PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Take on Indy-Buffalo

ajsdx
11-21-2003, 12:45 AM
"Indianapolis Colts at Buffalo Bills: The Bills have gone three games without an offensive touchdown, and the fans are restless. So is owner Ralph Wilson. A lot of people wondered if offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride was going to keep his job this week. Of course, releasing any coach this late in the season is silly. Gilbride is bright, but the Bills are running out of offensive options. Travis Henry has a broken leg. Drew Bledsoe holds onto the ball too long because no one is open. Eric Moulds has a bad groin. The Bills are a mess and a seventh loss would virtually put them out of the playoff race. The Colts have their own worries. They don't have healthy wide receivers. They will probably give Marvin Harrison the week off to get his hamstring ready for next week's game against the Patriots. But this Colts team has shown great resiliency. The Colts have now won four games without either Harrison or running back Edgerrin James. The Bills are limiting opponents to 95 yards a game on the ground, but if Harrison is going to be out, Indy needs 100 out of James. That's the best matchup in the battle of former AFC East rivals."

This article is interesting to me for two reasons: First, Harrison might be out (which is probably a good move on Indy's part, saving him for the playoffs), and second, Gilbride apparently has the respect of his peers. Clayton seems to think that Buffalo's offensive woes are due to Henry's injury, Bledsoe's judgement, and Moulds' groin, which reflect poorly on Gilbride. Isn't it the system that makes the players look worse, instead of the other way around?

Jeff1220
11-21-2003, 05:44 AM
This was writer by a **it for brains sports writer - not one of Gilbride's 'peers'. His peers know - just blitz, that O can't stop it.

JJamezz
11-21-2003, 09:31 AM
LMAO... Didn't he just say that Gilbride would be fired if we lost to the Colts??? Now its 'silly' to fire a coach this late in the season... What a tool.

The only thing silly is that he wasn't let go or stripped of his play calling duties WEEKS ago.

IHateTheDullphins
11-21-2003, 09:42 AM
What an idiot.

Jan Reimers
11-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Gilbride is bright? Compared to what? A bag of dog *****?

DIHARD2
11-22-2003, 02:56 AM
It's not the plays that are bad it's the playcalling. They can still take the game calling away from Gilbride without firing him. They can even do it before the game starts without hurting our possibility of winning, if anything it would give us even a better advantage, seeing that the other team is game planning against Gilbride. Don't be surprised if that decision is made just before the game starts it would be interesting if they do.

GOOooo!!!...BUFFALOOooo!!!!!.....

Moulds80
11-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

HEY! HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF A BAG OF DOG ****!

**picks up bag**

You hurt its feelings :( Never compare my bag of poo to Gillbride. :confused: :cp:

Throne Logic
11-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Where's the link. This doesn't sound like something Clayton would have written. It's not consistent with what he has been writing.

The system, itself, is too inconsistent. The QB isn't sure where any of his WR's are going to be while he's lined up shouting out his cadance. More importantly, he doesn't know where his "safety valve" will be. Kind of defeats the purpose of a safety valve, wouldn't you say? Which is particularly bad on this team, where Drew could certainly benefit from a consistent safety valve to dump too, instead of forcing stupid throws or taking a sack.

SABURZFAN
11-22-2003, 05:14 PM

the jury is still out on that.

ajsdx
11-23-2003, 08:00 AM

LOL.

Originally posted by Throne Logic
Where's the link. This doesn't sound like something Clayton would have written. It's not consistent with what he has been writing.

Yeah, I've always liked Clayton's writing. It's from his weekly "First and 10" article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1665831) -- The Bills Colts matchup is number 7 on his list; the excerpt I posted is the first half of his little analysis. Maybe he doesn't care that much about the other matchups after First.

ajsdx
11-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ajsdx

the excerpt I posted is the first half of his little analysis.

my bad. it's actually the entire paragraph he writes on Bills Colts, not just the first half.