PDA

View Full Version : The way we are playing

Novacane
11-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Who would you take if both were there..........

Eli Manning or Will Smith?

BillsFever
11-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Manning without hesitation.

TigerJ
11-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Will Smith would be a reach from a top five slot. I would consider taking Manning, but it wouldn't be a lock. I might trade down and pick up Smith later in round one. I'm not sure yet.

The Bills have to decide what to do about Bledsoe. There is no question he has talent, but it's also pretty clear that he can only be successful in a system that makes less demands as far as reading defences, with a team that has an outstanding offensive line. As one commentator said on the postgame show on WGR radio (I think it was "Bulldog") Bledsoe is "high maintenance." When you're paying big bucks to a QB, you can't afford high maintenance. Bledsoe is due to get the second tier of his three tier bonus. He clearly doesn't deserve the bucks that his contract calls for. He probably would be willing to renegotiate, knowing he's not worth what he's being paid. The Bills will have to decide if he's worth keeping around for a reduced cost. If they decide he's not worth it at any price, the good news is there is no cap penalty (dead cap dollars) for releasing him.

I think it's time for Buffalo to cut bait. If they do, there is a second choice they have to make. Do they want to start a rookie next year? If they do, they have to go after Manning or Roethlisberger, because they are the closest guys to being ready to play as rookies. There should be some other options. Brunnell may well be available. He's older than Bledsoe, but he is a proven vet who is probably more mobile than Bledsoe. He's also had most of this season to rest up and get healthy since he is no longer starting. There's also Ricky Ray, the QB from Edmonton in the CFL. There will be others too. Buffalo could pick up someone like that to play an interim role, and draft a red chip player: JP Losman, Cody Pickens, Casey Clausen, Matt Schaub, or even a third tier guy like Josh Harris. Any of those guys might be ready to start in 2005. Then Buffalo could use that premium pick in round one to upgrade another area, or maybe even two areas with a trade down. Lots of stuff can happen between now and the end of April.

ryven
11-23-2003, 10:19 PM
will smith

we can pick up a QB a little later

BillsMan80
11-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Will Smith is not worth a Top 5 pick. Top 15, yes, but not Top 5. Will Smith is really on the smallish side, and is too comparable to Schobel. We need an all-around DE. Manning or Winslow would be a much better fit.