PDA

View Full Version : If Drew were a Free Agent...

Ickybaluky
11-25-2003, 06:16 AM
The Bills have to make a decision on Bledsoe's option, and it boils down to this:

1) Sign him to a 4-Yr/$33M deal with a $7M signing bonus (spread over 7 years because of his 2nd option). That is basically what his deal is if the option is picked up. His cap numbers would be: $7M in 2004, $7M in 2005, $7.5M in 2006 and $8.5M in 2007. There would be $3M in dead money at the end of the contract.

2) Sign him to a 1-Yr, $8M deal. That is what happens if the Bills decline the option. He would have a $6M salary and a $2M buyout on his option. He would be a free agent after 2004, and the Bills would have no cap obligation beyond that.

3) Cut him after this year and have him count as $2M in dead money for 2004. The Bills would be paying the option buyout, but would save his salary.

What do you do? Would you sign Bledsoe to deal #1 or deal #2 if he were a free agent out there after this season?

Mr. Miyagi
11-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Interesting perspective.

If Bledsoe were a FA right now, I bet we wouldn't sign him first of all, and if we did it wouldn't be more than $3M/yr.

IHateTheDullphins
11-25-2003, 08:12 AM

clumping platelets
11-25-2003, 08:20 AM
OR they re-work the deal that was more cap friendly :shakeno:

ryven
11-25-2003, 11:27 AM

Dozerdog
11-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by NE39
The Bills have to make a decision on Bledsoe's option, and it boils down to this:

1) Sign him to a 4-Yr/$33M deal with a $7M signing bonus (spread over 7 years because of his 2nd option). That is basically what his deal is if the option is picked up. His cap numbers would be: $7M in 2004, $7M in 2005, $7.5M in 2006 and $8.5M in 2007. There would be $3M in dead money at the end of the contract.

2) Sign him to a 1-Yr, $8M deal. That is what happens if the Bills decline the option. He would have a $6M salary and a $2M buyout on his option. He would be a free agent after 2004, and the Bills would have no cap obligation beyond that.

3) Cut him after this year and have him count as $2M in dead money for 2004. The Bills would be paying the option buyout, but would save his salary.

What do you do? Would you sign Bledsoe to deal #1 or deal #2 if he were a free agent out there after this season?

Originally posted by clumping platelets
OR they re-work the deal that was more cap friendly :shakeno:

It's interesting- but in reality the Bills will most likely use the leverage of a poor season to get him to renegotiate a pay cut or at least a restructuring. I think Bledsoe, given the opportunity at his age to get some longer term security will jump at renegotiating. One thing Bledsoe has been throughout his career is a team player. Even with the Brady situation he was a consumate professional. I have never remembered him being a "me first" guy (the anti- Keyshawn)

I'll bet he will renegotiate a deal down o the 4 million range that is laden with incentives (pro bowl, playoffs, SB win)

If that is the case, and we can get an OC in here that isn't a complete idiot, it will be a bargain for the Bills. And we will have the time/space to both improve the roster & and get a future QB in the draft to develop.

don137
11-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Drew seems intelligent enough that to realize between his poor play and high contract he needs to renegotiate the contract or pack his bags. TD will not keep the contract "as is" based on this year's production. He deserved less than half that but I am sure the two sides will fnd a happy median.

Dozerdog
11-25-2003, 06:03 PM
I honestly think the Bills could get a bargain out of this. He has demonstrated pro bowl caliber play when given a chance - and not this abortion of a line, the 10 yard patterns, and ridiculous use of the running game.

But it's up to the new coach- if he's willing to go with Bledsoe or spend time on a rookie or money on a vet.

helmetguy
11-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I honestly think the Bills could get a bargain out of this. He has demonstrated pro bowl caliber play when given a chance - and not this abortion of a line, the 10 yard patterns, and ridiculous use of the running game.

But it's up to the new coach- if he's willing to go with Bledsoe or spend time on a rookie or money on a vet.

I'm pretty sure all of this will be addressed when TD interviews new HC candidates. GW realized coming in here that there would be a lean year or two. After getting the salary cap in order, TD DID make an effort to upgrade the personnel on the roster (and accomplished that sooner than expected, also). Nobody knew that GW, and subsequently KG, couldn't identify and play to the strengths of the talent on hand. To TD's credit, he will NOT hire a guy for the HC job who will snub the players on the current roster because the aren't "his" (meaning the new HC) guys. That doesn't mean TD will hire a "puppet,' as some suggest. It'll be someone who can build on what we have.

stuckincincy
11-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy

I'm pretty sure all of this will be addressed when TD interviews new HC candidates. GW realized coming in here that there would be a lean year or two. After getting the salary cap in order, TD DID make an effort to upgrade the personnel on the roster (and accomplished that sooner than expected, also). Nobody knew that GW, and subsequently KG, couldn't identify and play to the strengths of the talent on hand. To TD's credit, he will NOT hire a guy for the HC job who will snub the players on the current roster because the aren't "his" (meaning the new HC) guys. That doesn't mean TD will hire a "puppet,' as some suggest. It'll be someone who can build on what we have.

Well, Mr. Potatoe Head hired Marvin Lewis, and when all was said and done, 24 of the 2002 Bengals were shown the door. then lewis acquired several players he had known when he was with WAS and BAL.

Alluro
11-27-2003, 10:34 AM
I feel very strongly that we have no chance at winning the superbowl with Bledsoe as the starting qb. Because of this, it is not a matter of how cheaply he will sign for, he needs to go regardless. Even if he decided to play for free, we would still be left with his complete lack of mobility, complete lack of awareness of the rush around him, and complete unwillingness to look for anything other than the deep ball. Having Bledsoe around for another year will only set the franchise back..another year....Cut him, cut our losses with him, and let's start our rebuilding project after this miserable failure of a season is over. Bledsoe just CANNOT be involved with that equation