PDA

View Full Version : Another Offseason Scenario To Ponder...

R. Rich
11-25-2003, 01:35 PM
Okay, in this one, we've traded down in the draft and acquired an additional 2nd round pick. Here goes:

Free Agency

1. Sign C Mike Flynn of the Baltimore Ravens.
Flynn is their starter, so this could be tough in case they want to re-sign him. If he is available, we should get him.

2. Sign DE Bert Berry of the Denver Broncos.
In his 6th season, he's already surpassed his career high with 7 sacks to date. Last season, he had 6.5 sacks. I think he's ready to turn the corner and become a very good pass rusher.

3. Sign TE Jason Dunn of the Kansas City Chiefs.
Dunn is a very good blocker and a reliable 3rd down receiver. He'd be a very good addition.

4. Re-sign CB Antoine Winfield.
Keeping this secondary together will be a key. Give them a pass rush, and let's see what they can do. If they can be one of the league's best pass defenses with NO rush, imagine what they can do with these additions. Wow.

NFL Draft

1. Use our first round pick on DT Randy Starks of Maryland.
Starks brings good size (6-4, 315) and speed to the mix. He'd team with Pat Williams to give us a dynamic interior. Keep Sam Adams as a backup, and we're in way better shape.

2. Use our second round pick on QB JP Losman of Tulane.
Losman has improved to where he doesen't hold onto the ball as much as before nor does he make as many boneheaded throws into coverage. Not to mention he's very accurate and has solid mechanics. A nice selection if possible.

3. Use our additional second rounder on OG Stephen Peterman of LSU.
This guy is huge (6-5, 321) and mean! He gives us the dominant drive blocker we so badly need in the interior of the OL.

4. Use our third round pick on DE Claude Harriott of Pittsburgh.
This is a value pick here. He may still be around at this pick, and if he is, we grab him! A very good rusher who could provide excellent depth for us.

5. Use our fourth round pick on OG Chris Kemoeatu of Utah.
He's another huge (6-4, 340) blocker with a fiery attitude. Could compete for a starting spot or give us quality depth.

Use our remaining picks on best athletes available.

Okay, so what do you think?

The Spaz
11-25-2003, 02:50 PM
We have 2 2nd round picks? I know we have 2 thirds but where did we get our second #2 from?

R. Rich
11-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
We have 2 2nd round picks? I know we have 2 thirds but where did we get our second #2 from?

Trading down from our original draft pick to a lower one.

Tatonka
11-25-2003, 05:38 PM
i am pretty sure that losman is gone in the first round. it should go
manning
big ben
losman

in that order in the first.

i would much rather have lavalais at dt than starks, but that is just me. i dont think we need to go DT that early.

i am not sold on berry's one season as a starter.. he is only 250 lbs, but is needed to play the run stopping DE position at LDE. way too light. he has 7 sacks this season, but 4.5 came in two games, that means 2.5 came in the other 9. i just dont see what is so special about him. he has also been in the nfl for 6 years and not done much.

dunn would be a nice signing at TE.

i see you want to take another DE in the draft as well.. so that means we sign 2 de's.. are we giving up on one of our 2nd round picks that quick?

i am not trying to be negative.. i like most all your draft picks except the DT, especially the o linemen.. and i like all the signings except berry.

ryguy8161
11-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Where'd we get the 2nd 3rd rounder?

The Spaz
11-25-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ryguy8161

Where'd we get the 2nd 3rd rounder?

Olandis Gary trade! :snicker:

ryguy8161
11-25-2003, 08:02 PM
I had thought that was a 4th rounder?:huh:

G. Host
11-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I believe we are also paying our 4th to Cleveland for Campbell so we can not use that unless you are talking about trading.

I do not watch much college football but I do agree that it is wisest to get our next QB from 2nd round so that we have QB for at least 5 years despite the Todd Collins experiment who was our last 2nd round QB. But I want our next QB to have some mobility - is JP Losman a pocket passer or someone who can run reliably for 5 yards on 2nd and 8?

Winfield does not want to be here anymore. Unless the new coach(es) can sell him on it I can not see him signing a new contract.

The_Philster
11-26-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by G. Host
Winfield does not want to be here anymore. Unless the new coach(es) can sell him on it I can not see him signing a new contract.

If they'd actually give him an opportunity to do his job, he might be sold on it easier. :cynic:

E-Klips
11-26-2003, 08:52 AM
Not bad R. Rich, but your first one was clearly better. I really don't know if Harriott will last until the third round either. I would like to see the OL you mentioned end up here though, especially Peterman and Flynn. We need them! We do need a DE, and I do think we can find a better prospect in free agency than the draft, but I'm not 100% sold on Berry either, for much of the same reasons as tatonka. If this were his 3rd year and he were breaking out, then sure. But this is his 6th season. As for a TE, let's see what develops with some of the other teams. Some teams are going to have to make a decision on some of these guys (Mili or Stevens in Seattle? Graham or Fauria in NE?), so we may be able to get a better receiving TE after the late cuts.

caveboy
11-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Interesting. But what coaching moves do you see in your scenario? IMO, if we don't change that, you can even bring in all 1st rounders/top 10 picks, and KG and GW will f it up.

R. Rich
11-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i am pretty sure that losman is gone in the first round. it should go
manning
big ben
losman

in that order in the first.

i would much rather have lavalais at dt than starks, but that is just me. i dont think we need to go DT that early.

i am not sold on berry's one season as a starter.. he is only 250 lbs, but is needed to play the run stopping DE position at LDE. way too light. he has 7 sacks this season, but 4.5 came in two games, that means 2.5 came in the other 9. i just dont see what is so special about him. he has also been in the nfl for 6 years and not done much.

dunn would be a nice signing at TE.

i see you want to take another DE in the draft as well.. so that means we sign 2 de's.. are we giving up on one of our 2nd round picks that quick?

i am not trying to be negative.. i like most all your draft picks except the DT, especially the o linemen.. and i like all the signings except berry.

Maybe Losman will go early, maybe not. I've seen all kinds of predictions about the QBs. Who knows for sure? If he's there, we should take him.

I think Berry could be a nice fit as a pass rusher for us. As for him being 250, that doesen't matter to me. He's playing at 250 NOW, as opposed to hoping someone can come in at 250, like Will Smith, and play well. Remember the last time the Bills took a flyer on a guy with his size, speed, etc. Some guy named Erik Flowers? He was a good athlete, but turned out to be the classic 'tweener' we so often hear about who couldn't fit in at either LB or DE. I mentioned Harriott as a pick for depth; we have no pass rush and he could help provide one. If that means we give up on Denney or Kelsay, then we do it. Of the two, I'd let Kelsay stay on and get rid of Denney. He's been nothing more than a disappointment and a waste in terms of trading up in the 2nd to get him.

I can't take credit for Dunn; I think you mentioned him first. I would love to see him here, as he's a great blocking TE that can also help us on 3rd down in the passing game. Not a stretch the field type like Winslow, Gonzalez, Heap, or Shockey, but someone who can help Drew by coming up with the clutch 3rd down, like Centers used to do.

Yeah, it would be awesome to get the OL I mentioned. Imagine a starting line of:

Jennings
Peterman
Flynn
Kemoeatu
Williams

it would not only be massive, but it would be probably the most aggressive OL in the NFL!

R. Rich
11-28-2003, 08:26 AM
Just thought I'd bump this back up, since I can't use a sticky.