PDA

View Full Version : You're the GM/Owner/Coach

caveboy
11-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Ok, calling all owners for a day: yeah fire 'em all. But more than that, if you had total control, personnel, coach selection - what do you do right NOW?

Offense:
1) GW ain't the future, so he's gone now. LeBeau promoted from within. Give him the remainder of the season to stop the bleeding.

Alternative - go after big-name coach in off-season, preferrably someone who has worked successfully with a new young QB before - (we're drafting a new QB, that's why). If I had a ton of money, I'd go after Jimmy Johnson or Coughlin. JJ's got the cred, and he's built a young O into a contender before.

2) Kevin Gilbride, (join GW, see #1)

3) I'm sorry, I wanted him to be the guy, but Bledsoe ain't the future, so beg borrow and steal and get a young prospect in the draft. (AVP is acceptable as a back-up, but he's not the future either.) Bledsoe was brought into bring vet leadership. He's regressing. The O almost has to play perfectly in order for him to have a good day. We need a QB that can will their offense to win games. I sense none of that in Bledsoe now.

How many key drives this year, including today, where we ripped off a big gainer, only for him to get downfield, line-up and then call a TO. Any momentum killed. Drew, make the read, snap it and go. His lack of confidence in sustaining drives is catching on.

There's also coverage sacks, which he's had his share of, and then there's locking onto a receiver for too long. He's starting to look like RJ a LOT - only RJ had more mobility. If Parcells couldn't get Bledsoe over the hump, how's GW going to?

4) Draft O-line help, not through FA. We need a Kent Hull type leader at center.

5) Jennings - benched. 3 years of holding penalties is a little too much. Way too many key drives stalled on account of his holding these past two seasons. Apparently GW's lap running for penalties ain't working.

If we can't get FA help, keep Moore in the background to pick up blitzes. Might as well, he ain't catching the ball anyway.

6) Tell Travis to relax. We're now going to run it the majority of plays. The new mantra will be: 'Run until they stop us', not 'throw until we complete a bomb downfield.' You now need to be our 100+ yard back every game. If not, Willis is waiting. Re-sign Gash and keep Sammy.

We will now mix the passing game with the running game. Short screens out of the backfield and let the RBs/FBs get their yards after the catch.

7) #80 - Eric, stop *****ing to the refs and start making plays. You are the big playmaker - start making them or we go to Reed and Shaw and you can join Keyshawn on Fox.

Defense:
1) Gray stays on.

2) If we don't bolster the D-line with FA DE help, then we need to get a lot more agressive in our blitz schemes and fronts. Without a serious pass rush, Winfield and Clements can not continue to lay off receivers 5+ yards on key 3rd down conversions. They get smoked every time.

Show eight on the line more, not less, even if we don't intend to send them all. Blitz until we get burned.

ST:
1) Move Clements to handle kick-off or punt return duty. I think we've all had enough of Brown's amazing 'speed' that ends up going nowhere.

2) Need a deep kick-off threat. Only real weak spot I see is that letting teams catch the ball at their 15 is killing us on ST. Touchbacks are what we need.

Michael82
11-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Right now...I'd FIRE Gregg Williams and Kevin Gilbride to send a statement to the players and other coaches that we are sick of putting up with **** playcalling and bad coaching. I'd promote Dick LeBeau to interim HC and see how he does, but still plan on bringing others in to fill the job....Tom Coughlin!!!!!

Then I'd promote Les Steckel to OC and apologize to the fans for not getting rid of these goons earlier in the season.

HotRod
11-24-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by caveboy
Ok, calling all owners for a day: yeah fire 'em all. But more than that, if you had total control, personnel, coach selection - what do you do right NOW?

Offense:
1) GW ain't the future, so he's gone now. LeBeau promoted from within. Give him the remainder of the season to stop the bleeding.

Alternative - go after big-name coach in off-season, preferrably someone who has worked successfully with a new young QB before - (we're drafting a new QB, that's why). If I had a ton of money, I'd go after Jimmy Johnson or Coughlin. JJ's got the cred, and he's built a young O into a contender before.

3) I'm sorry, I wanted him to be the guy, but Bledsoe ain't the future, so beg borrow and steal and get a young prospect in the draft. (AVP is acceptable as a back-up, but he's not the future either.) Bledsoe was brought into bring vet leadership. He's regressing. The O almost has to play perfectly in order for him to have a good day. We need a QB that can will their offense to win games. I sense none of that in Bledsoe now.

How many key drives this year, including today, where we ripped off a big gainer, only for him to get downfield, line-up and then call a TO. Any momentum killed. Drew, make the read, snap it and go. His lack of confidence in sustaining drives is catching on.

There's also coverage sacks, which he's had his share of, and then there's locking onto a receiver for too long. He's starting to look like RJ a LOT - only RJ had more mobility. If Parcells couldn't get Bledsoe over the hump, how's GW going to?

4) Draft O-line help, not through FA. We need a Kent Hull type leader at center.

5) Jennings - benched. 3 years of holding penalties is a little too much. Way too many key drives stalled on account of his holding these past two seasons. Apparently GW's lap running for penalties ain't working.

If we can't get FA help, keep Moore in the background to pick up blitzes. Might as well, he ain't catching the ball anyway.

6) Tell Travis to relax. We're now going to run it the majority of plays. The new mantra will be: 'Run until they stop us', not 'throw until we complete a bomb downfield.' You now need to be our 100+ yard back every game. If not, Willis is waiting. Re-sign Gash and keep Sammy.

We will now mix the passing game with the running game. Short screens out of the backfield and let the RBs/FBs get their yards after the catch.

7) #80 - Eric, stop *****ing to the refs and start making plays. You are the big playmaker - start making them or we go to Reed and Shaw and you can join Keyshawn on Fox.

Defense:
1) Gray stays on.

2) If we don't bolster the D-line with FA DE help, then we need to get a lot more agressive in our blitz schemes and fronts. Without a serious pass rush, Winfield and Clements can not continue to lay off receivers 5+ yards on key 3rd down conversions. They get smoked every time.

Show eight on the line more, not less, even if we don't intend to send them all. Blitz until we get burned.

ST:
1) Move Clements to handle kick-off or punt return duty. I think we've all had enough of Brown's amazing 'speed' that ends up going nowhere.

2) Need a deep kick-off threat. Only real weak spot I see is that letting teams catch the ball at their 15 is killing us on ST. Touchbacks are what we need.

Great post!

saviorbledsoe
11-24-2003, 05:51 AM
GW and KG are here until the seasons end (TD said last night)

I would go after a free agent coach that has experience (no more first timers) - Get a coach who wont change the current staff though.

OC - Steckel

I would hold off on drafting a QB (Bledsoe has at LEAST 3 or 4 more years WITH an OFFENSIVE LINE!)

Go After OFFENSIVE LINEMAN in Free Agency - Proven players

#1 Priority in Draft - Speed Defensive End ala Bruce Smith

#2 Priority in Draft - Speedy WR ala Peerless Price

Leave A. Brown as the Returner - I still believe he can start breaking some for TDs ( We need all the speed on this team we can get)

With these changes I think we can be in the Superbowl NEXT YEAR.

Buffatexas
11-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Start here...

Fire Gilbride, Ruel and Williams

Give the HC to LeBeau (TD wants a puppet anyway), Steckel to run the offense and bring in Conrad Dobler as a OL coach (if anyone knows how to kick a**, it is Dobler). Bring in a QB coach as well....(Reich, Kelly, Ferguson)

doug45
11-24-2003, 06:50 AM

Offense:

Defense:
1) Gray stays on.

ST:

You got it!!!!!!!!

Rude American
11-24-2003, 07:58 AM
It's real simple: Scotty Bowman. Then do whatever it takes to get Joe Torre in as OC.

caveboy
11-24-2003, 09:14 AM
"I would hold off on drafting a QB (Bledsoe has at LEAST 3 or 4 more years WITH an OFFENSIVE LINE!"

CAUTION: WYS-SIZE POST COMING: (joke wys)

Yeah, I'll concede that point. This line has regressed as much as anything too. Injuries have kept them from playing together for any length of time possibly, but I can't blame injuries for everything. Shifting dudes around because they're 'versatile' is bs. We're paying the price for not addressing that O-line. I felt that way in RJ's last season. Three years later and the same problems STILL. Did they think signing Mike Williams was going to solve it all?

Not trying to lay ALL the troubles of the team on Drew either, but I think Drew still holds onto it too long and needs a miracle QB coach to break some of those habits. But barring a miracle, I just don't see it happening with this staff and him. The thing that bugs me is that even other teams that may have struggles on O still have QBs that can overcome those struggles.

Maybe not for a season, but you watch a Gannon, or Garcia, or Culpepper, and they can make stuff happen by themselves when they have to. I don't see Drew doing that. He doesn't seem to be using the offensive woes as an incentive, to kind of like say 'ok, put it on my shoulders and we'll get it done.'

1/2 to 3/4, maybe 7/8? of it's absolutely KG. There have been times when Bledsoe has been fairly quick in the pocket and executed short crossing routes, 2-step, turn and release. So I know he can execute those things. But then we go away from them. Other times though, he ends up forcing a fumble when he should just tuck it. Sacks don't bug me, because they often can be due to real solid coverage, unless he locks on Moulds too long, which he does a lot.

We also have gotten totally away from the shotgun. Sunday was the first time in a LONG time where we actually used it a decent amount. However, with Henry lined up next to Drew, I kept waiting for the inevitable handoff on the draw, which got snuffed out several times.

Our draws don't work well when we run them so deep in the backfield. The one draw we had success with, Henry took it almost at the line of scrimmage and broke free, but then we got away from that type of execution.

Then we fell back into the throw on 3rd-down routine again. We were running it, then they stopped.

Well, at least I now have the rest of my Sundays free to finish x-mas shopping. Thanks Kevin. A_ _ hole.

Rude American
11-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Did they think signing Mike Williams was going to solve it all?

There used to be this guy (for anonymity's sake we'll call him "B Green" No wait... that's too obvious. We'll say, "Bill G." That's better.) who once said, "Mike Williams IS the offensive line."

A_ _ hole.

Art?

caveboy
11-24-2003, 11:18 AM
"There used to be this guy (for anonymity's sake we'll call him "B Green" No wait... that's too obvious. We'll say, "Bill G." That's better.) who once said, "Mike Williams IS the offensive line."

Yep. That was referring to him being big enough to be the ENTIRE line. ;-p

And wys also said Drew would be rejuvenated here, heh, heh.