PDA

View Full Version : winfield and clements

Billsouth
11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
if they r such good cover corners why do they play 10-15 yards off the ball on plays when it is 3rd and 5 or when the ball is on our 10 yard line.

i really think both of our corners r overrated and average. while winfield hits hard and can tackle he is a weak cover corner and has hands of steel. clements does not hit hard and receivers seem to get too much separation on even short routes.

since our season is over, i would like to see mcgee and thomas play more at corner. i would also like to see kelsay given an opportunity to play all game at DE.

face it, our team was destroyed at the end of the butler era and we have only improved it with mediocre players. while the improvement is huge compared to where this team started 3 years ago, it is not a playoff team; let alone a super bowl team

Dozerdog
11-14-2003, 10:27 PM
I think it's the defensive scheme. Players don't back off 10-15 yards because they feel like it.

I think it's part of the conservative defensive mind- while the Bills seem to give up 5-10 yards they haven't been burned deep very often- The first Chiefs TD the only one that comes to mind. In the end they aren't giving up a ton of points (except when the offense gives up great Field position)

The Bills are still giving up about 275 yards a game. 3rd best in the league

BillsFever
11-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Our defense has been great. There's no room for me to complain here.

We have to play conservative since we don't have a great DE or DL that can consistently get pressure on the QB. With the way our pass rush is we would get burnt a ton on deep plays if they played closer. There isn't a corner in the NFL that can cover for 6 seconds.