The Bills Offense, Gilbride and Bledsoe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

The Bills Offense, Gilbride and Bledsoe.

Last year, while our defense struggled, I brought you an article about all the myriad of issues that confronted it, how it was supposed to function, and what was wrong. Well, surprise, this year, I'm giving you a look at the Bills' offense. As we all know its been terrible since around Thanksgiving last year. Some of those problems last season were largely due to weather, however, a few issues that surfaced then still plague this team. For the course of this review, I'll go over some basics of the "Gilbride" offensive system, its strengths and weaknesses, what teams are doing to us, and then go back over Bledsoe and his strengths and weaknesses as a player, and what could be done now, this year, to fix the problems confronting us.

First, some basic football passing routes:

Cross: Route across the middle of the field, usually the receiver is running parallel with the line of scrimmage. A good rout to use against tight man, or deeper zones

Slant: Angle route over the middle. Very good against man… likely get your WR killed against a zone.

Hitch: Straight curl route, where the WR runs straight and stops, turning in. Very good against zone coverage.

Out: Sideline pattern, where the WR takes a break to the sideline, this is better against man than zone, as the pass has a long way to travel, and the DBs will have a good chance to break on the pass.

Straight: Route straight downfield.

Flat: Flair pass to the HB or slot receiver in the "flat"

Seam: Pass designed to beat the zone, its basically a straight deep route, altered in pattern to split between the deep DBs.

Fly: Straight route down the sideline

Post: Deep slant route. A good route against both zones and man, mainly will work based upon the location of the safeties.

Hook and Go: The receiver runs the basic hitch, or hook route, designed to get the CB to bite on it, and then turns up field for a deep pass. This is best against man, or an aggressive zone coverage.

The System

Gilbride's offensive system has its roots in back to the 1970's with what was then called the "double slot offense". It's innovator was a High School football coach in Ohio, Glenn "Tiger" Ellison. The Run 'n Shoot was a pass first, pass second and pass third offensive system, where the teams using it wouldn't carry a fullback or even tight end on their roster, and the basic formation was 4 WRs, and 1 RB. The playbook itself contained just one planned running play to the running back, the draw, and the running back was there for no real reason than to give a 6th blocker to the QB, and threaten the pass rush with draws and screens. ........MORE........
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 11-13-2003, 04:01 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Fantastic insight!

I've been posting for some time now that I would love to see him under a competent coach.

If you were GM , Ingtar, who would make a great OC for him?

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

hmm... Well, I love what Mike Heimerdinger, OC of the Titans has done. He's a football coach who knows how to move the ball, control the clock and make the most of his talent.

Les Steckel on the Bills staff is a grind it out type of guy, and was the OC of the Titans on their Superbowl run, definitely qualified for the job.

I love the job Norm Chow is doing in USC, to make Carson Palmer look a hero was no small feat... now that he's doing it again makes it clear he's got some serious talent as an OC.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Stewie
        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
        • Aug 2002

Great, great read Ingtar

Maybe Mike Mularkey can come in here and simplify things after Gilbride screwed up. He did it in Pittsburgh.
        Originally posted by Topdog
        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
        Originally posted by mercyrule
        I love Weiner.
        Originally posted by mercyrule
        also cheese

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla admin
          • Jul 2002

Thanks Ingtar

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Great article Ingtar. Some people will disagree w/ that. No way no how will Drew even do anything w/ a decent OC. They already say he's a bust.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

great work ing...

wish you were around more bud.. your insight calms the natives.
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• BidsJr
                • Sep 2002

Bills O suffered at the end of last year even with Price, Riems, and Centers. I think you are absolutly correct about the O Intger. Gilbride might I say might have the highest IQ of the coaching staff but sometimes IQ brings arrogance. If the players can't execute the system than either the System or the Coach has to be changed!
                "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                  • Jul 2002

Great stuff.

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Ingtar, that is by far the best article that I have ever read on this board. Your knowledge and explanation of the game truly helps eliminate the theories and accentuate the facts.

Great, great read.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

It would be interesting what wys has to say about your article. You both may be right on w/ Gilbride but different views on Drew.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        It would be interesting what wys has to say about your article.
                        No it wouldn't.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Ingtar

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33

I love the job Norm Chow is doing in USC, to make Carson Palmer look a hero was no small feat... now that he's doing it again makes it clear he's got some serious talent as an OC.
                            I think the Bills should get Chow and reunite him with Philip Rivers, next years first round pick.

Comment

• clumping platelets

The only true loss is Peerless. However, even with Price, the second half last season wasn't that great. Mark Campbell has done a good job replacing Riemersma. In fact, I do not remember seeing Campbell drop many passes like his predecessor did. I'm not as concerned with the loss of Centers either, I believe that Morris can be the type of player he was.

I believe that replacing Gilbride is the answer AND bulk up the interior of the OL

Comment

Working...
                              X