PDA

View Full Version : Getting new coaches could be trouble!!!

eddiehaskill
11-16-2003, 11:27 PM
If we get new coaches now we could pick up replacements that are also mediocre and TD might give them a shot next year. Why would someone except a coaching position for the last 6 games of the season. I think we should just wait till the end of the season and make good choices and do thorough interviews for the new HC and OC position. Does anyone agree?

Typ0
11-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by eddiehaskill
If we get new coaches now we could pick up replacements that are also mediocre and TD might give them a shot next year. Why would someone except a coaching position for the last 6 games of the season. I think we should just wait till the end of the season and make good choices and do thorough interviews for the new HC and OC position. Does anyone agree?

I would think if there is a good candidate now then they could be hired so they didn't end up somewhere else. It's all about the process like you say though.

mchurchfie
11-16-2003, 11:47 PM
If we end up with mediocre coaches it will be a vast improvement over the incompetent idiots that we have now.:up:

The_Philster
11-17-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
If we end up with mediocre coaches it will be a vast improvement over the incompetent idiots that we have now.:up:
Excellent post. :up: Do we settle for possible mediocrity that could turn out to be HOF material (Marv Levy was brought in as a mid-season replacement) or do we stick with incompetence?

doug45
11-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by mchurchfie

You got it!!!!! Just get a fill in for the rest of this season and look for a good coach in the off season. This would at least show the fans that they know there is a problem. Bench Drew and put in AVP for the same reason. AVP is not the answer but a change of any kind would be for the best.

G. Host
11-17-2003, 07:01 AM
Any coach should not be guarenteed a contract past end of season but it would carry the risk of that coach getting an offer in offseason and leaving. And yes there are a number of competent coaches not on sidelines who are out because either they took the fall of another's mistake or was in an unwinnable situation.

askabry
11-17-2003, 07:26 AM
There are three home games left; this represents nearly 40% of the teams revenue from parking, concessions, advertising and ticket sales. Thankfully (for Tom), I believe both of the last two games are either sold out or close to it ... but that doesn't mean fans will show up in cold weather to see poor performances.

As president of the organization, anything TD does will reflect first and foremost the profitability of the team. In all likelihood, the first to go in a situation like this is the sacrificial lamb; Kevin Gilbride.

Pull the plug on the OC. It won't put a tourniquet that is the game decision hemorraghing by our HC, but at least someone like Les Steckel can show a responsiveness of the FO and ownership.

Rude American
11-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Interim coaches know exactly what ther are... interim coaches.

There's nothing wrong with interim coaches.

Billsouth
11-17-2003, 08:11 AM
i think that we r not going to find a permanent replacement now but we could fire gw and kg and make dick lebeau head coach and promote les steckel to offensive coordinator. we can give them a try out with the understanding that we will have open interviews at the end of the year.

face it guys, this season is over. we r not going to the playoffs. we might as well start working towards next year. what good does it do to keep gw. if the bills win the next 6 games does he get a new contract? i hope not. therefore, lets try something different. i would advocate activating fasani from the practice squad and letting him tryout at qb. also, lets try antonio at wr.

we need to do this to fully understand what we need to do in the offseason.

mchurchfie
11-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by askabry
In all likelihood, the first to go in a situation like this is the sacrificial lamb; Kevin Gilbride.

Gilbride won't be let go as the sacrificial lamb...he doesn't deserve to be let off that easy. He needs to be fired for all of the right reasons..because he is one of the most cocky, arrogant, and assinine OC's to grace the sidelines.

HAMMER
11-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Billssouth has the right idea. No, you don't bring a coach in from outside the organization. That makes absolutley no sense. You slot Lebeau as the interim HC and Steckel as the interim OC, evaluate the results and then you make your decisions in the offseason as to wether or not they get the job. They know the team and the systems already. It would be possible to blow out Williams and bring an outsider in, but no way you can do that with an OC.

TigerJ
11-17-2003, 11:44 AM
I think that the situation calls for the immediate dumping of Gilbride, to be replaced on an interim basis by Les Steckel. Although I think GW has worn out his welcome and will not, and should not be the Bills' coach in 2004, I don't see any urgent need fro him to be canned right now.

mchurchfie
11-17-2003, 11:47 AM
I agree with you Tiger. Appease the masses and get rid of Gilbride immediately if not sooner. Ride GW out until the end of the year.

G. Host
11-17-2003, 11:50 AM
dismissing a coach gives him full amount of salary and his replacement is guarenteed for another year. Do you expect the coach to take the promotion without a raise? And that new raise would be guarenteed next year.

Maybe you consider it peanuts but Ralph does not like paying out money like that. If all of the coaches except GW had not been given extensions this issue would be less of a hassle.

mchurchfie
11-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by G. Host
dismissing a coach gives him full amount of salary and his replacement is guarenteed for another year. Do you expect the coach to take the promotion without a raise? And that new raise would be guarenteed next year.

Maybe you consider it peanuts but Ralph does not like paying out money like that. If all of the coaches except GW had not been given extensions this issue would be less of a hassle.

Ralph will probably lose MUCH more from loss of ticket sales over the long run, I think that it would be a GOOD business move. Gilbride is almost singlehandedly leading this franchise back down into the abyss.