PDA

View Full Version : A Startling contrast in coaching

stuckincincy
11-16-2003, 01:35 PM
This is a *startling* difference in coaching philosophy between the Bill's brain trust and of all people, Cin...

Half time, Bengals and KC tied at 3.

TO CIN 191 KC 88

Rush CIN 20/103 KC 10/20

FD's CIN 12 KC 4

Total plays CIN 40 KC 23

Time: CIN 20:05 KC 9:55

stuckincincy
11-16-2003, 02:19 PM
B'gals 10-6 going into 4th qtr. Amazing. They are RUNNING on 3rd and 3 and 3rd and 4. Sticking to 4-man rush.
They've been slapping Dante Hall senseless.

Hey TD. See Steinback Block. Block Steinback block.

:woot: Warrick just ran punt 68 yds for a td. B'gals 17 -6

Cntrygal
11-16-2003, 07:58 PM
:(

And there's a guy here who tried telling me that our coaching did NOT play a huge roll in our pathetic play.

stuckincincy
11-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
:(

And there's a guy here who tried telling me that our coaching did NOT play a huge roll in our pathetic play.

Wow that's hard to fathom. Bengals coach Lewis and staff aren't doing anything special. Running when they should, mixing the passes, and sticking mostly to 4 defensive linemen with minimal blitzing. For that simple approach, they lead the league in the # of drives longer that 5 minutes.

I daresay, 90 percent of the league's coaches understand that approach and strive for it.

Except our exaulted bunch. I really think GW, KG, and TD have substantial ego problems. Sad.

Cntrygal
11-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I told him to actually watch a game or two of us before making observations off of stats/final scores etc. (I doubt he will, he's too busy knowing everything about all the teams)

stuckincincy
11-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
Yeah, I told him to actually watch a game or two of us before making observations off of stats/final scores etc. (I doubt he will, he's too busy knowing everything about all the teams)

Bingo about reading too much in stats, especially defensive ones in my opinion.

The Bills are a high-ranked defense. But a way to inflate ratings, if that is a term, is to turn the ball over on offense, so that 1) the opponents don't have to march a lot of yards to score when U turn it over in your zone, and 2) turn it over in their zone, making for a long field.

I think the def. is playing only OK. Good effort, but unfortunately few to's and little qb pressure. But IMHO it goes back to the offense. And the brain trust (maybe I should say "brain tryst")

A fellow who thinks that leadership is not vital shouldn't be allowed to handle anything more complicated than wooden blocks :D