• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billsouth
    • Jul 2002

i am beginning to question td

1. he hires gw
    2. he allows gw to hire mike sheppard only to fire him after 1 year and replaces him with kg
    3. he trades up to draft ryan denney
    4. he drafts mcgahee when we have a really good back and have huge needs like DE, o-line, wr, etc
    5. he refuses to make a change
    6. he signs lindell to a long term contract site unseen
    7. he does nothing to improve the o-line this year
    8. he refuses to accept the obvious.... we need a change at head coach.
    9. he does not draft a speed wr
    10. he signs milloy to a multi year deal and refuses to sign winfield
    11. has made no effort to lock winfield up
    12. he trades for drew ( i think this was a good trade)

while i have always liked td and still do i cannot help to question some of his moves
    "once a raider always a raider"
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

1. he hires gw

He Hired GW- bad move on his part- but at the time who thought he was dismal? Annd why lay Sheppard or Gilbride on TD?

2. he allows gw to hire mike sheppard only to fire him after 1 year and replaces him with kg

According to an article on GW in this weekend's Buffalo News, GW was more responsible for bringing BOTH guys in here.

Williams was at odds with Sheppard about running the ball throughout the 2001 season. Sheppard wanted to do what he thought he was hired to do - run the West Coast attack in its pure form, as he had learned from Mike Holmgren in Seattle. The pass should set up the run. Get the linebackers on their heels and thinking pass, then run the ball at them. As the season went on, Williams wanted to get Travis Henry the ball more often. So Williams decided it was a mistake with Sheppard and moved on.

When you're a first-time head coach, you usually only get one mulligan when it comes to picking coordinators.

Williams needed to hit a home run with his second choice. His job depended on it. The Bills did not know who their quarterback was going to be when Sheppard was fired. Drew Bledsoe was not an obvious option in January 2002. Williams still was seriously considering trying to get Johnson to take a big pay cut and return. So Williams had free rein to hire whomever best matched his philosophy.

After missing with the relatively inexperienced Sheppard, Williams hired Kevin Gilbride, who brought a wealth of experience. He also brought a reputation as a passing-game expert. Do you hire Gilbride if you want to play a close-to-the-vest, win-with-defense style? Probably not.

Of course, subsequently Bledsoe was acquired, and his passing carried a young team the first half of last season. Still, the best success Bledsoe has had in his career came when he had a fine running back, Curtis Martin, in New England. Over the long haul, Williams had to know that Bledsoe would look better in the kind of offense that John Elway ran late in his career, as opposed to the kind of offense Jim Kelly ran.

While Denny hasn't been all that and a bag of chips- he's not a complete bust yet. Of course don't fail to mention trading DOWN and getting Clements& Travis Henry the season before.

4. he drafts mcgahee when we have a really good back and have huge needs like DE, o-line, wr, etc

Drafted McGahee - a top 5 pick in any draft in a weak- watered down draft year. Who would you have selected with the pick? All the DE's were gone- we would have probably picked Kelsay if McGahee wasn't there in the 1st round as it is.

5. he refuses to make a change-

Unless there is a complete melt down coaches are not fired mid-season- period. Name the last one fired while his team still had a mathmatical shot at winning. The only one I can come up with is Norv Turner- and That was Dan Snyder's call- you want Dan Snyder-like decisions running this team?

6. he signs lindell to a long term contract site unseen-

Oh please. Signs Lindell "sight unseen"? What are you talking about? This guy didn't walk out of the forest in siberea. It's called film. It's used all the time. And they do have scouts in the NFL as well. And he's an upgrade over Hollis.

And tell me- dig up your posts where you were complaining about the O-Line and all the changes we needed. It's not TD's fault that Williams/Gillbride benched Sullivan for Pucillo.

You are repeating yourself here

9. he does not draft a speed wr-

He Drafted Reed the year before- everyone was in love with this kid in training camp- Yes he's struggled with everyone else in this offense- Who would you have preferred we draft ? Who was available?

Refusing to Sign Winfield? It's a CB rich market- TD isn't going to hand over bags of money to the guy. Do you want to over pay just because you have the cash lying around? I think he's taking the correct approach to AW. Now Milloy- he's a huge upgrade over Wire- the guy wasn't here a month and everyone expects him tp pick up the defense like he's known it all his life. it took the rest of these guys over a year to adapt. in the past month, please point out his awful performances?

Add in-

Acquired Milloy
    Acquired Adams
    Acquired Spikes
    Acquired Fletcher
    Brought in LeBeau
    Fixed a dismal cap
    Got something for nothing in the Price deal- a 1st round pick

All of this rotates around GW and his lack of coaching leadership. TD had gone above and beyond in the past 3 offseasons rebuilding this team from ashes. He just made a mistake in selecting the coach. Changes will be made in January to rectify that.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
      • Jul 2002

This looks like the Anti-Billsouth reply. While I don't entirely agree or disagree with everything, he's not that far off.
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Sparda
        • Nov 2003

Well there is sometimes a good reason knowing TD INC during draft day.

But honestly, I to question the denney pick.

He has so far produced nothing and is already turning out to be a bust.

But as for McGahee. I have no problem there. Atleast now we are going to have a great RB core for years to come to keep the flow & tempo of our running game.

Now we can focus on OTHER needs on both sides of the ball for our bills team in future offseasons.

Mostly our attention will be ALL OUT OFFENSE this offseason leaving FA to handle the defense.
        Sparda's NFL Draft & Player Prospects Info Wake Up And Seek The Truth

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          1. he hires gw

He Hired GW- bad move on his part- but at the time who thought he was dismal? Annd why lay Sheppard or Gilbride on TD?

According to an article on GW in this weekend's Buffalo News, GW was more responsible for bringing BOTH guys in here.

While Denny hasn't been all that and a bag of chips- he's not a complete bust yet. Of course don't fail to mention trading DOWN and getting Clements& Travis Henry the season before.

Drafted McGahee - a top 5 pick in any draft in a weak- watered down draft year. Who would you have selected with the pick? All the DE's were gone- we would have probably picked Kelsay if McGahee wasn't there in the 1st round as it is.

5. he refuses to make a change-

Unless there is a complete melt down coaches are not fired mid-season- period. Name the last one fired while his team still had a mathmatical shot at winning. The only one I can come up with is Norv Turner- and That was Dan Snyder's call- you want Dan Snyder-like decisions running this team?

6. he signs lindell to a long term contract site unseen-

Oh please. Signs Lindell "sight unseen"? What are you talking about? This guy didn't walk out of the forest in siberea. It's called film. It's used all the time. And they do have scouts in the NFL as well. And he's an upgrade over Hollis.

And tell me- dig up your posts where you were complaining about the O-Line and all the changes we needed. It's not TD's fault that Williams/Gillbride benched Sullivan for Pucillo.

You are repeating yourself here

9. he does not draft a speed wr-

He Drafted Reed the year before- everyone was in love with this kid in training camp- Yes he's struggled with everyone else in this offense- Who would you have preferred we draft ? Who was available?

Refusing to Sign Winfield? It's a CB rich market- TD isn't going to hand over bags of money to the guy. Do you want to over pay just because you have the cash lying around? I think he's taking the correct approach to AW. Now Milloy- he's a huge upgrade over Wire- the guy wasn't here a month and everyone expects him tp pick up the defense like he's known it all his life. it took the rest of these guys over a year to adapt. in the past month, please point out his awful performances?

Add in-

Acquired Milloy
          Acquired Adams
          Acquired Spikes
          Acquired Fletcher
          Brought in LeBeau
          Fixed a dismal cap
          Got something for nothing in the Price deal- a 1st round pick

All of this rotates around GW and his lack of coaching leadership. TD had gone above and beyond in the past 3 offseasons rebuilding this team from ashes. He just made a mistake in selecting the coach. Changes will be made in January to rectify that.
          A ***** men!

Comment

• socalfan
            Old Fogey from Cali
            • Feb 2003

[i].......

Dozer, I read the Bflo News article and I'm still having trouble believing it. I find it really hard to believe that GW is solely responsible for bringing in both Mike Sheppard and Kevin Gilbride. Especially, when Gilbride is brought in while Rob Johnson is still considered available as the first string QB.

I also found the article implausible in that it said that GW was trying to keep Rob here by getting Rob to take a pay cut. It's hard to believe that GW has anything to do with contract negotiations.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

Well said Dozer, TD has made the moves when he needed a position filled with the the player available.

Comment

• ryven
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by socalfan

Dozer, I read the Bflo News article and I'm still having trouble believing it. I find it really hard to believe that GW is solely responsible for bringing in both Mike Sheppard and Kevin Gilbride. Especially, when Gilbride is brought in while Rob Johnson is still considered available as the first string QB.

I also found the article implausible in that it said that GW was trying to keep Rob here by getting Rob to take a pay cut. It's hard to believe that GW has anything to do with contract negotiations.
                I thought Gilbride and Bledsoe came in at the same time.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ryven

I thought so too!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Nope- Sheppard was fired in January- Gilbride brought on board in February, Bledsoe was acquired day 2 of the draft in Late April

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by ryven

No. Bledsoe was here last season as well and this is only Gilbride's first year on the Bills' coaching staff.

Where have you guys been?

Comment

• ryven
                        • Jan 2003

OK but I still thought as soon as the season was done RJ got his walking papers atleast before KG came in.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Nope- Sheppard was fired in January- Gilbride brought on board in February, Bledsoe was acquired day 2 of the draft in Late April
                          Oh well Gilbride still sucks!

Comment

• ryven
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

No. Bledsoe was here last season as well and this is only Gilbride's first year on the Bills' coaching staff.

please tell me your joking or its just to early for me to pick up the sarcasim

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

I take it back. You guys were right. Gilbride was here last season too.

Duh. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X