PDA

View Full Version : Has a coach ever been fired during the season

northernbillfan
11-17-2003, 03:07 PM
And if it has happened before, why can't we follow suit?

Also if we do drop Williams in the next couple of days, who can fill his shoes? Are we contractually bound to find someone within the system? Is ther someone in our system that can replace him? Will Gilbride be fired too?

Or can we go outside the team to find replacements?

User Manuel
11-17-2003, 03:18 PM
I belive the Bills have done it twice. In fact, Marv Levy came in at mid season. The thing is this, Even if you bring in a new coach, you really have to make a wholesale philosophy change in order to get any true effect.

Fortunately, I think the Bills players are ready to mutiny. So now might be the time to pull the switch.

I might be dreaming, but just removing Williams and Glbride might be all this team needs to get going.

Valerie
11-17-2003, 03:21 PM
While I don't think the coaching staff we currently have is worth a damn, I really don't think dumping the coaches more than half way through the season is a good idea. I think trying to adjust to new coaches and a different system now is dumb. And I don't think that the end result will be any different. Let these idiots finish out the season, but start looking for capable replacements now! I just don't think making such a big change at this point in the season is a good idea. And I don't think that the Bills will win anymore games with new coaches.

Ð
11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
I remember going to an Argos game at old Exhibition Stadium in the late 70's & Leo Cahill was coaching. That was back in the days when the CFL regularily drew 55,000 a game in Toronto.

Leo was a crap coach & in a similar situation to what GW is in now. I remember that the crowd was singing "Gooooodnight Leo" to the tune of Goodnight Ladies all throughout the game & I remember hearing on the radio in the car on the way home that he had been fired. Forrest Gregg became head coach after that & then the downward spiral of the CFL began in Toronto. I don't think I was a (paying) customer of the Argos after that.

Ebenezer
11-17-2003, 03:31 PM
There was a huge write up in the local paper about this about 3 weeks...I don't remember the stats but the number of replacement coaches who made the playoffs since the 1970 merger was like 2 of 62. Not good chances.

Valerie
11-17-2003, 03:38 PM
I just don't see the point in firing them now. The season is already lost, so it really wouldn't do anything, except to add more upset and turmoil to the team. Let them finish out the season and then can them. New coaches at this stage isn't going to change the dynamics or record of the team. That will take time.

Dozerdog
11-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Most mid season coaching changes happen because the coach quits - or firings will occur well after a team has been eliminated.

Dennis Green was the last to get replaced - in the season finale of 2001. I think Norv Turner got fired then as skin's coach in 2000 as well.

The Bills Fired Hank Bulklough and replaced him with Levy at mid season in 1986. The year before, Bullough replaced a fired Kay Stephenson after an 0-4 start. Lou Saban quit in 1977 after a month into the season and was replaced with Jim Ringo with disasterous results.

Valerie
11-17-2003, 03:49 PM
I think you're right about Norv, Dozer. I think the DC took over for the rest of the season, if I remember correctly. Danny Snyder is always doing stupid **** like that. Even if we don't like these coaches, I hope Ralph isn't stupid enough to let them go now.

Dozerdog
11-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Most firings don't happen mid season because of the way football is- the playbooks, terminology, the amount of time it takes to assemble a staff. If they do happen, most times someone on the staff is promoted.

It takes 3 months to prepare for a season and then there is only 7 days between games. Levy was a rarity coming in when he did- but even then he was familiar with Bufalo because he announced preseason games for them.

If you want to bring in a good coach, even one unemployed- most will wait until a season ends to take a job. iot gives them time to look over the situation without jumping in blindly.

Dozerdog
11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
However, I'd have much more respect for GW if he came out and jettisoned Gilbride if he was forced to take him in the offseason. If it were my job on the line, I would not want someone who is out of my control deciding my fate.

Gilbride can get canned now- we have a SB OC in Les Steckle (1999) already on the staff. This team has become so bad- historically bad on offense- that we need action immediatly.

cordog
11-17-2003, 05:02 PM
I believe Jim Playoffs? Mora was canned during a season when he was the HC in New Orleans.

Dozerdog
11-17-2003, 05:07 PM
The Saints have fired / have coaches quit on them 5 times since 1970 at midseason.

They also have had only 7 winning seasons in 35 years

Throne Logic
11-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Most firings don't happen mid season because of the way football is- the playbooks, terminology, the amount of time it takes to assemble a staff. If they do happen, most times someone on the staff is promoted.

It takes 3 months to prepare for a season and then there is only 7 days between games. Levy was a rarity coming in when he did- but even then he was familiar with Bufalo because he announced preseason games for them.

If you want to bring in a good coach, even one unemployed- most will wait until a season ends to take a job. iot gives them time to look over the situation without jumping in blindly.

A change now would be disruptive. Good. The team currently sucks. A disruption could, worst case, make them about the same as they are now.

If someone like Coughlin showed up on Thursday night, he could draw five basic offensive plays on the blackboard that couldn't possibly be worse than what the current staff had months to prepare and "teach".

Please tell me what we could possibly loose by making the change in HC and OC?

I believe the defense's success is directly related to the talent on that unit. I'm not completely sold on the "system" they're using. I wouldn't be unhappy if the defensive coaching staff was retained.

My true fear is that TD will ditch Williams and Gilbride; then promote LeBeau to HC. I don't believe LeBeau has what it takes, either. Evidence = Cincinnati this year vs. last year.

Dozerdog
11-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Trust me- I'm all in favor of it-

I was answering the general question about why midseason coaching changes are rare- unlike Baseball, Basketball, Hockey where many changes are made after a slump.

Right now the Bills are approaching historical marks for futility when you go 3-4-5 games without scoring.

Dozerdog
11-17-2003, 05:32 PM
I'd take LeBeau as an interim coach- but not the long term guy. You won't get as quality guy beyond this season right a this moment

BuffaloRanger
11-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Most coaching changes are made after the playoffs aren't possible. So stating that changing coaches mid-season is a recipe for disaster isn't exactly accurate.

Making a change when the Bills were 4-4 durinng the bye was the time to make the change. Not changing then was such an obvious mistake.

How could this team have played any worse with a different HC and OC during the last 2 games?

How many games without a TD do the Bills have to go before you would say "make a change!"?

The Bills have failed to score a offensive TD in 5 of 10 games. That is unbelievable.

BuffaloRanger
11-17-2003, 06:26 PM
The better question would be....

"Has a coach ever been fired during a game?"

Maybe this week when the Bills are down 24-0 at halftime.