PDA

View Full Version : should gw have left henry out?

BillsNYC
10-02-2002, 02:01 PM
when henry fumbled last week, and gw let him ride the pine for a bit, i was hoping he would let bryson play longer. granted..i am happy henry caught the winning touchdown...but i would have liked to see if bryson could get into a groove....even just to push henry a little harder and let him think his job wasn't guarenteed.

:baghead:

Creemoredrinker
10-02-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
when henry fumbled last week, and gw let him ride the pine for a bit, i was hoping he would let bryson play longer. granted..i am happy henry caught the winning touchdown...but i would have liked to see if bryson could get into a groove....even just to push henry a little harder and let him think his job wasn't guarenteed.

:baghead:

:whip:

I was rooting for Bryson to do well, but when the ground game did NOT work with him in, Travis had to be put in. Proving a point is one thing, but losing a game to make it is another.:woeisme:

Novacane
10-02-2002, 02:04 PM
I read in the Buff News it was Gilbrides call and he put him back in.
I think he made the right decision. Bryson fumbled too and the O was stalled in the 3rd Q.

lordofgun
10-02-2002, 02:43 PM
As soon as Bryson fumbled, there was no point in keeping him out.

4thAndLong
10-02-2002, 02:46 PM
I told you Bryson sucked worse than Ryan Leaf.

Henry got to ride the bench...And it made him realize what was at stake, and got him motivated. It obviously worked.

BillsNYC
10-02-2002, 02:48 PM
i stil think ryan leaf would have been good in buffalo!

WG
10-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Agreed. Although, and again, Bryson was holding onto the ball fairly tightly while Henry was not! BIG difference as to the reasons for the fumble. Bryson's was jarred out by whoever that OLB was. It was a good pry. Henry was waving it around like a flag on the 4th. Also, Bryson's wasn't at our own 10 or 20, it was at the other end near the 1 YL.

I'm still incredulous at how some claim that Henry can't be evaluated on only 12 carries, while simultaneously dismissing Bryson's performance on 11. I agree w/ NYC. I'd like to see Bryson play 2 or 3 full games before summarily dismissing him as ineffective. Henry did outplay Bryson on Sunday, but not on the prior two Sundays.

He also did not play well enough to remove the doubts that do exist about his play. He needs to start having some good games. Ie., in his case now, some games over 100. It shouldn't matter whether it's on 18 carries or 25.

Creemoredrinker
10-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
i stil think ryan leaf would have been good in buffalo!

4thAndLong
10-02-2002, 03:05 PM
How did Bryson out-perform him previous weeks when he didn't even play?

casdhf
10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Agreed. Although, and again, Bryson was holding onto the ball fairly tightly while Henry was not! BIG difference as to the reasons for the fumble. Bryson's was jarred out by whoever that OLB was. It was a good pry. Henry was waving it around like a flag on the 4th. Also, Bryson's wasn't at our own 10 or 20, it was at the other end near the 1 YL.

I'm still incredulous at how some claim that Henry can't be evaluated on only 12 carries, while simultaneously dismissing Bryson's performance on 11. I agree w/ NYC. I'd like to see Bryson play 2 or 3 full games before summarily dismissing him as ineffective. Henry did outplay Bryson on Sunday, but not on the prior two Sundays.

He also did not play well enough to remove the doubts that do exist about his play. He needs to start having some good games. Ie., in his case now, some games over 100. It shouldn't matter whether it's on 18 carries or 25.

They each had the same amount of carries against the same defense. Who preformed better? Just a simple one word answer will do :D

RedEyE
10-02-2002, 03:35 PM
GW stated that Henry has been doing a good job, other than the fumbles, and was held out to settle him down a bit.

Kelly The Dog
10-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Wys, how do you rationalize that losing the ball on the other teams one yard line is any better than losing it on our 10 or 20 yard line? If you lose it there, we (most likely) lose seven points and lose the ball. If you lose it on our own 10 or 20, we (most likely) lose seven or three points by the other team scoring and soon regain the ball. It's better to lose it on our 10 or 20 than their one yard line. Plus, you're arguing that it's better for Bryson to fumble from a big hit than it is to fumble from switching the ball? If I'm the coach I would MUCH prefer the ball-switching fumble, which can be coached or worked out of him. A guy that fumbles just from a big hit or pryed from his hands has a bigger problem. The differences in the talent between Henry and Bryson in that game was clearly evident. I still would like to see Bryson get involved in the Bills offense though, and for Gilbride to use his obvious (if limited to a few certain things) talents.

Novacane
10-02-2002, 04:49 PM
A fumble is a fumble. If they both are going to fumble than play the better back. Or try Morris or Burns

Novacane
10-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Henry has a better fumble per carry rate than Bryson.

Henry 67 carries 4 fumbles 1 fumble to every 17 carries

Bryson 13 carries 1 fumble 1 per 13

Creemoredrinker
10-02-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Henry has a better fumble per carry rate than Bryson.

Henry 67 carries 4 fumbles 1 fumble to every 17 carries

Bryson 13 carries 1 fumble 1 per 13

10-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Take him out- let the players rally around him and show support. Give him time to think about holding the ball and that he will sit the bench then put his butt back in there to build his confidence.

He is the best we have. Bryson wasn't hitting the holes with the same burst as Henry. But then what do I know:nana:

Hi Bill:peck: :makeout:

Creemoredrinker
10-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by #89
Take him out- let the players rally around him and show support. Give him time to think about holding the ball and that he will sit the bench then put his butt back in there to build his confidence.

He is the best we have. Bryson wasn't hitting the holes with the same burst as Henry. But then what do I know:nana:

Hi Bill:peck: :makeout:

:woot:

...a very smart lady.:gobills:

Typ0
10-02-2002, 06:56 PM
I agree with you about not evaluating someone on so few carries. We have seen Bryson in the past though a little more than Henry actually. I think Henry has a lot more potential than Bryson. If Henry develops and learns he has a shot at having an exceptional career and I haven't seen that kind of work from Bryson when he is in there. I think we will find out about Henry this week though. Maybe our game plan will be bombs away but I think it's time to pump up the run against a team that is much weaker against the pass. It will do a lot for our psychology and also help the team mature faster. It looks like we can go out there and win games...if we're going to go on a run we're going to need the character to win 10 in a row.

BillsMan80
10-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Listen folks...We talk about taking Henry out for fumbles...Are we going to take Drew out if he throws 1 INT per week? Absolutely not. You ride your horses that give you the best chance to win. And that would be Travis Henry my friends. He supplies our Running Game with the best threat.