PDA

View Full Version : Ralph wanted Gilbride fired last week

G. Host
11-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Adam(Buffalo): Tom, do you think the Bills coaching staff should be fired or is it their personel to blame for these awful couple of weeks?

Tom Jackson: (5:11 PM ET ) I'll just say this. I bet that Kevin Gilbride is fired this week. Les Steckel could be calling their plays next week. Gilbride is the offensive coordinator there and Ralph Wilson wanted to fire him last week.

ESPN Chat (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=375)

I think odds have gone up.

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by G. Host

ESPN Chat (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=375)

I think odds have gone up.

Please lord where art though?!:horn: :couch:

JJamezz
11-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Ya know what though, as much as its a pleasure to hear, there's also the 'too little, too late' aspect...

If it does indeed happen, which I tend to think it finally will (if only to placate the irate fans), I almost feel like what's the :angry: point? After the Jet game, or even at the bye, we had a chance to salvage the season - now we don't.

If TD pulls the plug now, it makes him look like more of a fool than he would have earlier in the season, which by my estimation is exactly what he was trying to avoid by waiting so long in the first place - ironic, isn't it?

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 06:34 PM
I hear you JJ but we have to do something or the players will completely quit and that will be a disaster for next year!

JJamezz
11-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am 100% for it - hell, if I could go up there and help him pack his belongings, I would - but I just think its another slap in the face for the fans. Seems like TD's ego got in the way for too long, and now the season is a wash.

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz
Don't get me wrong, I am 100% for it - hell, if I could go up there and help him pack his belongings, I would - but I just think its another slap in the face for the fans. Seems like TD's ego got in the way for too long, and now the season is a wash.

I'm not sure if TD has an ego or just hoped things would turn around IMO.:)

Typ0
11-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Ya know what though, as much as its a pleasure to hear, there's also the 'too little, too late' aspect...

If it does indeed happen, which I tend to think it finally will (if only to placate the irate fans), I almost feel like what's the :angry: point? After the Jet game, or even at the bye, we had a chance to salvage the season - now we don't.

If TD pulls the plug now, it makes him look like more of a fool than he would have earlier in the season, which by my estimation is exactly what he was trying to avoid by waiting so long in the first place - ironic, isn't it?

I hate to break the news to you but making a move like that at any time once training camp has started is not a way to salvage a season...it's a way to admit you have given up.

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Typ0

I hate to break the news to you but making a move like that at any time once training camp has started is not a way to salvage a season...it's a way to admit you have given up.

No they have given up on GW and KG not the players.

ArcticWildMan
I think we can safely give up now ;)

JJamezz
Originally posted by The Spaz
I'm not sure if TD has an ego or just hoped things would turn around IMO.:)

So you're the one who voted for the first choice on the front page poll... :snicker:

Typ0
11-16-2003, 06:45 PM

No they have given up on GW and KG not the players.

yeah but you don't change the high level direction of the organization like that in the middle of the game....

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:47 PM

So you're the one who voted for the first choice on the front page poll... :snicker:

?? What poll? Give me a link. I doubt I voted for whatever it is. I'm just saying he had confidence in the staff to turn things around and theyhave disappointed him. Now is th etime to show the the wraith now though!:)

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:47 PM

yeah but you don't change the high level direction of the organization like that in the middle of the game....

What high level were GW and KG coaching this year? :lol::)

JJamezz
11-16-2003, 06:49 PM

I disagree - over the last 6 weeks, more than one player has made it known that they weren't pleased with the playcalling - if anything KEEPING Gilbride around was giving up - it was clearly a move to save face as opposed to one for the betterment of the team.

And it would have been enough to strip him of his playcalling duties if they did not want to fire him. There are no excuses. Any idiot could see this season was going down the toilet by the bye week.

JJamezz
11-16-2003, 06:50 PM
on the front page man, there's a new poll every week - in the right hand column

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:51 PM

I just voted. Hey if I assembled a staff I would like them to succeed.

JJamezz
11-16-2003, 06:53 PM
:
I just voted. Hey if I assembled a staff I would like them to succeed.

:up:

BADTHINGSMAN
11-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Seeing how Bills season is over now would be the time to fire KG maybe Steckel can call some plays that make scence.. Today at the game I saw Buffalo run on 3rd and 2 and imagine that it worked.. Then later they threw the ball with same 3rd and 2 and it was incomplete..

mybills
11-16-2003, 07:32 PM
I MUST AGREE with spaz & JJ. Kick his butt to the curb now, this season. Why wait?

Tatonka
11-16-2003, 08:37 PM
i would like to see steckle take over the OC spot for a couple reasons..

one, because that means gilbride is gone.. thank ****** god..

two, i think that steckle's run first offense may be great for the team.. and it may give us a chance to see if he may be the OC to keep around for next year.. ditch GW and KG.. bring in coughlin and if the steckle experiment works for the rest of this season, then he can stick.

although it seems completely out of the realm of possibility right now.. the bills could finish 10-6... we have the defense.. we just need to put points on the board.

BuffaloRanger
11-16-2003, 08:40 PM
TD again proved himself to be a "genuis". That was a great move not firing Gilbride during the bye week. Idiot.

Some say that firing him would have been giving up on the season. How could the Bills offense have done worse than 6 points and 3 points in the last 2 games? Do you realize how horrible that is?

This could be the most disappointing Bills team ever.

Heads must roll.

HAMMER
11-16-2003, 08:41 PM
This is from the same Tom Jackson that said the Pats players hated Bellicheck!

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by HAMMER
This is from the same Tom Jackson that said the Pats players hated Bellicheck!

They probably did at the time and they got pounded 31-0 by us.

BAM
11-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Ralph didn't look very happy today. Hopefully your headline is accurate :up:

:D

Ebenezer
11-16-2003, 08:47 PM
I must say...too late.

BAM
11-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Yep too late. I still think they should anyways. If someone performs subpar (and I think we can all agree GW/KG have been...) they are shown the door. Why should it be different in the NFL? Man i wonder whose d**k they're sucking.

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by BradAlanMiller
Yep too late. I still think they should anyways. If someone performs subpar (and I think we can all agree GW/KG have been...) they are shown the door. Why should it be different in the NFL? Man i wonder whose d**k they're sucking.

Why doofy's of course!

http://www.polyscope.qc.ca/photos/mathieu_doofy.jpg

G. Host
11-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Yep too late. I still think they should anyways. If someone performs subpar (and I think we can all agree GW/KG have been...) they are shown the door. Why should it be different in the NFL?

Because their contracts are guarenteed and the money to be earned (tickets) is almost maxed. And if you fire coaches midseason then it makes it more difficult to attract coaches. :baghead:

TigerJ
11-16-2003, 10:09 PM
I don't think the season is saved by canning Gilbride. I think besides placating irate fans, the brass is also sending a message to players. "We admit that the problem may have more to do with the coaching than with players. It may be to late this year, but we are committed to building a winner and incompetent coaching won't be tolerated any more."

I think players like Takeo Spikes have to be wondering about the decision they made to come to Buffalo. Dumping Gilbride may at least keep their spirits up through the rest of the season.

Throne Logic
11-16-2003, 10:45 PM
The problem isn't just with the play calling. It's with the system Gilbride is forcing down the throats of the players. It's an chaotic mess.

madness
11-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
The problem isn't just with the play calling. It's with the system Gilbride is forcing down the throats of the players. It's an chaotic mess.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

G. Host
11-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Ralph didn't look very happy today. Hopefully your headline is accurate :up:

:D

I just report the news as I find it. Can not say how accurate it was and why ESPN did not report previous week that RW wanted TD or GW to fire Gilbride.

askabry
11-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Once you've realized you've gone down the wrong path, isn't the time to change direction immediately upon recognizing your mistake?

I'd disagree with Typo to this ends; change in an OC does NOT equate to trashing the season. That's simply a change in strategy, and can implicate something as minor as a tweak.

More than that, people need to know ... in all walks of life ... that they are accountable for their actions and will pay for their mistakes. This organization in countless ways fails to do that, starting with the lowest specimens (Rodney Wright), to failed starters (Pucillo, Reed), to OCs.

We accept mediocrity with excuses like "execution", or a lack of player personnel.

So ... it's never too late to turn around, say no more and start anew. Next year's Super Bowl run can start against Indianapolis.

Buckets
11-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by askabry
Once you've realized you've gone down the wrong path, isn't the time to change direction immediately upon recognizing your mistake?

I'd disagree with Typo to this ends; change in an OC does NOT equate to trashing the season. That's simply a change in strategy, and can implicate something as minor as a tweak.

More than that, people need to know ... in all walks of life ... that they are accountable for their actions and will pay for their mistakes. This organization in countless ways fails to do that, starting with the lowest specimens (Rodney Wright), to failed starters (Pucillo, Reed), to OCs.

We accept mediocrity with excuses like "execution", or a lack of player personnel.

So ... it's never too late to turn around, say no more and start anew. Next year's Super Bowl run can start against Indianapolis.

I TOTALY AGREE!!!!

If the Bills don't make changes they're as much as telling the players they have given up on the season.

G. Host
11-17-2003, 08:37 AM
He ought to be demoted and not allowed on the field but made to do research, compile game film, whatever but not paid for not working.

Voltron
11-17-2003, 08:38 AM
The problem with dumping KG right now is that we are still stuck with this extremely complicated offensive playbook that was written by KG. You can't just hand out a new playbook a week before a game and expect the players to be on the same page. I mean they still haven't figured out this playbook and we are 10 games into the season! Even if Les takes over calling plays they are Gilbrides plays and it is a playbook that does not take advantage of any of the players strengths and is confusing not only to Drew and the O-line but the receivers and blockers as well. If you have not read the article by Ingtar33 about the Gilbride system I recommend it to every one. I never knew how hard it was to be a receiver in the NFL until I read that. Even if you have the skills of an Eric Moulds or even a Marvin Harrison this system has too many options and too many things have to be executed PERFECTLY for a play to be made.

askabry
11-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
The problem with dumping KG right now is that we are still stuck with this extremely complicated offensive playbook that was written by KG...

I don't see that at all. It is different if the goal is to make things MORE complicated, but in fact subtraction is the simplest thing to do.

To wit, the Washington turnaround when Steve turned over the OC position. We're not talking about adding pages to the playbook ... we're talking about taking them away. :beers:

G. Host
11-17-2003, 09:37 AM
It is not just the playbook but the choce of plays and when they are called. I get the impression that Gilbride does not know the difference between the players and calls a play for Reed which he would have called for Moulds. He showed this lack of understanding during draft last year when he called Travis Henry "Travis Hunter".

"Travis Henry" what a joke!