• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dman
    Wagon Master
    • Jul 2002

Off Season Moves????

Yes..I do realize that the Bills are still 'mathematically' in the hunt for a playoff spot...going 6-1 will do it. Looking at the remaining games realistically I'm having a tough time finding 2 games that they can win. Texans here and Giants there...maybe.
    That being said..The offseason is quickly approaching..and things will be done.

My question is how big will the moves be???

It's obvious to me that Greg is 'roast duck' quoting Jerry Sullivan and I'm hoping that Kevin Gilbride is on that grill too. After that is where I wonder about both the coaches and the players.

Does the whole staff get nuked or do we keep a few?

Les Steckel (RB Coach) has coached in 20 years every offensive position in the game and has experience as a pretty good OC 97-99 with Tennessee...? He is also not part of GW's original cast...go or stay?

Tim Krumrie (DL coach)..another new member of the staff...go or stay?

Jerry Gray (DC)..is one of the original staff..but has he shown enough or not...go or stay?

Dick LeBeau (Ass. something or other)..is he the next HC? or does he become something else in the scheme of things ( see Jerry Gray)...go or stay?

Danny Smith(Special Teams)....what do ya think...go or stay?

Pat Ruel (OL coach)..a new guy but has that unit progressed or regressed...go or stay?

Now for the players....

Drew Bledsoe...does that experiment stop in the offseason(+midseason bonus next year)...go or stay?

AVP...he wears a uniform for a reason....go or stay?

A. Winfield.....go or stay?

Travis Henry...this is my most difficult one..player wise...go or stay?

Sam Gash...go or stay?

Sam Adams...go or stay?

Personally, I'd like to see GW, KG, DS, PR and the rest of the position coaches leave.

Keeping Les Steckel as OC, Jerry Gray as DC, Tim Krumrie as DL and Dick LeBeau as Head Coach.

As for the players...bye-bye Drew and AVP, try to keep Winfield, Gash and Adams. I really don't know about TH? I get the feeling that whatever we do will be wrong...but that's just me.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Dman; 11-16-2003, 11:00 AM.
    "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???"
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

i hope we win today.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• G. Host
      Banned
      • Jul 2002

It all depends on who is available

You start from the top and work your way down. If GW is replaced (likely I think) then the new head coach will need to determine what type of game he will be playing and who fits into it.

Doing a GW dump out the baby with the bath water makes no sense. This team needs to be built up not be tore down.

Too me it appears that Winfield is out the door already unless no one gives him a great offer or he is injured (ala Andre Reed).

I see no need to promote Les Steckel from RB coach if he is kept unless there is no better OC available on the open market.

The new HC will want to bring in his own people but will be encouraged by Tom Donahoe (like he did with GW) to keep those coaches who are already signed so not to waste money. He might give coaches a choice of leaving (like Ted C.) but I do think Gilbride will be dismissed regardless.

Regard QBs again it depends upon who is HC - is Drew salvageable or not? Who else is available? Will Drew and his agent negotiate regarding salary and bonus due in November? Regarding Alex if *I* was GM I would encourage HC to offer Alex a coaching job as QB coach and let Alex know that he needs to keep in shape (as good as shape as Alex every is) and they MIGHT ask him to suit up as duo QB/QB coach IF they lose a QB during season.

As a new HC I'd keep the new DL coach assuming I did not have a better candidate and strongly look for better DC and ST coaches. The secondary coaches look OK but might give option to look elsewhere. I'd look far and wide for best OL coach I could find and consider signing an assistant OL coach as well with specific Center experience.

Sam Gash stays (no surprise for me) and Sam Adams as well (assuming his contract is still cap friendly) but I would be looking for a replacement either in free agency or draft so Bills could have a true rotation maybe even a true nose tackle.

Comment

• shelby
        The Vanilla *****
        • Jul 2002

It would make sense to promote LeBeau to HC, but if there are other qualified candidates available (i.e. Coughlin, Denny Green) i would prefer to give them a shot. My ideal HC is still Teddy Cottrell, but somehow i doubt that will happen. As G. Host said, the new HC will probably have a say in who stays and who goes, but if there is a god i would LOVE to see KG go.
        As to the rest....we should keep Henry. He can produce when given the chance, and competition between him and McGahee will improve the performance of both. Adams and Gash should stay. i don't forsee AVP going anywhere. As to Bledsoe, i have a feeling he won't be with us next year. Winfield will be tendered a sweet offer by someone, and he will be gone.

Comment

• losman2evans
          • Aug 2002

GW promised a top 5 defense and has delivered. Our special teams had improved 100 fold in the past two years.

We need to get this offense going. Keep GW and find a new OC.
          Gilbride is not the man for this team.

Keep Travis
          Keep Winfield

Get a quality DE
          Get a proven #2 WR
          Get a quality Guard
          Get a young QB to groom ( ie. Eli Manning )

A Heap, Gonzalez, or a Shockey would make a huge difference.
          I doubt we will draft or be able to get Winslow Jr. , but he would have a big impact.

Make Josh Reed #3

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla *****
            • Jul 2002

i like Bobby Shaw. i think he would make a good #2 WR.

Comment

• hintexas
              • Mar 2003

Since the Bills made such great moves in this past off season on the defensive side of the Ball via free agency. What players will be available in free agency next year to help the Bills?

Comment

Working...
              X