PDA

View Full Version : A priority for offseason many have not thought of

G. Host
11-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Many people think big but I tend to find small holes which can have a big impact and do not take very much to fix.

Hole 1: A long snapper. TD addressed a punt snapper and he has been playing well even making some tackles but a long snapper is needed badly by the Bills. FGs often make the difference in later months and this year in earlier months as well.

Neither Moore nor Trey can shotgun snap and a good shotgun snapper is needed. The typical shotgun is usually smaller than a NFL center and a little bigger than most TEs but still stout enough to hold back the rush a few seconds and still be able to move down field an tackle if needed. Often he is a wedge buster on ST. He often can be used in short yard situations as an extra blocker or outlet receiver. Good hands/reflexes are essential but not necessarily speed.

We used to have such a player - Ethan Albright who was cut for a few hundred thousand by TD and who TD attempted to bring back but he turned down the offer. Albright NEVER blew a snap his entire time in Buffalo and that included a lot of games in bad weather.

I do not know what it takes to find this type of player but for the Bills to win those close games next year we need someone better than anybody on roster right now. I think it is much more valuable than a #5 CB or a #9 OL.

caveboy
11-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Our punting game has been fairly solid, accept for that blown play on Sunday. Agree that we can use a shotgun snapper.

Other hole IMO on ST is lack of deep kick-off threat. Watch where 'Blazing/Amazing' speed Brown starts out on our kick-off returns (endzone or 5) versus where we allow opponents to start, (from their 15 or better).