale mixture of two back sets, rotating Henry, Gash, Morris and McGahee in to tear up the turf.

RedEyE
11-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by zone

Just look at the dallas game and watching what would happen on the sideline... I saw on 2 different occations on 3rd and short TH get pulled from the game, and he was not happy at all. Then I saw drew all but punch KG, it was the most animated I have ever seen him.

They (the players) deffinitly know that KG is the cancer.... it's to bad there is nothing we can do to cut it out!

I hadn't noticed that, but if the players are starting to get edgy that could only mean good things. The players have been rather silent sbout the play calling and I think if they make enough noise things would change. We need someone to get verbal.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Could you imagine 3rd and 1 with Morris lined up behind Gash.....you wouldn't need a frikkin offensive line to get the 1 yard.

stuckincincy
11-13-2003, 03:43 PM
That's ok. KG drives a sane man to madly drink.

zone
11-13-2003, 03:44 PM
it's unreal. the way this man thinks, the worst part is he is running our offense!

RedEyE
11-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Could you imagine 3rd and 1 with Morris lined up behind Gash.....you wouldn't need a frikkin offensive line to get the 1 yard.

That would be a nasty burst!:up:

socalfan
11-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Even on a play action fake in that lineup....Drew could get big yards with a short pass to Morris after he cleared the line.

zone
11-13-2003, 03:47 PM

Gash is a FB? I thought he was a WR.

The Spaz
11-13-2003, 03:50 PM

Gash is a FB? I thought he was a WR.

Yeah really? I have no idea what game some of you are watching apparently you didn't get the memo the guy plays WR.:shakeno: :confused: :xplode:

mchurchfie
11-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Could you imagine if McGahee got back to that 4.2 forty form again...him breaking into the secondary when the defenses crowded 8-9 men in the box....cya!!:pant:

socalfan
11-13-2003, 03:57 PM
That's the day I'm looking forward to. Henry is good, but to see McGahee, crack the line and take it to the big house.

mchurchfie
11-13-2003, 04:01 PM
That's the day I'm looking forward to. Henry is good, but to see McGahee, crack the line and take it to the big house.

Oh yeah.:up: Thurman Thomas was one of the most prolific RBs to play this game but that was the one thing he lacked..that breakaway speed..he usually would get caught from behind...but he was still GREAT.

RedEyE
11-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie

Oh yeah.:up: Thurman Thomas was one of the most prolific RBs to play this game but that was the one thing he lacked..that breakaway speed..he usually would get caught from behind...but he was still GREAT.
Lot's of similarities between Henry and Thurman.

zone
11-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Lot's of similarities between Henry and Thurman.

I agree. If they would just give henry the rock enough, he would give us 100+ every game.

socalfan
11-13-2003, 04:12 PM
Remeber how Thurm used to catch those long passes along the sidelines. Coming out of the backfield he was a joy to watch. I think he gets into the hall on the first ballot.

Gunzlingr
11-13-2003, 04:26 PM
I think this is possibly the best thread ever!

zone
11-13-2003, 04:37 PM
"Moulds walked gingerly out of a position meeting on Monday"

KG has ruined our season, offense, playoff hopes, and general credibility as a contender in this legue.

He is also killing #80, Thanks to KG ans his brilent 1 big play mentality, we have our #1 weapon out there trying to fight tooth and nail making his injury prolongly worse.

If we could just run the darn ball it would help our o-line develop teamwork as a group, as well as confindence. It would help our qb get his rythm on some PA passes, and it would certinly give #80 a break from running down field trying his hardest to beat defenders only to turn and see a 8 or 9 man blitz taking his qb down.

KG will not be in b-lo next year, but the players that he is getting hammered because of his pee-brained offensive play calling will be.

RedEyE
11-13-2003, 05:39 PM

KG will not be in b-lo next year, but the players that he is getting hammered because of his pee-brained offensive play calling will be.

I'm not too sure he will. I think that Donahoe might buy into his backass theories. I'm certain that GW will get the axe. His contract wil be up for renewal and after the season we've had, Wilson or TD won't ask him to come back.

I'm seriously worried about Gilbride or LeBeau getting premoted.

Lone Stranger
11-13-2003, 06:40 PM
There is a reason why KG has never held a job with any team. He is inflexible in his thought process and lives and will die with the pass. It is an inherent flaw is his psyche.