PDA

View Full Version : You have two choices right now... make one

askabry
11-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Our GM wouldn't possibly admit to being wrong on two important issues he alone decided on: the hiring of Gregg Williams, and trading for Drew Bledsoe. It's safe to say the OC is gone in every scenario but what about these two?

When it comes to the offseason, of course we have huge decisions to make on both entities. Given your druthers, which one does he keep? Could Gregg succeed with a different QB (and presuming, of course, that Gilbride is gone regardless)? Could Drew succeed with a different OC/HC? Which is more likely???

helmetguy
11-24-2003, 10:26 AM
More likely that Bledsoe would have better success with a different HC/OC than Williams succeeding in anything other than a coordinator/assistant capacity. There'e a lot more wrong with the Bills than just Drew and the offensive brain-mistrust. What the Bills REALLY need is a full-time coach, not a well organized day-planner with neat notes.

askabry
11-24-2003, 10:39 AM
I don't buy it. It certainly is the SAFER choice, but I'll ask the congregation this question:

How many games does Gregg lose for you with his boneheaded clock management? How bad is Gregg? Consider that against the opportunity cost of anchoring the team to a large Drew contract PLUS the games Drew might lose for you AND the lost opportunity of developing a Rattay/Bulger/FillintheName.

I was once really, really sure you were right Helmet. I'm not as sure anymore.

Throne Logic
11-24-2003, 10:44 AM
You forgot to mention Greg's ability to complete guess wrong on the question, "Do you want to accept this penalty?"

He accepted that penalty that brought up 4th and 2, instead of 3rd and 4-ish. What the heck? Every game, there is something stupid like this.

askabry
11-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Add it up the negatives of both, Throne.

Keep in mind that to retain Drew, you'll HAVE to sign him to a new deal that is likely to include some heavy numbers. Consider a 19 game stretch where he's been outperformed by some pretty pisspoor QBs (ummm... anyone seen Kitna lately?)

It's a tough call, tougher than I think most of us give credit to. My guess is that TD keeps the QB; and my guess is he is the lesser evil now but the worse in the long run.

helmetguy
11-24-2003, 11:09 AM
It was an either/or question, right? That is, after this season, who stays-Bledsoe or Williams?

Williams has been a three-year problem; the 8-8 record of last season notwithstanding. He's shown no indication that he's matured in his position as HC, as evidenced by the chronic repetition of game day mistakes. For a guy who is supposed to be so organized/thorough/prepared, his teams are chronically ill-prepared on game day. While he seems to acknowledge that "We have to get better in [that] area," and that he recognizes that "We didn't execute," he's given no indication that he knows how to correct it. I have more faith that Bledsoe could be more functional with a HC and OC that have the ability to identify and correct shortcomings than I do in trying to develop another QB (particularly a current NFLer) with Williams still in the top spot. You DID ask what was more likely, didn't you askabry? Or is there an agenda hidden in the original question?

askabry
11-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
...You DID ask what was more likely, didn't you askabry? Or is there an agenda hidden in the original question?

Answer to the first question: NO. I asked which you would prefer given your druthers not which was more likely. The firing of the HC is always more likely than releasing the "star" QB.

Answer to the second question: Yes, there is an agenda but I don't consider it hidden. Often I ask a question to which I do not myself have an answer. I think it is the habit of an open mind, but I have an inflated self-image <lol>. Anywayz, I use your answers to help me think through the issues ... no other hidden agenda.

But you might note from my history of posting here that overall I have been a pretty staunch defender of Bledsoe for the entire time he's been here. His play over the last two games have turned my head some, of course.

askabry
11-24-2003, 11:24 AM
On Gregg's poor performance, there is no doubt he hasn't accomplished what we'd like. The question returns to, how many games has he cost us; and would the cost of resigning him outweigh the cost of resigning Drew?

I appreciate your opinion...and until just this day thought it a slam dunk decision (see my signature line). I don't share it any more.

caveboy
11-24-2003, 11:45 AM
"While he seems to acknowledge that "We have to get better in [that] area," and that he recognizes"

Correction, should read "While he seems to acknowledge WEEKLY, that..."

;-]

Given the either or scenario of this lesser-evil situation? I'd give the edge to GW going. Overall, he's done more to affect our outcomes than Drew, especially considering that GW was set up to be a defensive mastermind. Looks like Jerry's got them playing well enough that we don't need GW in that regard.

Poor clock management, unneccesary challenges, inability to establish a rythm in the O. Wait, sh_t, that could be Drew on two of those...

;-]

helmetguy
11-24-2003, 11:45 AM
I agree with you on keeping an open mind, just as I try to do.
The way I addressed your initial post was thus (my thinking process):
"Could Gregg succeed with a different QB (and presuming, of course, that Gilbride is gone regardless)? I believe it is evident that there is much more that falls into the lap of a HC that GW has failed to grasp during his tenure in Buffalo. Because of this, simply changing QB and OC will not fix his other shortcomings.

"Could Drew succeed with a different OC/HC?"
It is much more likely that Bledsoe could succeed in a system that addresses his and his offensive teammates' strengths. This means that, whomever is hired to fill those positions, they will have to identify those strengths and weaknesses (as is the case in any situation) rather than say "I have this plan-work it."

I noticed that you asked which was MORE LIKELY. My answer was that it was more likely that Bledsoe would have more success with another coaching staff/ system than it was that GW would somehow completely change his approach to the coaching position. So, if I had my druthers, I'd keep Bledsoe and can GW. In spite of his 8-8 record last year, GW will never be much better than a 3-13 coach in Buffalo.

Perhaps I misread your first response. I'm not so sure HOW MUCH success Bledso would have with a new HC/OC. I'm VERY SURE that the Bills WON'T enjoy much success if GW were to remain beyond season's end. In no way did I wish to impugn your judgement and I apologize if that's what my responses implied.

TigerJ
11-24-2003, 12:05 PM
I think that the biggest drag on the Bills this year has been Gilbride. I think that of the two you limit us to, TD is more likely to keep Bledsoe and dump Williams. That may be the wrong choice IMO. Bledsoe will be 31 next year, his contract unless renegotiated will be exhorbitant. As one guy on WGR stated last evening, he's high maintenance. That is, everything needs to be just right for him to succeed. Another QB stands a better chance of making plays if the pass blocking isn't perfect, the running game isn't clicking or the WRs are banged up. Regarding GW, yes he makes the occasional boneheaded call, but I don't think that costs as many games as some might think.

BidsJr
11-24-2003, 01:06 PM
One thing to consider is hom many games has GW won us as opposed to how many he has lost us with stupid play calls /challenges etc. See Bill Parcells

All things considered Drew, while having his major issues, has proven to win us a few ballgames. I haven't seen or heard any arguments saying Gregg Williams has lifted the performance of the TEAM to play beyond thier capabilities. (Or even at...)

I would NOT be in the camp of keeping Williams because of one simple reason. He does not hold his coaching staff accountable for thier actions. After all it was only after the media brought up the "Why can't we run the shotgun" have we seen the SG the last 2 games.

We need a coach with some backbone and a system that fits the players.

Look at the U of Iowa QB Nathan Chandler. He is Bledsoe without the talent. Iowa 9-3 with a New Years day bowl because the played to their strengths. Defence and special teams and field position. Kirk Ferentz should be the next BBills coach.

If you can't effectively move the ball on offence you need to manage the clock the best you can so you can help out the strength of your team. We do NOTHING to help keep our defence fresh and rested. We continue to force the issue with the pass instead of running some clock to help the D stay competitive into the 4th Q.

Bottom line Williams, even IF Williams knows how to run a team, his actions this year prove that he can't handle a coaching staff.

Or he doesn't have the balls.

G. Host
11-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Keep Drew. Spending more money on Gregg Williams means re-signing and Drew is cutting. Easier to not re-sign than cut.

TigerJ
11-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Are you talking about dead cap dollars? If so it does not apply. Drew has a weird contract courtesy of the Patriots. It is 100 million dollars over about 10 years with a three tier signing bonus.

I think part one is about to expire. To retain DB's services the Bills will either have to pay him the second installment of the signing bonus or renegotiate. Because the Patriots paid the first installment, the only thing Buffalo has been liable for thus far (in real dollars or in cap dollars is salary. He can be released with no cap penalty (dead cap dollars) whatsoever.

As soon as Buffalo pays him a bonus it becomes a cap liability to cut him until the end of the second phase of the contract. Likewise, if they renegotiate, there will be a signing bonus that obligates Buffalo to keep him or sets them on the road to cap jail with the dead cap dollars.

lordofgun
11-24-2003, 09:58 PM
Keep Drew. Fire Gregg and KG.

Drew can succeed with weapons in the right offense.

The_Philster
11-25-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Keep Drew. Fire Gregg and KG.

Drew can succeed with weapons in the right offense.
Yep...he's done it before. :up: