PDA

View Full Version : Winfield ruffling feathers...

Ickybaluky
11-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Questions the play calls:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/11/25/bc.fbn.bills.winfield.ap/index.html

And calls free agents a disappointment (sorry, no link, just the story):

Winfield: `Nothing's left' in Bills season
By John Wawrow, Associated Press, 11/24/2003 18:46

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) Mathematically alive, realistically done.

Even with five games remaining, that's how cornerback Antoine Winfield gauged the status of his underachieving Buffalo Bills (4-7) and their playoff hopes on Monday.

''Nothing's left,'' Winfield said. ''We've got five games left. Go out there, do what you do. Go home at the end of the season.''

Winfield's was a blunt assessment of a team that has lost four straight and seven of its last nine after squandering an 11-point fourth-quarter lead in Sunday's 17-14 loss to Indianapolis.

The loss, combined with the Jets' win over Jacksonville, dropped the Bills into a tie with New York for last place in the AFC East. Overall, Buffalo ranks ninth in the AFC with four other teams, three wins behind Miami (7-4), which currently holds down the conference's sixth and final playoff spot.

The picture dims further when considering the Bills, who next face the New York Giants at the Meadowlands on Sunday, still have games against New England and Tennessee, both 9-2, and Miami.

''Right now we're 4-7, five games left and tough opponents,'' Winfield said. ''Running the table, I don't think it does any good right now.''

This is not where Winfield and the Bills envisioned themselves to be when they opened the season with wins against New England and Jacksonville. Those victories raised expectations even more for a team that bolstered its defense with several veteran free-agent additions including linebacker Takeo Spikes and safety Lawyer Milloy and was coming off last year's encouraging 8-8 finish.

''It's tough,'' Winfield said. ''Bringing the players that they brought in, I thought for sure that we'd at least make it to the playoffs. But it didn't work out that way and we just have to move on.''

Winfield said a lack of chemistry might have been a problem, comparing the Bills to the Washington Redskins, who have struggled the last few years despite a roster of high-profile players.

''The free agents (the Bills) brought in this year on defense just didn't live up to expectations,'' Winfield said. ''It's kind of like the same thing that happened in Washington. They brought in free agents there and didn't make it to the playoffs so it's the same situation.''

While Buffalo's defense has jelled over the past month, allowing a combined 39 points in its last three games, its offense is banged up and sputtering.

The Bills two touchdowns against Indianapolis ended a three-game drought, and they've yet to score a touchdown in four straight road games.

Injuries haven't helped.

Eric Moulds, their leading receiver, has missed three of the last six games with a slightly torn groin. Travis Henry, their leading rusher, has been hampered with torn rib cartilage and a hairline fracture just above his right ankle.

Then there's Buffalo's offensive line, where all five starters are nursing injuries: tackles Jonas Jennings (hip flexor) and Mike Williams (left shoulder strain), guards Ruben Brown (elbow) and Mike Pucillo (turf toe) and center Trey Teague (shoulder).

''You could go on for an hour about guys' injuries and why they shouldn't be out there,'' Teague said. ''And that's one of the reasons it's become more frustrating to the way the season's going.''

Bills president Tom Donahoe had trouble providing answers following Sunday's game.

''It's frustration more than disappointment. We have to find that missing ingredient that keeps us from winning,'' Donahoe said. ''We have to find a way to get better. That's on all of us.''

helmetguy
11-25-2003, 06:19 PM
I can understand Winfield's disappointment. After having all of our expectations heightened, GW and Co. pulled the ladder out from under all of us; players included. Winfield was just the first to say it in public.

SABURZFAN
11-25-2003, 06:22 PM
i don't think that winfield will be here next year.

casdhf
11-25-2003, 06:28 PM
It's easy to bash a team when the player plans on leaving.

BAM
11-25-2003, 06:29 PM
I hope he does come back. But if not, someone needs to get on the ball and replace him FAST!

The_Philster
11-25-2003, 06:41 PM
He's right to be upset. They keep putting him in "prevent" mode like they do. :cynic: People say he can't cover. How is he going to cover if he isn't put into position to cover?

ArcticWildMan
11-25-2003, 06:48 PM
Winfield is hardly one to be talking trash about his fellow players. He is far from a lockdown corner and consistantly allows receivers he is supposed to be covering, the chance to make plays.

If he had more than 1 INT in the past 3 years, maybe his smack would carry some weight. Unfortunately, he's talking out of his ass. 1 INT does not make him qualified to start questioning other players.

Bye bye Antoine, don't let the door hit you on the way out. :church:

The_Philster
11-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Like I said, how does anyone expect him to cover anyone when they line him up 7-10 yards off the ball?

ryguy8161
11-25-2003, 06:53 PM
He didn't single anyone out of the team. He's saying that with all the hype over all the free agents brought in, he expected more.

SABURZFAN
11-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by BradAlanMiller
I hope he does come back. But if not, someone needs to get on the ball and replace him FAST!

we may go with k.thomas and mcgee.rather than spend the money to keep him,we could use that money to improve the OL or get that DE we need.

helmetguy
11-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Didn't we all?

G. Host
11-25-2003, 09:39 PM
I think Winfield is targeting Milloy and thought the Bills should have offered him more and not brought Milloy. Milloy is way over paid as a safety and I think the Bills would have beat the Patriots without him even if it was not a shutout.

Personally I think doing a "Wade" was a mistake for it will cost him probowl votes.

Tatonka
11-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by NE39
Questions the play calls:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/11/25/bc.fbn.bills.winfield.ap/index.html

''The free agents (the Bills) brought in this year on defense just didn't live up to expectations,'' Winfield said. ''It's kind of like the same thing that happened in Washington. They brought in free agents there and didn't make it to the playoffs so it's the same situation.''

it sounds like he is specifically targeting spikes, milloy, and posey to me... he said the player brought in on defense havent lived up to expectations.. that is targetting his own guys.. those comments will seal his fate.. not that he cares.. i dont think he wants to be here, and he statements will likely cost him the opportunity to do just that.

Sparda
11-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Well if he stays he is going to be re-signed.

If not, Then I hope RW franchise tags him so we can get a great draft pick for him.

If we did trade him for a pick...then expect TD INC to just pick an early CB star anyways in thee upcoming 2004 NFL draft to replace him.

So either way...no worries. :loblo:

The Natrix
11-25-2003, 10:54 PM
I hope Spikes kicks his ass.

Stewie
11-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

we may go with k.thomas and mcgee.rather than spend the money to keep him,we could use that money to improve the OL or get that DE we need.

Great so we can get burned every other play a'la Chris Watson? No thanks

hwc
11-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Maybe Donohue can find a college corner who is rehabbing a blown-out knee to waste a first round draft pick on.

socalfan
11-25-2003, 11:52 PM
NO one could possibly think he is talking about Milloy, Spikes, Possey and Adams. Clearly he is talking about the free agents on defense that didn't make the starting lineup nor the team....like the defensive ends.

Historian
11-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Good for Antoine! I hope the Bills spin doctors are choking on this one.

BADTHINGSMAN
11-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
Good for Antoine! I hope the Bills spin doctors are choking on this one.

Exactly!! Winfield said what needed to be said.. Where is Spikes fire he had the first 2 games?? What has Milloy done since the first week?? Posey has been a disappointment.. Good for you Antoine..

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I hope Spikes kicks his ass.

Hes played a hell of a lot better than Nate Clements, who has burned alot more than Antoine this season. Im happy ahout his comments, maybe they'll finally fire this team up. Id put him up there with Pat and McGee as defensive MVP's this season.

STAMPY
11-28-2003, 07:58 PM
i rather have lawyer milloy on my team anyday over winfield... ANYDAY... MILLOY IS A LEADER

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 09:17 PM
And hes has showed that time and time again this season hasnt he?

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't understand this bickering over the D- they are the only ones who come to play each weekend. It's the O we got to kick in the behind

STAMPY
11-29-2003, 11:48 PM
your boy winfield has showed it huh

The_Philster
11-30-2003, 03:52 AM
Winfield's been mis-utilized. It's hard for him to cover WRs when he's played 7-10 yards off the LOS on a somewhat consistent basis. :cynic: