PDA

View Full Version : 82 3rd down plays between the 20's

Patrick76777
11-21-2003, 08:39 AM
80 passes!

If that doesn't convince you that it's the playcalling, I give up!

ryven
11-21-2003, 08:47 AM
You know IMO with the lack of control GW has I bet if we got rid of atleast KG we might go far into playoffs but not super bowl. To get to the big one we need a crafty and Ballsy coach like Bellichick.

helmetguy
11-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ryven
You know IMO with the lack of control GW has I bet if we got rid of atleast KG we might go far into playoffs but not super bowl. To get to the big one we need a crafty and Ballsy coach like Bellichick.

Granted, GW is pretty much a lame duck coach. Then, again, since his arrival in Buffalo, it has been just as apparent that he is quite content to delegate the offensive matters to his coordinator and position coaches.The problem with that, though, is that he can't or won't wrest some of that responsibility away on game day; which leads to all of those pass plays on "Third and Stupid," and calling time outs to opt for FGs in goal-line situations. It wouldn't have taken a "crafty, ballsy coach" to get us in the playoffs this year; just one with the basic understanding of game management, and an OC who could design a scheme that took advantage of the strengths of the players ON HAND, and not one who is so enraptured with his own "creativity."

The opportunity to correct these failings was during the bye week. At 4-4, the BEST alternative at the time was to revert to the power running game that this team was built for (at the behest of GW, no less!). However, what DID happen was, after the bye, no adjustments were made. This tells me that GW is "satisfied" that KG is on the right track and that he (GW) still sees these failings as a problem of "execution." That is, the plan is good, but the players aren't good enough to carry out the plan. Looking at it from that standpoint, I'd have to say that a change in coaching personnel now wouldn't be any worse that struggling with the current arrangement. Nothing GW and KG have done indicates any iminent improvement in THEIR approach.

Jan Reimers
11-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Yeah, and 1 of our 2 runs went for 64 yards. Some OCs might actually learn from that.

The_Philster
11-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
80 passes!

If that doesn't convince you that it's the playcalling, I give up!
I was already convinced but that stat makes me :ill:

Dozerdog
11-21-2003, 06:00 PM
One of the runs was for 65 yards.

Throne Logic
11-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Both of those runs were last weekend, BTW. Maybe Gilbride realized that he would never leave the the Ralph in one piece if he didn't call at least one run on 3rd and 2. On the first 3rd and 2, he did call a pass and I was nearly certain someone would jump from the stands and strangle him. When the TV crew is raggin' on the play calling, you know it's not going well.

SoCalBillsFan
11-21-2003, 07:04 PM
oh my gosh. that's amazing. seriously.

Dozerdog
11-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong- but haven't we run mor eon 4th down than third down this season?

OpIv37
11-21-2003, 07:31 PM
This statistic isn't all that surprising, considering we've been in a ton of third and longs this year due to PASSING on first down. Is it broken down as far as how many of the 80 passes were 4 yards or more?

Not that it matters- it will still mean that KG didn't run the ball enough. Get him the hell out of Buffalo

Dozerdog
11-21-2003, 07:45 PM
I'd guess that at least a Dozen were 3rd and 3 or less...if not more.

Akhippo
11-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Its funny that everybody including the opposing Ds know this to. At the sports bar with a number of Bills fans, on every third and short most of them yelled out pass. Its bad when on third and short and you see Gash motioning out into the flats. Arrgggh.