X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Spurrier retrieves offensive reins

Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier is back running the Fun 'n' Gun, reassuming much of the featured role held by offensive coordinator Hue Jackson the past two weeks.
    Spurrier will wear the headset and call plays Sunday at Miami, he said yesterday. And team sources said the coach has retaken a more prominent role with the offense during practice and is overseeing the majority of the game plan, duties Jackson handled during his stint as play-caller.
    "I just need to be more involved," Spurrier said. "I sort of stepped back a little bit and watched awhile. Hue's done an excellent job. But I need to be talking to the quarterback."
    The move answers critics who wondered how Spurrier was earning his $25 million pay if not calling plays. But it also erases the promise of Spurrier getting more involved as an overall coach of the team, and it threatens a return to the offensive struggles of the five games that preceded Jackson taking a more involved role.

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
Working...
X