PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com stats

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 08:46 PM
#1 passing defense in the league

huh- is this possible?

It seems like Denver, Minnesota, and Chicago threw on us-

I thought we did great on rushing defense against both the Jets and Chicago, but we are ranked 24th on rushing defense, by the way Oakland defense is #1 against the rush.

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Anybody out there?

Can this be possible- I find it very difficult to believe that this is true statistically.
check out nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2002/regular

Buffarama
10-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Sort by columns, yards for instance, # of TD passes, and you will see they are under .500 in the bottom half for the most part. I don't know what sorted the Bills to #1 in the link you provided.

RedEyE
10-01-2002, 10:11 PM
I've got different results:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2002/regular?sort_col_1=8

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Sort by passing defense

hit overall defense- then sort by clicking to passing defense

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 10:16 PM
Red eye you sorted by passing/yards/game not overall passing defense

RedEyE
10-01-2002, 10:19 PM
Yeah I see what your saying now....and I'm not believing it any more than you are :eek:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2002/regular

Buffarama
10-01-2002, 10:21 PM
With 9 TD's given up, no INT's, and the amount of yards, other than sacks which is high, I can't see what formula would put them at #1.

RedEyE
10-01-2002, 10:25 PM
This seems more sound >
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teampass&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2002

Passing yards per game is the ultimate decider, although we also need to remember that the 3 out of the 4 Bills games played so far have had 5 quarters instead of 4.

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Agreed- your link makes much more common sense

I think nfl.coms formula must have a bug in it

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 10:33 PM
Even on that site we are 15th overall defense for both rushing and passing- still not too shabby. Too bad we are playing an offensive jaugernut ( spelling? ) this weekend.

LouGrant
10-01-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
#1 passing defense in the league

huh- is this possible?

It seems like Denver, Minnesota, and Chicago threw on us-

I thought we did great on rushing defense against both the Jets and Chicago, but we are ranked 24th on rushing defense, by the way Oakland defense is #1 against the rush. dude-

no where on your link does it indicate Buffalo is #1 in anything. Just because they are at the top of the list doesnt mean anything.

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 10:44 PM
It is a link which rates from top to bottom overall passing defense.

Do you believe it is just a random listing?

I believe it may be a mistake but not that it is a random listing.

just as it ranks from top to botton any other category wich you ask it to search

check out the nfl.com for yourself- click to overall defense then scroll down to passing defense. All that being said I believe 15th would be much more realistic- unless you take out any recption that Watson has allowed-lol

Dozerdog
10-01-2002, 10:46 PM
It's a random listing. Name just one category in which the Bills are at the top or bottom of the league in Defense....

Well, Intrerceptions- we don't have any...

losman2evans
10-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Ok- it is random- I give up

If it were a formula though- one does not have to be at the top of any one category to be first.

Maybe nfl.com was supoose to liost tem from top to bottom and it did not list them properly

But why would they list them randomly rather than in error-

lets see lets put the Bills first and lets put tis other team second and this other one third-

Well I ave sufficiently beat this dead horse- I am convinced that 15 th is much more accurate and that was my initial query-

thanks- but I will not believe it is random on purpose - but I will believe they are listed randomly due to some error in some formula that nfl.com was trying to use.