PDA

View Full Version : Drew is staying. Ralph said so.

G. Host
11-18-2003, 06:42 AM
According to article in Rochester D&C (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/1118D12D3N6_bills18_bills.shtml) Wilson made it clear he won’t be seeking a new quarterback.

Wilson indicated Bledsoe, 31 and one season removed from his fourth Pro Bowl, doesn’t have to convince him he’s still his quarterback of the future.

“Definitely, definitely,” Wilson said when asked whether Bledsoe is his man. “I think he’s one heckuva a quarterback, I really do. It’s other areas that need help, a better line, receivers who can get open — and catch.

“I know somebody has to take the blame, but I wouldn’t put it all on Drew. He’s got a great arm and with more time, you know (he’d do better).”

Several linemen and WRs have been given notice that they are gone next year and their performance until end of year will probably determine who.

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 06:56 AM
oh, jesus ****** christ...

well, there goes our best hope...

how ridiculous.

Billsbabee
11-18-2003, 07:07 AM
I can live with Drew staying, as long as the Oline gets serious improvement and Gilbride and Man Boobs gets the boot.

BAM
11-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Billsbabee
I can live with Drew staying, as long as the Oline gets serious improvement and Gilbride and Man Boobs gets the boot.

Exactly! Well Said. This is my exact thinking. I like Drew and as it has been stated over and over and over and over and over, he will flourish with the correct system.
He is not this bad... he just needs more than a half second to get rid of the ****ing ball.

:D

Dozerdog
11-18-2003, 07:19 AM
give him a chance with a decent HC/OC.

If Ingtar says Drew is good enough, that's good for me. We have to start playing to his strengths.

ryven
11-18-2003, 07:21 AM
The I cant stand is he is making it sound like the only reason were doing so bad is because of the players . he really should look at his coaching staff first before making cuts, but on another thought getting rid of a couple of O-Lineman would not hurt but the only one that needs to go is pucillo and tegue well maybe not go but definitly moved from center. and recievers I think are recievers are fine but we are not set up for a pass happy system right now and we dont need one what we have is more than sufficient but KG just wont get his head out of his a$$ to see that if we run the ball on third and short more often we would be in the end zone alot more.

JayWood
11-18-2003, 07:24 AM
Granted Drew has not had the season we thought he would have, but my god you put a good QB like him with a terrible OL, WR that seem to not be able to cathc the damn ball, take away Eric Moulds since he has been hurt, not use your FB the correct way (lets use him as a WR smart move), never use the one target that Drew has alwasy loved, his TE....and add to that the two biggest horses a$$ that have ever coached GW and KG and of course you are gonna have a terrible season. Right now with the right coaches and the right system Drew will do fine, iam not ready to throw in the towel on Drew yet, maybe other individuals, but not drew.

ryven
11-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by JayWood
Granted Drew has not had the season we thought he would have, but my god you put a good QB like him with a terrible OL, WR that seem to not be able to cathc the damn ball, take away Eric Moulds since he has been hurt, not use your FB the correct way (lets use him as a WR smart move), never use the one target that Drew has alwasy loved, his TE....and add to that the two biggest horses a$$ that have ever coached GW and KG and of course you are gonna have a terrible season. Right now with the right coaches and the right system Drew will do fine, iam not ready to throw in the towel on Drew yet, maybe other individuals, but not drew.

I will give you our WR have not been the greatest this year and our OL has absolutly sucks for pass protection. The biggest fault is coaching again FB not being used in the right way throwing the ball on third and short thats coaching. get and HC and OC and see what happens as I mentioned are pass protection sucks but we must be doing something right in our running game so why isn't KG calling more run plays to set up the play action to then set up the big play down field.

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 07:53 AM
have all you guys really looked at his career over the last 4 or so years.. hell.. have you ever looked at his whole career? passer rating in the 70s...

have any of you paid ANY ATTENTION to the last 17 games? are you going to blame his whole career of underperforming against good teams and folding like a tent under any pressure from a blitz all on the "offensive scheme"???

he has played under tons of offensive schemes.. and has never been a peyton manning type passer.. he throws for tons of yards and doesnt get the ball in the endzone.. and he will throw pick after pick sprinkled with some fumbles... he has not changed TEN YEARS into his career, why would you think that he is going to change now because he has to learn a new system?

jesus... wys seems more right then ever at this moment.. i am disgusted by the thought of drew being our qb for one more disappointing year... you guys all act like you havent seen what is just hitting us in the face.. horrible qb play for 2 years... he has not been one bit better than rob johnson imho.

you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

and what is better yet is that we are going to have to spend an ASS LOAD on his contract renewal... awesome..

i feel sick.

G. Host
11-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Well there was talk about Drew needed to renegotiate on contract. Maybe he will refuse. If GW & company stay though I am not bothering to go to games.

BAM
11-18-2003, 08:01 AM
I guess someone had to take Wys' place :D

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by BradAlanMiller
I guess someone had to take Wys' place :D

look... i tried.. i tried my damndest to believe in drew when he got here. i looked at all the number and how pathetic drews meaningful stats have always been, and i wanted drew to do so well.. i still do.. but i am convinced that he is just not a good qb.

i have watched him give away 2 games this season.. dallas and texas.. both on his absolutely horrible turnovers.. i dont care about the o line.. i dont care about if they are blitzing.. he put the ball on the tuff when it counted.. and this is not a new thing.. he also blew the KC game for us last year.. which essentially cost us the playoffs.. because he just HAD to chuck the ball deep with 4 minutes left to try and get the big pretty td to price.. instead of just moving the ball down the field with short passes and eating up the clock and winning with a field goal..

i am just sick to death of it..

we know what we have in bledsoe.. and it is not much at this point.. i am tired of the "hey, lets get him another OC and a bunch of good players around him, and he will be great".. GUESS WHAT.. if you surround just about ANY qb in the nfl will quality players and a good OC he will do well!!!!!

do you think it is just coincidence that brady has flourished in NE, while drew failed there..

i dont know.. i am just fed up with losing and not scoring any points.. drews numbers are embarassing, and i have watched him stand in the pocket like a statue for long enough..

give me some young blood.. a guy that can move.. a guy that is not set in his ways of holding the ball for hours in the pocket, only to look surprised when he gets raped from behind by a DE.

doug45
11-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by G. Host
According to article in Rochester D&C (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/1118D12D3N6_bills18_bills.shtml) Wilson made it clear he won’t be seeking a new quarterback.

Thank God I did not renew my seasons tickets. I can watch at home on the big screen for free and turn it off when I start to go crazy.

BAM
11-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

look... i tried.. i tried my damndest to believe in drew when he got here. i looked at all the number and how pathetic drews meaningful stats have always been, and i wanted drew to do so well.. i still do.. but i am convinced that he is just not a good qb.

i have watched him give away 2 games this season.. dallas and texas.. both on his absolutely horrible turnovers.. i dont care about the o line.. i dont care about if they are blitzing.. he put the ball on the tuff when it counted.. and this is not a new thing.. he also blew the KC game for us last year.. which essentially cost us the playoffs.. because he just HAD to chuck the ball deep with 4 minutes left to try and get the big pretty td to price.. instead of just moving the ball down the field with short passes and eating up the clock and winning with a field goal..

i am just sick to death of it..

we know what we have in bledsoe.. and it is not much at this point.. i am tired of the "hey, lets get him another OC and a bunch of good players around him, and he will be great".. GUESS WHAT.. if you surround just about ANY qb in the nfl will quality players and a good OC he will do well!!!!!

do you think it is just coincidence that brady has flourished in NE, while drew failed there..

i dont know.. i am just fed up with losing and not scoring any points.. drews numbers are embarassing, and i have watched him stand in the pocket like a statue for long enough..

give me some young blood.. a guy that can move.. a guy that is not set in his ways of holding the ball for hours in the pocket, only to look surprised when he gets raped from behind by a DE.

That's cool. I understand your opinion & apologize for the Wys comment. Just please don't force it down our throats like he tried to. :)

Novacane
11-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Well there was talk about Drew needed to renegotiate on contract.

Exactly! I don't want to but I guess I can live with Drew if he re-negotiates that 7 million dollar bonus he is due next Nov. If they pay him that I am going to be very upset. With a new system where running the ball is the priority.he may be ok. Maybe being the key. I still would rather bring in Brunell.

lordofgun
11-18-2003, 08:39 AM
oh, jesus ****** christ...

Amen.

DrewBledsoeDynasty
11-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Tatonka, if you want to talk mediocrity, than lets talk Jim Kelly.... same bull**** as Bledsoe, got to four super bowls... couldn't clinch one.... drop the ball when it counted.... although bledsoe only played in one... he got a ring but didnt earn it.

Jim Kelly will go out with the likes of Marino, still being praised for doing absolutely nothing.... and when i speak of nothing i speak of the only thing that matters in sports and thats a Championship ring.

cordog
11-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by JayWood

Exactly. Well said.

Novacane
11-18-2003, 08:49 AM
JW...............read Ingtars article. Very few of the sacks have been the OL's fault. This line is not terrible. Drew, the recievers, and most of all Gilbrides system are making them look terrible.

LtBillsFan66
11-18-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm a Drew believer.

Moulds80
11-18-2003, 09:12 AM
I've stuck with Bledsoe through many of the awful years in New England, when he has had no one to throw to, when I still can't even name receivers. I've seen the good ('95, last year), the bad ('01) and the ugly (the 90s basically), but I've stuck by the guy. I can see why you guys don't like the guy, buth ey, everyone has a bad year. Bledsoe (stat wise) had one of his best years laast year and I'll tell you why. O-line was blocking and they had a deep threat. This year, the O-line doesn't want to block, and Peerless Price isn't back there for a deep threat. Reed, Shaw and Moulds are all possession receivers, not really any speedy guys at all, and thats a problem. Last year there was a more balanced run attack, this year...whats a run? To throw a vertical passer in a west coast style of offense is just asking for disaster. When Drew comes back to Buffalo next year and is putting up the numbers he did in 2002, I want to see how many just back on his wagon.

Year-2002 Team-Buffalo Bills G-16 GS-16 ATT-610 COMP-375 %-61.5 Yards-4359 YPA-7.15 Lng-73 TD-24 INT-15 QB rating - 86.0

Asd you can see his 2002 year was fantastic, don't even surround him with different guys, because it is proven that he can win with these guys. 2002 he didn't have the defense to compliment the offense, sadly this year it is a different story, but I will be looking for the Bills to bounce back next year...

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 09:17 AM

Looks like I just saved about $800. I'll go to a few games but I will never renew my tickets just to see the same old crap with Drew behind center again next year.

LtBillsFan66
11-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
Looks like I just saved about $800. I'll go to a few games but I will never renew my tickets just to see the same old crap with Drew behind center again next year.

Good. It makes more room for real fans.

Dozerdog
11-18-2003, 09:21 AM
This is what needs to be done-

1) Get the new coaches in here. That will determine if Bledsoe stays or goes. If the new coach brings in a proven system that can win with inexperience at the helm, then Bledsoe waves bye-bye. If a coach can rectify the issues and bring this offense back to it's strengths - and do it with Drew- I'm all for keeping him. Do we want to waste any more seasons schooling a rookie UNDER FIRE?

2) Bledsoe's contract is heavily back loaded- the 100 million sounds huge but like most others, It's a Glamour contract. He makes 5.6 million this season, 6 million next. IF the Bills act on the 7 million bonus, it's not a 7 million hit. It gets spread over numerous years. Bringing in a Brunell or Warner will cost the Bills as much if not more- we will have to bid against other teams in need. But again, it's up to the coach we bring in. if we get Coughlin and he wants Brunell, so be it.

3) The smart thing to do is to use this dismal season as leverage to renegotiate Drew's deal. If he can do that and make it very cap friendly, it would be worth retaining him.

Let's not get our emotions tied up in this. If it was bad coaching in week 6 it's bad coaching now. If it's Bad Bledsoe in week 6, then keep the damn coaches. We can't base QB decisions on who we like/dislike or who cost us with the bookie.

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

You're right. I'm not a real fan. I spend $150 and travel 150 miles every week just for the hell of it.

Dozerdog
11-18-2003, 09:33 AM
You're right. I'm not a real fan. I spend $150 and travel 150 miles every week just for the hell of it.

It's your hard earned cabbage- you should spend it the way you see fit.

At least you aren't telling folks who have bought tickes not to go in some bizzare "boycott" they want to impose. Boycott with your money, not someone elses:up:

askabry
11-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Arm strength is not my concern; but ...

we have
a QB that threw the ball out of bounds on fourth down with the game undecided
a QB that handles the ball in the pocket like a high school player
a QB that was willing to burn a timeout because he couldn't/wouldn't read the game clock
a QB that consistently misses open receivers in the end zone
a QB that refuses to use a safety valve.

These are things that don't change with a system improvement. They won't suddenly disappear with a new center. New coaches won't make Drew's shortcoming go away.

I'm rapidly becoming completely dismayed with him. I've been a staunch supporter of Drew, but watching him in the last few games it's his game management that causes me to lose faith. I don't see those problems going away, but I'm willing to listen to those that can point out the error of my ways.

G. Host
11-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Moulds80
O-line was blocking and they had a deep threat. This year, the O-line doesn't want to block, and Peerless Price isn't back there for a deep threat.

I have seen no indication that they do NOT want to block - it appears to me that they are poorly trained/conditioned and the scheme they are blocking for is poor and the play calling is very poor so the execution is poor.

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 09:46 AM
There isn't a formation, route or play that Drew hasn't seen through 14 years of football.

A new coach isn't gonna make him hold onto the ball, not throw INT's, call timeouts with 2 seconds left in the quarter, or throw the ball away on 4th down.

This is what Drew has been for years and this will be what we're stuck with for at least another year.

Historian
11-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by DrewBledsoeDynasty
Tatonka, if you want to talk mediocrity, than lets talk Jim Kelly.... same bull**** as Bledsoe, got to four super bowls... couldn't clinch one.... drop the ball when it counted.... although bledsoe only played in one... he got a ring but didnt earn it.

Jim Kelly will go out with the likes of Marino, still being praised for doing absolutely nothing.... and when i speak of nothing i speak of the only thing that matters in sports and thats a Championship ring.

Be honest though....Didn't you love it when Kelly threw that INT to Anthony Phillips of Atlanta, then chased him up the sideline, and broke the guy's leg tackling him???

I sure miss those days!

doug45
11-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

It's your hard earned cabbage- you should spend it the way you see fit.

At least you aren't telling folks who have bought tickes not to go in some bizzare "boycott" they want to impose. Boycott with your money, not someone elses:up:

You got it!!!

LtBillsFan66
11-18-2003, 10:43 AM

I was busting your balls.

Anyway, lets just say you don't renew your seasons and by this time next year, the Bills are poised to make a Super Bowl run. Would you regret it?

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 10:47 AM
I was busting your balls.

Anyway, lets just say you don't renew your seasons and by this time next year, the Bills are poised to make a Super Bowl run. Would you regret it?

I'd still go to a few games but I'm not gonna be committed to every game to see this junk.

If they end up making a Super Bowl run then that's the breaks. Watch at home and enjoy the run.

If we can only go out and get 5 future HOF players to surround Drew with on offense we might have a chance.

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 11:30 AM

what a garbage comment... real fans throw their money away to watch their team get worse?

Let's not get our emotions tied up in this. If it was bad coaching in week 6 it's bad coaching now. If it's Bad Bledsoe in week 6, then keep the damn coaches. We can't base QB decisions on who we like/dislike or who cost us with the bookie.

it is bad coaching that has cost us games.. because more than bledsoe is the problem.. game management is A problem AS WELL.. but bledsoe has been horrible.. and to pay him anything over 2mill a year to be BELOW average is absurd.. brunell will sign for 2mill i bet you.. watch..

There isn't a formation, route or play that Drew hasn't seen through 14 years of football.

A new coach isn't gonna make him hold onto the ball, not throw INT's, call timeouts with 2 seconds left in the quarter, or throw the ball away on 4th down.

This is what Drew has been for years and this will be what we're stuck with for at least another year.

exactly.

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DrewBledsoeDynasty

i can see the comparison and it really isnt far off.. but that has nothing to do with our situation now.. bledsoe is loved by the media in the same way... big yardage and crap for stats on everything else..

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Moulds80
I've stuck with Bledsoe through many of the awful years in New England, when he has had no one to throw to, when I still can't even name receivers. I've seen the good ('95, last year), the bad ('01) and the ugly (the 90s basically), but I've stuck by the guy. I can see why you guys don't like the guy, buth ey, everyone has a bad year. Bledsoe (stat wise) had one of his best years laast year and I'll tell you why. O-line was blocking and they had a deep threat. This year, the O-line doesn't want to block, and Peerless Price isn't back there for a deep threat. Reed, Shaw and Moulds are all possession receivers, not really any speedy guys at all, and thats a problem. Last year there was a more balanced run attack, this year...whats a run? To throw a vertical passer in a west coast style of offense is just asking for disaster. When Drew comes back to Buffalo next year and is putting up the numbers he did in 2002, I want to see how many just back on his wagon.

Asd you can see his 2002 year was fantastic, don't even surround him with different guys, because it is proven that he can win with these guys. 2002 he didn't have the defense to compliment the offense, sadly this year it is a different story, but I will be looking for the Bills to bounce back next year...

i really dont care what his stats at the end of the year said man.. you know what i remember.. i remember this offense playing like crap down the stretch.. we were 5-3 and ready to go on a run.. and the defense started playing great.. and the offense took a nose dive as did bledsoes stats..

he really blew it up against the crap teams.. and he played like crap in crunch time against the good ones.. which has been his MO his entire career.

BAM
11-18-2003, 11:44 AM
It's your hard earned cabbage-

Banana Rum Cabbage.. mmmmmmmm... :hungry:

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 11:56 AM
A franchise QB is supposed to make the players around him better. It's not the other way around where you must bring in players to make him better. That's what you have to do for mediocre QB's like Drew Bledsoe.

All I hear is lets bring in another Top WR, get 3 more offensive linemen that can give Drew 6 seconds to throw the ball, a TE who can block and catch, a running game that averages 175 yards a game, a great coach and OC and Drew has the "potential" to be a good QB.

Potential should never be the word used when it comes to a 32 year old QB. What QB couldn't exceed under them condidtions?

I don't care if you had a staff of mentally retarted coaches. A "franchise" QB doesn't go 3 straight games without a TD PERIOD.

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Then some of the people who say he has 5 good years left in the league? I want whatever you've been smoking.

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 12:01 PM
The fact is the only assest Drew Bledsoe has is a strong arm. He's been living off that strong arm reputation for 5 years now.

He has no pocket awareness, no leadership qualities, little touch on the ball, and no mobility at all. But he has a strong arm and he's a great dad.

ricogarion
11-18-2003, 12:11 PM
If Bill Belichek says Drew is replaceable who am I to disagree.I value that mans judgement just wish he was coaching here in Buffalo!

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 12:18 PM
A franchise QB is supposed to make the players around him better. It's not the other way around where you must bring in players to make him better. That's what you have to do for mediocre QB's like Drew Bledsoe.

All I hear is lets bring in another Top WR, get 3 more offensive linemen that can give Drew 6 seconds to throw the ball, a TE who can block and catch, a running game that averages 175 yards a game, a great coach and OC and Drew has the "potential" to be a good QB.

Potential should never be the word used when it comes to a 32 year old QB. What QB couldn't exceed under them condidtions?

I don't care if you had a staff of mentally retarted coaches. A "franchise" QB doesn't go 3 straight games without a TD PERIOD.

god.. that pretty much is exactly what i was thinking..

sums it up perfectly.

you dont pay a guy franchise qb money who can not do well unless all conditions are optimal and has a probowler at every position on offense around him.. that is crap guys..

you really have come to expect so little.. it is a shame..

drew is a name.. and that is all.

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ricogarion
If Bill Belichek says Drew is replaceable who am I to disagree.I value that mans judgement just wish he was coaching here in Buffalo!

another great point.

helmetguy
11-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Belichick thought Bledsoe was expendable because Brady did a pretty good job in his stead. Then, again, Belichick isn't the kind of coach who'll place all his eggs in the QB basket, so to speak. Bledsoe and Milloy were salary cap casualties in NE; of that you can count on. The difference between Buffalo and NE is that Belichick knows how to develop quality depth-words foreign to GW.

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Belichick thought Bledsoe was expendable because Brady did a pretty good job in his stead. Then, again, Belichick isn't the kind of coach who'll place all his eggs in the QB basket, so to speak. Bledsoe and Milloy were salary cap casualties in NE; of that you can count on. The difference between Buffalo and NE is that Belichick knows how to develop quality depth-words foreign to GW.

No he had a QB instead who could help win games for them and not given them away. If he thought Drew had an ounce of career left he wouldn't have traded him inside the division.

They got rid of Drew because he was washed up. They dumped Bledsoe's contract and then gave Brady the money instead. In the process they take out a divisional opponent and get a 1st round pick.

All the teams that need QB's and only Buffalo and Cincy made a move for Bledsoe? You would've thought more teams would be willing to trade for a franchise QB who had 7 years left in the NFL.

Bledsoe wouldn't go to Cincy so we were moreless bidding against ourselves.

Brady did a pretty good job that's why they kept him and traded Bledsoe? He turned them around and helped them win a Super Bowl.

Bledsoe was 5-13 with the same coach and team that Brady is 27-12 with. Brady has gotten sacked at half the rate that Bledsoe did with that same OL.

They kept Brady and ditched Bledsoe because Brady was good and Bledsoe sucked.

Tatonka
11-18-2003, 03:40 PM
god.. billsfever is on fire today.. incredibly accurate posts..

Ickybaluky
11-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Brady is 31-12, including playoffs, as a starter.

BillsFever
11-18-2003, 03:52 PM
god.. billsfever is on fire today.. incredibly accurate posts..

Somebody bring me a cold drink.

XNOUGHT
11-18-2003, 08:13 PM

No he had a QB instead who could help win games for them and not given them away. If he thought Drew had an ounce of career left he wouldn't have traded him inside the division.

They got rid of Drew because he was washed up. They dumped Bledsoe's contract and then gave Brady the money instead. In the process they take out a divisional opponent and get a 1st round pick.

All the teams that need QB's and only Buffalo and Cincy made a move for Bledsoe? You would've thought more teams would be willing to trade for a franchise QB who had 7 years left in the NFL.

Bledsoe wouldn't go to Cincy so we were moreless bidding against ourselves.

Brady did a pretty good job that's why they kept him and traded Bledsoe? He turned them around and helped them win a Super Bowl.

Bledsoe was 5-13 with the same coach and team that Brady is 27-12 with. Brady has gotten sacked at half the rate that Bledsoe did with that same OL.

They kept Brady and ditched Bledsoe because Brady was good and Bledsoe sucked.

Now you know where the Pats fans are coming from.

I am AMAZED you guys have gotten worse in this season. It is mind boggling. I know Drew had troubles, but he can't be doing that bad.

helmetguy
11-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT

I am AMAZED you guys have gotten worse in this season. It is mind boggling. I know Drew had troubles, but he can't be doing that bad.

He is, but so is the rest of the offense. What KG and GW tell us is that the scheme is good; we're just not executing. How can an ENTIRE offensive unit go that far south that fast? It ain't just the QB, it's the whole unit. The collective ineptitude has to have a common denominator. It does...Kevin Gilbride.