PDA

View Full Version : One Offseason Scenario To Ponder

R. Rich
11-21-2003, 09:30 AM
I posted this before in another thread. I just want to see what you all think.

1. Sign Eric Hicks of KC at DE.

2. Sign Cory Withrow of Minnesota at C.

3. Use our first pick on DT Vince Wilfork of Miami.

4. Use our second pick on OG Adrien Clarke.

5. Use our third pick on QB Phillip Rivers of NC State.

I would love to see Hicks end up in Buffalo. He's a good run defender and a very solid pass rusher. At center, Withrow could be a real nice fit. I've read up on him and he's a very versatile player, having subbed at both guard spots as well as backing up Pro Bowl center Matt Birk. Wilfork would team with Pat Williams to give us a rock solid middle; both would be able to collapse the pocket as well as shut down the rush lanes. Clarke is a massive drive blocker who will make us much tougher inside. Rivers is a very underrated QB with the skills to be very good.

Moulds80
11-21-2003, 09:54 AM
how about we bolster tghe offense...our D doesnt really need any work...but Hicks would be a huge pick up!

R. Rich
11-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Moulds80
how about we bolster tghe offense...our D doesnt really need any work...but Hicks would be a huge pick up!

Our defense doesen't need an overhaul, but we do need a DT that can play more than Adams can. I'm not saying get rid of Adams; he'd be great to spell a player like Wilfork or Tommie Harris of Oklahoma, if we're lucky enough to draft one of them. Hicks would give us a much improved pass rush and offer way more help in stopping the run than our current ends do. Most of the problems we have on offense is due to problems in pass protection. That would be corrected by getting better personnel at C and G plus a better OL coach. Drew would have better protection and would perform much better than he is now. Also, Shaw and Reed have shown that they can be a big part of the offense if given the chance (which also comes back to pass protection). I'm way more worried about the lines than I am the other positions. With better play up front, we'll see that we can survive with the players we have at WR.

stuckincincy
11-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich

Our defense doesen't need an overhaul, but we do need a DT that can play more than Adams can. I'm not saying get rid of Adams; he'd be great to spell a player like Wilfork or Tommie Harris of Oklahoma, if we're lucky enough to draft one of them. Hicks would give us a much improved pass rush and offer way more help in stopping the run than our current ends do. Most of the problems we have on offense is due to problems in pass protection. That would be corrected by getting better personnel at C and G plus a better OL coach. Drew would have better protection and would perform much better than he is now. Also, Shaw and Reed have shown that they can be a big part of the offense if given the chance (which also comes back to pass protection). I'm way more worried about the lines than I am the other positions. With better play up front, we'll see that we can survive with the players we have at WR.

Quality DT and DE help is needed. B'gals obtained Carl Powell, Duane Cleamons (the guy that sacked Bledsoe twice) and john Thornton to join 2001 1st rounder Justin Smith. DT's Oliver Gibson and Glen Steele provide excellent back-up. Result -good pressure w/ front four.

'course, the bills missed the OL boat in last years draft :tongue:

Jan Reimers
11-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Both our O line and D line need shoring up. A pass rushing DE and a couple of better interior O linemen are an absolute must. I like your plan, Rich, but am not sure that Rivers would be a great pick - but we definitely need to start grooming a young QB.

BuffFan4
11-21-2003, 10:54 AM
We need O-line! If we had a offensive line that was not "Offensive", we would be a very good team and a Super Bowl Contender. We have a top ten defense and the talent on offense to score a ton of points, if the line could block.
We either need a better o-line or a more mobil QB.

Tatonka
11-21-2003, 11:17 AM
i am just not sold on hicks as a good DE... i need to see more.. same with the two DEs in denver.. berry and upshaw (i think)..

i could see all those guys turning out to be like kenny mixon or bromell.. who were good w/ miami, but not starter material.

socalfan
11-21-2003, 11:23 AM
I think the thought process is good. I don't think the Bills can afford to neglect either side of the ball for the next couple of years. Using both free agency and the draft to try to find starters as opposed to last years trying to find backups is the way to go. I like the choice of DE, I'm not so keen on Rivers for QB though. And I think getting OL help via free agency is the best way of doing it.

baalworship
11-21-2003, 07:30 PM
I agree with the basic priorities. Here's another permutation:

Head Coach:

Kirk Ferentz- Iowa

Al Saunders- KC

Tom Coughlin- At Large

Draft:

Round 1:

Kellen Winslow Jr-TE Every game the Bills lose brings us closer to the best TE prospect the NFL draft has ever seen. Jeremy who?!

or Tommie Harris DT/DE

or Reggie Williams WR

Round 2:

Anyone but another white DE.

A big Guard would be nice or a ball-hawking free safety. QB can also be addressed.

Round 3:

Another DT to rotate in or another big Guard/ Center or QB.

Free Agency-

Best guard available and best DE available if we draft.

The Spaz
11-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Anyone but another white DE.
:confused2 :( :down:

Akhippo
11-21-2003, 10:01 PM
As non PC as that is its sure true given the last couple of drafts theyve gotten a white DE that didnt do anything as of yet, or isnt that dominant end.

juice
11-22-2003, 12:18 AM
Rivers in the second round, DE and Posey at LB are huge priorities. :afro: ACC COUNTRY

HotRod
11-22-2003, 07:53 PM
I will be disappointed if our FIRST move isn't a coaching change.

E-Klips
11-25-2003, 09:09 AM
I was just responding to tatonka's thread about this, and I remember I had seen this somewhere. I like this scenario because we all know the Bills need major help up front. This addresses both lines early, which is a must.

Throne Logic
11-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BuffFan4
We need O-line! If we had a offensive line that was not "Offensive", we would be a very good team and a Super Bowl Contender. We have a top ten defense and the talent on offense to score a ton of points, if the line could block.
We either need a better o-line or a more mobil QB.

I think you would find that, with effective coaching, this OL is not as far away from greatness as you think.

There are some major issues effecting the OL this season:

1) The Offensive philosophy is a chaotic mess. Too many variables for the OL to keep track of.

2) The grand total of NFL experience brought to this OL by the last two coaches is the sum total of those coaches stay in Buffalo. Meaning that they've never been coached by an NFL seasoned OL coach.

3) Miss-used supporting personnel. TE's and RB's are an integral part of the OL effectiveness. Isn't Sam Gash on this roster? Wouldn't really know this from watching the games this year, would you.

I say find a great DE, anywhere you can. That, plus better coaching, would make this team far better than they were this year.

E-Klips
11-25-2003, 09:59 AM
I have to disagree with you there. Teague has not proven to me that he's a good center. Those bad snaps, which coach can we blame those for? Or those bull rushers who put him on his back fairly often? That, to me, screams of the need for TALENT!! Same with Pucillo. He's awful. Make Jim Hanifan the line coach here and he still sucks. Ruben is on the downside of his career also. He's still decent, but not a dominant lineman.

Throne Logic
11-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Ah, but did I say that we should leave the current lineup at the same positions?

First off, I don't feel we can get a true evaluation of anyone on the Offense at this point, especially the OL. The current chaos reigning over the Offense prevents this.

I'd like to see Jennings and Teague switch. Although, Jennings had been considered in the past in a short lived experiment. But would a real coaching staff be able to make this work? Or even put Price at LT and Jennings at either R or L Guard. Pucillo has had his moments, but he's not a starter. Could be a solid backup, however. With real coaching, perhaps we could leave everyone where they are, with the exception of Price in at RG.

Just don't know. If a good Center is available via FA or the Draft, I'd say get him.

Point being, find real coaches.

XNOUGHT
11-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Sign Drew to a 4 year deal with a 20 million signing bonus :snicker:

R. Rich
11-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Ah, but did I say that we should leave the current lineup at the same positions?

First off, I don't feel we can get a true evaluation of anyone on the Offense at this point, especially the OL. The current chaos reigning over the Offense prevents this.

I'd like to see Jennings and Teague switch. Although, Jennings had been considered in the past in a short lived experiment. But would a real coaching staff be able to make this work? Or even put Price at LT and Jennings at either R or L Guard. Pucillo has had his moments, but he's not a starter. Could be a solid backup, however. With real coaching, perhaps we could leave everyone where they are, with the exception of Price in at RG.

Just don't know. If a good Center is available via FA or the Draft, I'd say get him.

Point being, find real coaches.

I agree with some of what you said, TL. I do think we're okay in some spots up front, just not at either G or C. Those positions should be upgraded NOW! There are some pretty good choices at center (pending any re-signings between now and the start of free agency). Here's a few:

Jason Starkey (Arizona Cardinals)
Brock Guiterrez (San Fransisco 49ers)
Gennaro DiNapoli (Dallas Cowboys)
Mike Flynn (Baltimore Ravens)
Cory Withrow (Minnesota Vikings)

any of these guys would be an improvement over what we have now.