• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • socalfan
    Old Fogey from Cali
    • Feb 2003

Gilbride gives his point of view about the Bills offensive problem

Here it is - His perception is different from mine. I don't think you need a big play to stop the blitz. Just a play.

This year, we don't have quite the explosiveness that maybe we did have," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "So now what we try to do is go to the running game. People know that, so they come after you a little different. Instead of playing a lot of two-deep (zone), which is what they did, now they are coming up and coming after us. What you do to stop that is make a big play. We had a couple of chances to try and get it done. If we had just done it once or twice it would have forced them to back off, which would have allowed us to continue to run the ball. We've run the ball reasonably well, but the problem is once you start running the ball and they realize that's all you can do, they put nine or 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and that pretty much eliminates that."

more
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by socalfan
    Here it is - His perception is different from mine. I don't think you need a big play to stop the blitz. Just a play.

This year, we don't have quite the explosiveness that maybe we did have," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "So now what we try to do is go to the running game. People know that, so they come after you a little different. Instead of playing a lot of two-deep (zone), which is what they did, now they are coming up and coming after us. What you do to stop that is make a big play. We had a couple of chances to try and get it done. If we had just done it once or twice it would have forced them to back off, which would have allowed us to continue to run the ball. We've run the ball reasonably well, but the problem is once you start running the ball and they realize that's all you can do, they put nine or 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and that pretty much eliminates that."

more
    tell Miami you can't run 42 times a game...

No dobut losing Price, JR and Centers has hurt the passing game, but...

3.3 + 3.3 + 3.4 =10 yards...TH is averaging 3.7 yards per carry...put it in his hands...if the defense is catching on then make a better game plan. When my wife can predict the plays while listening to the radio there is something wrong.

KG could have explained the problems with the Buffalo offense by looking in the mirror.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• askabry
      • Jul 2002

Thanks Kevin. Perhaps you could explain to me how that remarkable philosophy didn't stop the Bengals from running the ball 57 times without a qualified #1 en route to a victory on Sunday.

But frankly, I don't think you're going to convince me.
      what the last four years of a Republican House, Senate and Presidency has gotten us ...
      • tax cuts for the wealthy in the hundreds of billions
      • 1,000 dead American servicemen
      • the U.S. Constitution trampled upon
      • our national debt growing into the TRILLIONS of dollars
      • implicit lies and consistent obfuscations of the truth regarding Iraq

I can hardly wait to see what four more years will get us.

Comment

• socalfan
        Old Fogey from Cali
        • Feb 2003

Eb - Gilbride would not take your suggestion of running for 3.7 yds per carry, because he claims that the defense would stack 9-10 guys in the box. In which case you wouldn't be able to run for a 3.7 ypc average.

Comment

• socalfan
          Old Fogey from Cali
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by askabry
          Thanks Kevin. Perhaps you could explain to me how that remarkable philosophy didn't stop the Bengals from running the ball 57 times ........

Askabry - I think he addressed this in the quote. I think he would say that if the defense stacked 9-10 guys in the box, then Cincinatti would have been able to make the big play....he is saying because we can't, we therefore cannot run like Bengals did.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

C'mon Kev. People bring in the dime on third and one. Who are you crappin?

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

We've run the ball reasonably well, but the problem is once you start running the ball and they realize that's all you can do, they put nine or 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and that pretty much eliminates that."
              The run should open up the big play. Remember the Jags game Kevin? Duh!!!!

This idiot has it reversed. Last years pass play opened up the run. Well, once coaches caught up, our O play went down the second half of the season.

How stupid can anyone be and yet they are paying him $$$$?
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 11-13-2003, 11:53 AM.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan

The run should open up the big play. Remember the Jags game Kevin? Duh!!!!
                Took the words right out of my mouth.

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

why do other teams with a lot less talent man for man on offense are able to have a better offense both running and throwing the ball than Buffalo?

As Marv Levy use to say...'the mark of a good team is to have the opposition know what you are going to do and still not be able to stop you'...That is why good teams run on 3rd and 1 and are able to convert the first down instead of throwing the ball down field for an incompletion.

Comment

• socalfan
                    Old Fogey from Cali
                    • Feb 2003

Guys - Kevin is saying we cannot make the big play. He is saying that the receivers cannot take it to the house when the defense stacks 8-10 in the box. He is saying Drew cannot execute the big play.

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

Guys - Kevin is saying we cannot make the big play. He is saying that the receivers cannot take it to the house when the defense stacks 8-10 in the box. He is saying Drew cannot execute the big play.
                      Are you trying to defend KG?!:ebenezer:

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

No, sounds more like he's trying to point out KG is a moron.

Comment

• socalfan
                          Old Fogey from Cali
                          • Feb 2003

NO NO NO! My opening point is that we need a play not a big play just a play. But because KG is blind to that point he argues himself into the corner of not running the ball. Because of his assumprtion of needing a big play the Bills cannot function offensively. Just think about last week in Dallas. Drew couldn't any passes, so therefore KG's reasoning and action go like this....The defense will stack if we run, we won't be able to run then, so what we need to do is get a big play, so they won't stack and we then can run.

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

NO NO NO! My opening point is that we need a play not a big play just a play. But because KG is blind to that point he argues himself into the corner of not running the ball. Because of his assumprtion of needing a big play the Bills cannot function offensively. Just think about last week in Dallas. Drew couldn't any passes, so therefore KG's reasoning and action go like this....The defense will stack if we run, we won't be able to run then, so what we need to do is get a big play, so they won't stack and we then can run.
                            Ok I see. Thank god!

Comment

• socalfan
                              Old Fogey from Cali
                              • Feb 2003

No, I'm not crazy....KG is crazy...

Comment

Working...
                              X