PDA

View Full Version : So, what is it?

Dozerdog
11-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Are we pissed because players aren't performing?

Or are we pissed that our players are not executing poorly designed plays.

What I'm getting at is if it's poor execution, then the playcalling is just fine. Good execution makes the plays work-( I assume.)

Or is it piss poor playcalling? If the playcalling is bad, even executing the play correctly will result in failure.

Look at the Bledsoe "Screen" to no one. The WRs were expecting a screen, so they are blocking downfield. The O Line apparently figured it was a screen and they pulled out to block for it. Bledsoe looked to where the RB was supposed to be. Sammy Morris was supposed to be the receiver but he stayed in to provide protection. Bledsoe does the only prudent thing and jettison the ball.

Was it Bledsoe's fault? His WR's aren't even looking for a pass.
Morris? The Dumbass was supposed to be receiving a screen.

Or Gilbride? Calling a screen on 3rd and forever. It's a play doomed to failure even if it was carried out to perfection.

Cntrygal
11-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Now THIS should be a poll.

I vote for the poor playcalling.

Ð
11-16-2003, 11:00 PM
It's the system.

madness
11-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Gilbride.

ajsdx
11-16-2003, 11:06 PM
I don't know anymore. At first I was sure it was the coaching. But as I watch more and more games (a surprising number are being broadcast down here in NC), I get the feeling that the players flat out aren't doing their jobs. Maybe the buck stops with the coaching, and it's GW's fault that the players aren't ready to do their jobs. Maybe the plays KG is calling don't give the team the best probability of winning. Or, maybe the plays suck, but they would work if our talent played up to its potential. A screen pass actually gains a lot of yards if executed properly. Ask the Chiefs (before their last game). Speaking of executions, Sparky's quote comes to mind...

Dozerdog
11-16-2003, 11:07 PM
The thing is, it's a system thta makes all of them look bad.

If Henry did break his leg today- I'm for the following

1- Shut Henry down until 100% healed
2- Same with Moulds
3- Don't even think aboiut McG until the coaches and line are settled
4- Morris & Burns

Typ0
11-16-2003, 11:21 PM
It's BS Gilbride is a loser some of the plays that have been called this season. Last week was pretty good....but he called a pass on 3rd and 2 after Henry put a whole drive together....he screwed us and we could have won IMO. No there are no guarantees he would have gotten a first down...but TH can make two yards out of nothing we have seen it...so why is he not getting the nod in those situations? Today we FINALLY ran a big third down play...lo and behold we got a first down and then some. Our season is now over and it's too late....Gilbride will be on his way out of town soon along with GW because they just can't go out there on sundays and put people in a position to win. People can complain about the players and Bledsoe all they want...but Drew is what we have and anyone that knows football knows he is useless unless he can stand back there and make throws...and then he can shine. Yeah that might be an insurmountable weakness in todays game for a QB...but Drew is not even being put in a situation where he can do what he does best...so screw it it's a classic case of plugging people into a system instead of making system that helps the people shine.

ArcticWildMan
11-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Ingtar hit the nail on the head...it's a system that Drew can't play in.

A GOOD coach impliments a system that capitolizes on his player's strengths. This system we run is not suited for our players. We have the players to run a smash mouth ball control offense but KG insists on running some funky finese game plan that won't work with our present personel.

I'd have to say the #1 reason for our offensive woes is KG's failure to adjust to the loss of Peerless Price. Peerless gave KG a lot of options he doesn't have now and allowed Drew a lot of latitude in how the plays developed. That ability to stretch defenses and cause mismatches in now gone and KG just kept on calling the same plays with guys who didn't have the same ability.

Our entire philosophy was supposed to be a power running game first, a passing game second. Instead, KG refused to buy into that and has tried to force a passing game at all costs. The results are plain to see.

cordog
11-17-2003, 12:24 AM
Its the system. No question. When Gilbride was in Pitt, that team couldnt score either. All of a sudden Gilbride leaves and Mularkey made Kordell Stewart look like a pro bowl QB for a year and they go to the AFC Championship. I do however think the players are responsible also. They arent getting the job done. Gilbride wasnt out on the field when dumbass aiken drops an easy TD. They have all lost confidence in the HC and OC.

RedEyE
11-17-2003, 12:27 AM
I think the whole damn offense looks like ****! From the coaches on down.

northernbillfan
11-17-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
I think the whole damn offense looks like ****! From the coaches on down.

Amen brother!!!

Ebenezer
11-17-2003, 08:39 AM
It's past the system, the coaches and the players. The defense is starting to come around...the offense is in complete disarray. TH is the only thing on the O that works and now he may be on the shelf. The problem did not crop up yesterday or in Dallas or in KC. This started last year when defenses figured out (or watched film) what the Bills were doing. The O (not just Bledsoe) was neutered for most of the last 8 games of last season. At that point tinkering needed to be done that would have addressed those problems and it was not done. Whether that is the fault of the GM, the coach or the players WE WILL NEVER KNOW. Move into this year and after the first 2 wins little things start happening and it's like a 10 year old car...little things keep breaking until the car is not fixable...that is the point where we are know. The cause is not the problem. The car is old and needs overhauling that, when done, will not resemble the old car. Is TD's job of reconstructing this team done? Not by far. The defense is playing well but can be tinkered with a little. The offense has huge holes. Spare me injuries to Moulds and TH, this team lost too must talent in Price, Center, Sullivan and JR. Can the staff right it's own ship? From the past 18 games the answer appears to be, NO. Are there players that are headed for the scrap heap. Yup.

My thoughts.

1. Fire GW and bring in somebody who is willing to look at the positives of this team and keep some semblence of order and discipline. Fire KG.
2. Figure out who is in charge of the D and keep them around to coach that side of the ball. Tinker, mildly, with the DE and S spot.
3. Keep 65% of the offense. Rework DBs deal to make it more cap friendly and tell him to hand the ball off unless directed to pass. TH and EM sit until next year. Keep TH next season or until we are sure that WM can play.
4. Draft a rookie QB to groom through next season. Draft/Sign a playmaking WR and move Reed to #3 were he shone last season.

Earthquake Enyart
11-17-2003, 09:21 AM
They still have not figured out a way to counter the blitz. When a team like the Texans, who have had 8 sacks in ten games, come up with what, 4? in this game?? This is just beyond comprehension. No slant, no swing pass, and they can't even run a screen. Did you see how shocked the Texans were on the one play that Drew did roll out and hit Campbell near the goal line?

I wasn't 100% kidding when I said last week they should go to the full blown run and shoot. At least that has a hot receiver built into every play.

SABURZFAN
11-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
If Henry did break his leg today- I'm for the following

1- Shut Henry down until 100% healed
2- Same with Moulds
3- Don't even think aboiut McG until the coaches and line are settled
4- Morris & Burns

i agree.

SABURZFAN
11-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
They still have not figured out a way to counter the blitz.

ruel has made our OL worse too.they look worse now than ever before.

Throne Logic
11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
My thoughts.

1. Fire GW and bring in somebody who is willing to look at the positives of this team and keep some semblence of order and discipline. Fire KG.
2. Figure out who is in charge of the D and keep them around to coach that side of the ball. Tinker, mildly, with the DE and S spot.
3. Keep 65% of the offense. Rework DBs deal to make it more cap friendly and tell him to hand the ball off unless directed to pass. TH and EM sit until next year. Keep TH next season or until we are sure that WM can play.
4. Draft a rookie QB to groom through next season. Draft/Sign a playmaking WR and move Reed to #3 were he shone last season.

I completely agree with 1, 2, and 3. I could debate 4 in a number of ways, but we've been beating that one up for some time now. What I would as is this:

5. Draft, trade, sign, etc. a good Guard to stick between TT and MW. Although, the current personnel might be able to get the job done with a little rearranging and some good blocking schemes. That, of course, implies good coaching. . .

Ebenezer
11-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
ruel has made our OL worse too.they look worse now than ever before.

This line can run block...don't take that away.

E-Klips
11-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Whatever the case may be, we're 4-6. We can defend the players or the coaches, or whoever, but we're still 4-6. I think it's a mix of poor play and poor coaching that will continue until changes are made. That probably won't be until the end of this season, so prepare for more losses.

askabry
11-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
... The car is old and needs overhauling that, when done, will not resemble the old car. Is TD's job of reconstructing this team done? ....

I like your post and think its credible and mostly point on. I doubt the team shares this opinion above and even if it did it lacks the political capital to overhaul itself.

You are right; we will keep Drew and TD will work cap magic with the old QB, drafting a third round guy to take his place or grabbing another miracle cure guy off somebody else's scrape heap (read: Marcus Jones). Which won't change a thing.

A new HC, new OC will unlikely bring the change necessary to Drew unless you can enforce a "pitch count" to him. I am convinced that if a team can win with Rudi Johnson running the ball most the 57 carries with Kitna at QB we could too ... but the remainder of the O has to change to reflect it.

If Jerry Gray is responsible for the Defense ... I would honestly move him to HC. A defensive-minded orientation from the top of the staff nearly ensures a "Buddy Ryan-esque" coordination between components of the team. Then all that remains is to find the OC that fits your overall approach.

And oh by the way, let's get ourselves a Center, a #2 WR, a Guard and a pass-rushing DE along the way.