PDA

View Full Version : Gilbride countdown thread...

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Tomorrow by 4PM is my guess.

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Tomorrow by 4PM is my guess.

Please god make it so! :angel:

honey
11-16-2003, 06:24 PM
I think I'm starting to agree with you guys. I'll say Tuesday at 8:00am. :D

Ingtar33
11-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Press conference at noon on monday...

firing coordinators in the NFL is not as taboo as taking down the HC in mid stream... but if I was GM I would...

Fire GW and KG.

Lebeau raised to HC
Steckel to OC

Play out the season and see how the team reacts.

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Press conference at noon on monday...

firing coordinators in the NFL is not as taboo as taking down the HC in mid stream... but if I was GM I would...

Fire GW and KG.

Lebeau raised to HC
Steckel to OC

Play out the season and see how the team reacts.

Aye aye captain. Seriously that wouldn't bother me at all!:horn: :beer:

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Hey Ing...is Steckel OC material? His stint as our O-line coach sure hasn't been all that stellar (whether it's his fault is another thing).

Can a line coach make the jump to coordinator?

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Hey Ing...is Steckel OC material? His stint as our O-line coach sure hasn't been all that stellar (whether it's his fault is another thing).

Can a line coach make the jump to coordinator?

I beleive Steckel has been an OC before!:) Pat Ruel is our o-line coach!:)

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 06:31 PM
What position is Steckel in right now?

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Nevermind...looked it up. He's our running back coach right now.

:dizzy:

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:34 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/steckel_les.jpg
Running Backs coach.

The Spaz
11-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Nevermind...looked it up. He's our running back coach right now.

:dizzy:

exactly...lol:)!

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Hell, he CAN'T be any worse than Gilbride. Sign him up.

Ingtar33
11-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Les Steckel?

He was the OC on the Titians Superbowl team in '99. Even an NFL head coach for a single game in ’84 for the Vikings. And he’s the RB coach, not OL coach

He was OC for the Titans from '95-99, and OC for the Buccaneers in 2000

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Question is....does he even want the job? He may not want to be the next fall guy.

JJamezz
11-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Wasn't he OC for the Titans during their SuperBowl year?

I don't imagine he's any great shakes as a coordinator, but one thing the guy DOES do is run the ball... Of course, we may be without Henry for a while...

JJamezz
11-16-2003, 06:38 PM
If it doesn't go down by this time tomorrow, I don't think it's happening at all this season.

Historian
11-16-2003, 07:13 PM
10 am tomorrow morning.

don137
11-16-2003, 07:26 PM
What position is Steckel in right now?

Kind of a personal question isn't it AWM:cp:

Must be getting cold in Alaska :D

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by don137

Kind of a personal question isn't it AWM:cp:

Must be getting cold in Alaska :D

:couch: I hate these long winters

mush69
11-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Sorry Folks but I just don't see it happening. As much as I want hear to the front office say they are Fired, they will not FIRE anyone! If anything happens it will be a complete shock!

:monkey: on the Bills Staff!

Ralph needs to get :firehead:

Expansion Blues
11-16-2003, 07:42 PM
I am a long time Oiler fan and followed them deeply into TN. Steckel loves to run the ball and throw to the Tight Ends in the flat (Frank Wycheck loved him). He is a solid coordinator and is a good fit with a team with a solid defense. He is not going to keep calling passing plays on 3rd and short. The only problem I have with Steckel is the fact that he held McNair back a little too much. He would not have that problem here from what I saw today. When did Bledsoe turn into Elvis Grbac?

Cntrygal
11-16-2003, 08:19 PM
Congratulations Expansion.

:sadwalk:

BAM
11-16-2003, 08:47 PM
:pray:

If the lord answers my prayers, tonight by midnight :D

Ebenezer
11-16-2003, 08:49 PM
I am afraid it won't happen. The season will wind out as is.

stuckincincy
11-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Expansion Blues
I am a long time Oiler fan and followed them deeply into TN. Steckel loves to run the ball and throw to the Tight Ends in the flat (Frank Wycheck loved him). He is a solid coordinator and is a good fit with a team with a solid defense. He is not going to keep calling passing plays on 3rd and short. The only problem I have with Steckel is the fact that he held McNair back a little too much. He would not have that problem here from what I saw today. When did Bledsoe turn into Elvis Grbac?

Thanks for the comments. I've liked the Oilers thru the years. Pastorini, Campbell, Bethea, Bubba, Bum. I even remember Charlie Tolar (sp?). And Billy Cannon - or was he with the old AFL Dallas Texans? And of course, George Blanda.

TigerJ
11-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Not soon enough. Of course I'm right on this one because yesterday was not soon enough. The fact that Buffalo has an experienced OC on the staff besides Gilbride should make it a little easier to get rid of Gilbride. But then again, that was true weeks ago and he's still here.

I don't see why Steckel wouldn't take it on an interim basis. I doubt it will have any bearing on whether he is here after the season unless by some miracle he gets everything turned around and the offence catches fire.

I think the interesting question is: What can a new OC do? He can't throw out what seems to be a fundamentally flawed system and install a new one in mid season, I don't think. Can he simplify Gilbride's offence so that it at least becomes somewhat workable? That is can he cut down the number of reads that receivers and QB are having to make? Whaddaya think, Ingtar?

Ingtar33
11-17-2003, 02:10 AM
short answer... yes

Steckel would have a few advantages replacing Gilbride at this point. One: as a member of the staff he would know the players and language, nothing fundamental would change.

All he would do is toss out the huge playbook Gilbride uses, to what he likes, maybe as small as 40 basic plays. Remember, even in Gilbride's system the WRs do have a basic "rout" with every play. All Steckel would have to do is tell the WRs and QB that the routs are largely static.

This is a temporary move... what Steckel would then do, over the course of the remaining weeks is add more and more of the stuff he likes, in increments, just to keep defenses honest.

Very little time would be wasted on teaching a new system... he'd just use a stripped down version of what we are doing.

The most obvious thing that would be to the fans... is i think most of the vertical passing routs would disappear overnight.... with a lot more swing passes, screens, crossing routs, and the TE will be used. You'll also see the team run in third and short.

northernbillfan
11-17-2003, 02:33 AM
:bf1: great post Ingtar!

Very little time would be wasted on teaching a new system... he'd just use a stripped down version of what we are doing.

The most obvious thing that would be to the fans... is i think most of the vertical passing routs would disappear overnight.... with a lot more swing passes, screens, crossing routs, and the TE will be used. You'll also see the team run in third and short.

You mean I would actually be able to see a run play on third and short??? I can't remember the last time I saw the Bills do something like that. I even forgot that was an option.

And a stripped down version of what we are doing now woulld bwe an improvoemnet!.

SABURZFAN
11-17-2003, 04:37 AM
not soon enough.:mad:

SABURZFAN
11-17-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Pat Ruel is our o-line coach!

another guy who should be fired.:mad:

elltrain22
11-17-2003, 06:51 AM
Yes, it is coming real soon. They should fire him and GW. What an awful team this has become.

Dozerdog
11-17-2003, 07:29 AM
short answer... yes

Steckel would have a few advantages replacing Gilbride at this point. One: as a member of the staff he would know the players and language, nothing fundamental would change.

All he would do is toss out the huge playbook Gilbride uses, to what he likes, maybe as small as 40 basic plays. Remember, even in Gilbride's system the WRs do have a basic "rout" with every play. All Steckel would have to do is tell the WRs and QB that the routs are largely static.

This is a temporary move... what Steckel would then do, over the course of the remaining weeks is add more and more of the stuff he likes, in increments, just to keep defenses honest.

Have we been running a verticle passing game lately? Shaw had the biggest play since week 2 with a slant that he turned into a 36 yarder - and the longest pass play vs Dallas was an 18 yard screen to Morris