PDA

View Full Version : Fire TD and promote Tom Modrak.

BuffaloRanger
11-19-2003, 01:16 AM
The way TD has handled this season I wouldn't call him a genuis anymore. Let TD go down with this ship. Can he do anything that Modrak, (who the Bills might lose to another team as a GM anyway) can't do?

OK there will be the need for a new team president. And Modrak might not want to take the job at the expense of this firend TD. I don't know.

I do know I want a total house cleaning now. With the talent the Bills have a new staff should be able to come in and make something of this team right away - without needing to completely rebuild for 2 years.

Look at Dallas with less talent. Cincy with less talent. Gruden won a SB with a new staff.

I'd like to see Mora or Haslett in here as coach. They are colorful and at least give good postgame interviews.

Mr. Miyagi
11-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Pass on Mora Sr. Thanks.

IHateTheDullphins
11-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Haslett would fit nicely, plus he played here before.:up:

I like Billick too.

DraftBoy
11-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Retain TD as president if possible. Modrak to GM. Would be nice

Stewie
11-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Yea..lets fire our GM and hire a coach because he gives good interviews :rolleyes:

helmetguy
11-19-2003, 03:38 PM
TD's doing just fine. Not perfect, but pretty damned good. If his peers around the league (as well as the guys who make a living from football) consider him one of the top execs in the game, I'm prone to believe them.

The Spaz
11-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Exactly if TD was let go he would be signed within a wek he is so well respected.!

SoCalBillsFan
11-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Do you know WHY our team is so talented? Because TD got the talent!

He hired a bad head coach. Let's get another one. But we don't need to get rid of TD yet.

User Manuel
11-19-2003, 06:25 PM
:skeptic:

Name 5 moves Donahoe has made PERSONELL wise, that have been outright wrong decisions. I can't think of any except not bringing in an experienced backup to compete with Van Pelt. I will not debate McGahee until he plays. Right move in my opinion, but time will tell.
Spikes - right move
Peerless - right move.
Drafting Mike Williams - right move
Lawyer Milloy - Right Move
Posey - right move
Sam Cowart - Right Move
Dumping Reed,Smith, etc. -painful, but right.

One head coach not working out does not mean you fire the GM. GM job= bringing in the talent. Coachs job=teaching and leading the talent. Players job = performing.

I rate the problems this way:

60% coaching
30% players
10% gm. He did make the decisions, so it not working does fall on him to some degree.

Even if TD fired Williams 6 weeks ago, what makes you think things would be SIGNIFICANTLY better with Dick Lebeau or Les Steckel. The team is beat up, there confidence is shot. It happens.

The problem here is now a whole mindset. A new coach can come in here next year, set a fresh tone and set this team straight.

Jim Mora Sr. - Good sound bite, good coach, never won anything with some damn good teams

Jim Haslett - Inconsistency is the hallmark of EVERY team he coaches and will be his downfall.

My bet(one of these two)

Tom Coughlin
Pete Carroll

We shall see.

Dozerdog
11-19-2003, 06:59 PM
The only bad move TD made was his first one- And those who clamor for Ted Cottrell are just as guilty as TD was- going for a hot assistant.

What has Modrak done to earn the promotion? If he was all that and a bag of chips he'd have gotten a job by now as well.

Just because TD doesn't "jump" when everyone wants him to in replacing the coach all of a sudden he's a big loser. I don't buy it.

fushetti
11-19-2003, 09:01 PM
You guys cannot be serious. Just realize that the season is a wash, and head over to the Sabres forums. hehe.

Seriously, Tom Donahoe is more than capable as GM. Everyone makes mistakes, and GW is his biggest. The free agent pick ups will flourish under new coaching.

Lawesome, TD didn't dump Reed, Smith, etc. John Butler did.

madness
11-19-2003, 09:26 PM
No, Gilbride is his biggest mistake. I don't see GW running that pathetic offense.

Indy Bills Fan
11-19-2003, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lawesome97
[B]:skeptic:

Name 5 moves Donahoe has made PERSONELL wise, that have been outright wrong decisions. I can't think of any except not bringing in an experienced backup to compete with Van Pelt. I will not debate McGahee until he plays. Right move in my opinion, but time will tell.
Spikes - right move
Peerless - right move.
Drafting Mike Williams - right move
Lawyer Milloy - Right Move
Posey - right move
Sam Cowart - Right Move
Dumping Reed,Smith, etc. -painful, but right.

TD didn't dump Reed, Smith and Thomas....It was JB that had that unhappy duty.

I agree though, TD has done more good than bad. He got fooled by a good interview. I realize he is well paid, but he is human. I think he is still a little wary of a strong willed coach after his demise in Pitt due to the chin wanting more power.

BuffaloRanger
11-20-2003, 01:50 AM
Why do we think that "guys around the league consider TD such a top Exec? Is it because of a couple sound bites on ESPN during draft weekend? We have happily accepted the fact that "we have one of the best GMs, even his NFL peers think so." Why did we get him from the TV booth? Did the Bills beat out anyone for his services? Seriously, where are the Bills after 3 years?

Is he better than the Pats GM?

Chiefs?

Bucs?

Rams?

Titans?

Green Bay?

Is he better than Polian?

I don't hate the guy, but I feel he has hitched his wagon to the GW/KG train to nowhere. He has a loose cannon for an OC that he as President/GM can't seem to get control of, and a coach that he made a lame duck by not signing him.

Ask yourself this... Could the Bills season be any worse? Yes you say - well it's not over yet.

What change (not caused by injury) have the Bills made to the roster during their losing 6 of 8 skid? Have they benched anyone? Went with a different line-up? Cut anyone?

The team has been in a downward spiral for weeks and no attempt to fix that has occured. That ultimately falls on the GM and President.

helmetguy
11-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Almost every criticism you made of TD, Ranger, fall back on the HC. GW should be more involved in the offensive game planning/game management, but he isn't. Since this isn't a fantasy league, in-season personnel changes aren't always practical; unless, of course a miracle happens and that "one piece of the puzzle" comes available. As far as player personnel on the field, that again falls back to GW and his coaching staff. The last thing anyone wants is a meddling GM/Owner patrolling the sidelines, dictating which players play and which ones sit. You can't blame TD if GW/KG don't use a Sam Gash to his fullest potential, of for KG calling the pass plays on "Third and stupid."

Bottom line is that TD really IS as good as any GM in the league. His knowledge of the salary cap and his penchant for drafting for depth are a rare commodity in the current NFL. He's only been in Buffalo three years. He DID manage to get the salary cap mess that John Butler left straightened out, and he did bring in a host of quality talent and made it affordable to do so. Thus far, his biggest mistake was grabbing GW as HC (the "hot" assistant syndrome that pervades the league). Without doubt, this situation WILL be taken care of.