PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Quarterbacks

Michael82
11-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Here's a list that I found in Pro Football Weekly!

Quarterbacks:
Todd Bouman - New Orleans (UFA)
Marc Bulger - St. Louis (RFA)
Scott Covington - St. Louis (UFA)
Ty Detmer - Detroit (UFA)
A.J. Feeley - Philadelphia Eagles (RFA)
Jason Garrett - NY Giants (UFA)
Damon Huard - New England (UFA)
Doug Johnson - Atlanta (UFA)
Shaun King - Tampa Bay (UFA)
Peyton Manning - Indianapolis (UFA) :drool:
Shane Matthews - Cincinnati (UFA)
Mike McMahon - Detroit (RFA)
Rick Mirer - Oakland (UFA)
Jesse Palmer - NY Giants (RFA)
Doug Pederson - Green Bay (UFA)
Jonathan Quinn - Kansas City (UFA)
Chris Redman - Baltimore (UFA)
Sage Rosenfels - Miami (RFA)
Billy Volek - Tennessee (UFA)
Anthony Wright - Baltimore (UFA)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Potential 2004 Salary-Cap Casualties:
QB Mark Brunell - Jacksonville
QB Tim Couch - Cleveland
QB Kurt Warner - St. Louis
QB Rich Gannon - Oakland
QB Brian Griese - Miami
QB Jay Fiedler - Miami

Michael82
11-26-2003, 02:03 PM
So, now the question is....who do you want? Is there anyone on this list that we should sign?

:feedback:

Patrick76777
11-26-2003, 02:06 PM
None of the above. Ride it out with Drew.

Remember that everyone always blames the coach and the QB!

R. Rich
11-26-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

I don't. I blame you.

Michael82
11-26-2003, 02:08 PM

True and after looking at that list, especially the free agents....I see NO ONE that excites me enough to toss Bledsoe aside.

Patrick76777
11-26-2003, 02:08 PM
I will say that Billy Volek will get a nice audition this weekend. It's his big chance.

STAMPY
11-26-2003, 02:09 PM
yea i don't want those guys... draft one of the qbs and let him back up drew till he's ready

Michael82
11-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
yea i don't want those guys... draft one of the qbs and let him back up drew till he's ready

Agreed! But you better bring a good QB coach in to work with him and have AVP work with him too!

R. Rich
11-26-2003, 02:11 PM
I will say that Billy Volek will get a nice audition this weekend. It's his big chance.

There's an idea: take someone based on a one game performance. It worked so well for us last time.

Michael82
11-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
There's an idea: take someone based on a one game performance. It worked so well for us last time.

Both times. :eek:

Rob Johnson when he was in Jacksonville, and Travis Brown against Miami. That's one of the main reasons he has stayed as long as he did.

R. Rich
11-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Both times. :eek:

Rob Johnson when he was in Jacksonville, and Travis Brown against Miami. That's one of the main reasons he has stayed as long as he did.

We're not the only team that has been so 'fortunate'. Remember the Scott Mitchell experiment?

EM Bills Fan 80
11-26-2003, 02:30 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing AJ Feeley brought in.

G. Host
11-26-2003, 02:38 PM
What happened to Rob Johnson? Did he sign a multi-year contract with Oakland? I do not think so.

Michael82
11-26-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by EM Bills Fan 80

He looked pretty good when he came in, last year! :up:

justasportsfan
11-26-2003, 02:57 PM

...and pay a below average qb 7 million/yr? Hell no. He restructures or he's gone. He isn't worth 5 million if you ask me.

Dozerdog
11-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Maybe Feely or Shaun King as a replacement for AVP - then develop a draft pick over the next few seasons- that's about it

The_Philster
11-26-2003, 03:37 PM
We're not the only team that has been so 'fortunate'. Remember the Scott Mitchell experiment?

I do. :snicker: I loved watching him struggle like he did in Detroit.

BillsFever
11-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
...and pay a below average qb 7 million/yr? Hell no. He restructures or he's gone. He isn't worth 5 million if you ask me.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew Bledsoe is not worth the 6.5 million dollars he is scheduled to make next year. And if we ever picked up his option next year I wouldn't be at any more games anytime soon.

His option if for 5 years, about 40 million dollars, and a 7 million dollar bonus. There is no way he's worth that money now let alone over the next 5 years.

If this was just about any other QB except for Drew Bledsoe his backers would be calling for that QB's head. That I can gurantee.

Dozerdog
11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew Bledsoe is not worth the 6.5 million dollars he is scheduled to make next year. And if we ever picked up his option next year I wouldn't be at any more games anytime soon.

His option if for 5 years, about 40 million dollars, and a 7 million dollar bonus. There is no way he's worth that money now let alone over the next 5 years.

If this was just about any other QB except for Drew Bledsoe his backers would be calling for that QB's head. That I can gurantee.

So if ther Bills get Tom Coughlin, Run the Ball 40 times a game, let Bledsoe throw it 20 times, go 12-4, and decide to pick up his option- you swearing off the Bills?

I guess it's a free country.

I wouldn't get all excited. Let the season end, get a coach- he will decide what he wants to do.

If Bledsoe returns (and he will) it will be with a renegotiated deal-

BillsFever
11-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
So if ther Bills get Tom Coughlin, Run the Ball 40 times a game, let Bledsoe throw it 20 times, go 12-4, and decide to pick up his option- you swearing off the Bills?

I guess it's a free country.

I wouldn't get all excited. Let the season end, get a coach- he will decide what he wants to do.

If Bledsoe returns (and he will) it will be with a renegotiated deal-

So you wanna pay a 32 year old, career .500 QB 8 million dollars a year to be a caretaker? We could get somebody for about 2 million dollars a year to do that job.

First of all Bledsoe isn't a caretaker type of QB. Them are QB's that is gonna play within the system and limit mistakes. Drew Bledsoe has proved over 11 years that he can't limit his mistakes.

The Bledsoe supporters think he is so good but yet they wanna take the ball out of his hands more and more?

If the QB was only gonna pass 20 times a game I'd rather take somebody for about 2 million a year instead of 8 million dollars a year. That would be insane to pay an already overrated QB(or any QB) 8 million dollars a year to hand the ball off.

BillsFever
11-26-2003, 05:13 PM
And do we really wanna renegotiate a 32 year old QB who is 17-33 over his last 50 games and push all of his cap numbers back? We'd get 2 more crappy years out of him at the most and then we'd have about a 5 million dollar cap hit when we finally got rid of him.

Drew Bledsoe isn't worth future cap hell if you ask me. A pay cut? Sure I can handle that. A renogiation? No thanks.

Novacane
11-26-2003, 05:16 PM
You are so right Fever. Most of the people that want to keep Bledsoe use the arguement that he will be ok if we run the ball most the time. THAN WHY pay him FRANCHISE QB money?????????????????
If he does not re-negotiate that huge bonus he should be gone. Use that money on Brunell. I'd take him over Drew in a heartbeat!

BillsFever
11-26-2003, 05:19 PM
If you look at the teams that run it 40 times a game and maybe pass about 20 times a game, them are all QB's who they don't trust to pass, that's why they keep running it and take the ball out of their hands.

Jake Delohomme
Kyle Boller
Quincy Carter
Jay Fiedler

Them are teams that run the ball about 40 times a game and pass about 20 times a game. Them are all average QB's who can't handle the load. That's why they run the ball as often as they do.

With the exception of Jay Fiedler them guys aren't making squat. That's what a caretaker is.

Dozerdog
11-26-2003, 05:20 PM
If I were TD, I'd use this season as leverage to knock down the salary.

If he refuses, then it's time toconsider other options.

I do like him a s a caretaker QB- if the Bills need to convert a power running game into a passing attack (cath up, ect...) then he's better suited for it then a Trent Dilfer.

Don't let this year's 10 yard predictable patterns cloud your judgement. If we can get a power running game going with sprinkling in last season's offense, I think we can do something here.

But if you want to dump all the woes on our QB- that's your choice- you can keep GW & KG and try a better QB

Novacane
11-26-2003, 05:24 PM

But if you want to dump all the woes on our QB- that's your choice- you can keep GW & KG and try a better QB

I want to dump GW, KG AND try a better QB:biggrin:

BillsFever
11-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
You are so right Fever. Most of the people that want to keep Bledsoe use the arguement that he will be ok if we run the ball most the time. THAN WHY pay him FRANCHISE QB money?????????????????
If he does not re-negotiate that huge bonus he should be gone. Use that money on Brunell. I'd take him over Drew in a heartbeat!

I can't agree more, FTG

Only franchise QB's make 8+ million dollars a year. Franchise QB's don't hand the ball off 40 times a game. They get paid to put the ball in their hands and make plays.

Do you see Peyton Manning handing the ball off 40 times a game? How about Donovan McNabb? How about Matt Hasselback? Culpepper? McNair? Brady?

They don't because they are FRANCHISE QB's, and the teams don't have to worry about putting the game on their shoulders and them screwing up most of the time.

I could just see some team signing one of them to an 8+ million dollar a year contract and telling them to hand the ball off 40 times a game. It would never happen because they are good QB's.

BillsFever
11-26-2003, 05:31 PM

I do like him a s a caretaker QB- if the Bills need to convert a power running game into a passing attack (cath up, ect...) then he's better suited for it then a Trent Dilfer.

Don't let this year's 10 yard predictable patterns cloud your judgement. If we can get a power running game going with sprinkling in last season's offense, I think we can do something here.

Well if the QB shouldn't take all the blame, then why does the OL, WR's, and coaching staff take all the blame and Drew doesn't?

If that's the case then the Broncos would've had to get a whole new OL, new coaching staff and all new WR's, when all they had to do is replace Griesie with Plummer.

And I ask once more. Why pay a QB franchise money to be a caretaker? We could get somebody for 6 million less a year and use that somewhere else on the team.

Do you think any of them teams I listed above would sign a QB for 8+ million a year to be a caretaker for their offense? Nah, I don't think so and neither should we.

IHateTheDullphins
11-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by EM Bills Fan 80

I agree:up: This guy got it done in Philly last year!

justasportsfan
11-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Like or not Drew is going to stay and it seems RW is all for it. I'm not a big Drew hater nor do I really support the guy. When he's good ,he's good and when he sucks , he really sucks. Problem is he tends to suck during big games. This leads me to believe that I think Drew has what it takes to take us to the playoffs with a great coach but he may blow it when the games get bigger the deeper we get into the playoffs.

I doubt we'll see a sb w/ Drew in there unless we minimize and keep the ball away from his hands. If we do , we are overpaying him if we don't restructure.

The_Philster
11-26-2003, 06:46 PM
There aren't that many QBs that can be successful without a running game. I guess people think that Drew has to be one of those very few in order to be worth keeping

justasportsfan
11-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
There aren't that many QBs that can be successful without a running game. I guess people think that Drew has to be one of those very few in order to be worth keeping

Phil, we ran the ball well last Sunday and other games. Drew was missing his targets all night and this isn't the first time. We don't need him to make things happen. Against Miami , we didn't need him to do anything but be mistake free and not suck . He sucked when he tried too hard.

Against the Pats , his nos weren't great but at least he was mistake free, the OL was clicking and especially our D. He was awsome against the Redskins and Jags but those teams D sucked.

I understand Gilbride is the brains behind our horrible O but we are ranked 2nd to the last in points in the entire leaguebecause of Drew as well. Right now he has been playing like a liability. I was one of Rob Johnsons biggest critic and Drew is playing like Rob.

If Drew keeps playing the way he does, we're looking at the bottom of the AFCE once again and the 3-13 season is starting to look like a better season compared to this.

The_Philster
11-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Oh believe me, I know exactly what you're talking about and I am far from happy with his play...but I see far too many people trying to pin all the blame on the QB. He's definitely on the downside of his career but he's hardly the worst problem we have, as some have tried to label him. I was hoping we'd pick up a QB this past draft to groom to take over for him within the next few years. I think he can still do the job but not for much longer.

saviorbledsoe
11-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey maybe you couple radical Drew bashers should get a room or something instead of making out in here in front of us Bills fans??

Novacane
11-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Hey maybe you couple radical Drew bashers should get a room or something instead of making out in here in front of us Bills fans??

Grow up would you. I see the facts. Thats right, FACTS. Bledsoe has won 50% of his career games. If you want to keep backing a 500 QB thats cool. Just quit stupid comments like the one above

JefftheBillsfan
11-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Tim Couch with a fresh start could turn it around here IMO. He is still pretty young too..

mybills
11-27-2003, 08:03 AM
If we have to be stuck with GW & KG (the pass happy duo) and they decide to keep Drew here...than I wouldn't mind Bledsoe backing up Manning or Bulger. :snicker:

helmetguy
11-27-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
Tim Couch with a fresh start could turn it around here IMO. He is still pretty young too..

Looks like he's pretty thin skinned to me. If he was crying in Cleveland, imagine how Buffalo would treat him; particularly if he doesn't "light it up" immediately.

justasportsfan
11-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
He's definitely on the downside of his career but he's hardly the worst problem we have, as some have tried to label him.

So far this year, he is a huge problem. A Liability both performance wise and salary cap wise.

Three major reason why we are not going to make the playoffs.

1. GW
2.Gilbride
3. Drew.

Those IMO are top three. The problem here is that no.3 is being paid a lot of $$$ to be a liability. I still think Drew has it in him to take us to the playoffs but not all the way to the sb and win it. History has proven he cannot win and tends to suck at big games.

MDFINFAN
11-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Brian Griese will be a free agent also next off season..

Patrick76777
11-28-2003, 07:48 AM

Let the Record show that I DID NOT say that we should pick him up if he plays well this week. I simply said that this guy has the stage and could make a lot of money by playing well this weekend.

I also did not say this. I simply said that I'd rather have Drew as my QB then any of the other guys. It's not my job to figure out how much he's going to make. My point is that he's better, much better, then that entire list.

Patrick76777
11-28-2003, 07:50 AM

Drew Bledsoe is not worth the 6.5 million dollars he is scheduled to make next year.

...and pay a below average qb 7 million/yr?

So you wanna pay a 32 year old, career .500 QB 8 million dollars a year to be a caretaker?

Wow, I’m confused. If this thread goes any longer Drew’s going to be taking up half of our Salary cap!

Novacane
11-28-2003, 08:17 AM

My point is that he's better, much better, then that entire list.

He's not playing like it.:sick:

Patrick76777
11-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Point taken, he is not playing well at all.

However,

He's also playing with a s#it for brains OC, A Number 1 running back with a busted rib and leg, a number 1 WR with a torn groin, a number 2 WR who is has been playing the number 1 spot, who was not ready to even be the number 2.

Novacane
11-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Yes, This list is mostly crappy but there is no way Bledsoe is way better than everyone on that list.

Guys I'd take on that list over Bledsoe for sure:

Manning (no brainer)
Bulger
Brunell

No worse than Drew.....better IMO:
Couch
Warner
Fiedler

Young guys that I'd take a chance on:
Mike McMahon

The rest of the list sucks.

R. Rich
11-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Point taken, he is not playing well at all.

However,

He's also playing with a s#it for brains OC, A Number 1 running back with a busted rib and leg, a number 1 WR with a torn groin, a number 2 WR who is has been playing the number 1 spot, who was not ready to even be the number 2.

Not to mention an offensive line that has regressed.

In spite of that, there are many times when Drew just makes bad decisions. Even when the pass protection improves, he'll still make mistakes because he still holds onto the ball far too long and panics in the face of a rush (even the best O lines break down on occasion). Maybe if they hire a QB coach, he can help with those things. Maybe it's too late and he'll continue to do it. I don't know, neither does anyone else. The best we can hope for now is to upgrade the line so that Drew will feel more comfortable. From there, it's up to him.

Moulds80
11-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Like or not Drew is going to stay and it seems RW is all for it. I'm not a big Drew hater nor do I really support the guy. When he's good ,he's good and when he sucks , he really sucks. Problem is he tends to suck during big games. This leads me to believe that I think Drew has what it takes to take us to the playoffs with a great coach but he may blow it when the games get bigger the deeper we get into the playoffs.

I doubt we'll see a sb w/ Drew in there unless we minimize and keep the ball away from his hands. If we do , we are overpaying him if we don't restructure.

Funny you say that because if I remember correctly in 2001, he came in from off of the bench and won the AFC Championship for the Pats so they could make it to the Superbowl. Maybe I'm just crazy and full of turkey, but doesn't that constitute as one of the biggest games next to the superbowl? :wine:

justasportsfan
11-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Moulds80

Funny you say that because if I remember correctly in 2001, he came in from off of the bench and won the AFC Championship for the Pats so they could make it to the Superbowl. Maybe I'm just crazy and full of turkey, but doesn't that constitute as one of the biggest games next to the superbowl? :wine:

That's one of out how many big games? Even then he wasn't great he just didn't have to suck. He was a PAt then and all I care is what he does as a bill. What has he done? :idunno:

The fins game was such a big game for the bills and their fans and he sucked.

Drew is considered an elite qb. Even under worse situations like a bad OC and horrible OL, he should at least play like he isn't part of that problem. It should be clear that a great leader can get the fire out of his players. Remember Kelly who said "screw it, I'm getting this done my way."

Let me asked you guys this, do you think any team out there would pick up Drew and his salary if he were thrown out there next year after what he has shown playing at buffalo regardless of the coaching issues?

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan

I'm not sold on his leadership skills. I remember his crying when Cleveland fans were riding him.

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 11:02 AM
That's one of out how many big games? Even then he wasn't great he just didn't have to suck. He was a PAt then and all I care is what he does as a bill. What has he done? :idunno:

The fins game was such a big game for the bills and their fans and he sucked.

Drew is considered an elite qb. Even under worse situations like a bad OC and horrible OL, he should at least play like he isn't part of that problem. It should be clear that an great can get the fire out of his players. Remember Kelly who said "screw it, I'm getting this done my way."

Let me asked you guys this, do you think any team out there would pick up Drew and his salary if he were thrown out there next year after what he has shown playing at buffalo regardless of the coaching issues?

I thought the Jets loss last season, and the Minnesota and Miami (dec) wins were huge games that he excelled in. And if we had this year's defense, we coould have beaten Oakland , the Jets, and possibly even KC

Let's give him a shot with a real coach- you have to admit the deck has been stacked against him all season

Patrick76777
11-28-2003, 11:11 AM
That NE game in week one was a big win!

justasportsfan
11-28-2003, 11:22 AM
That NE game in week one was a big win!

It was but we caught them by surprise. Just like last year when there isn't enough to know what the bills team is all about, we rock. As soon as teams know what we are all about, it's easy for teams to beat the hell out of us.

Last year, they had to figure out what our offense was about early on. Eventually is was, pressure Drew. This year, it the same thing, pressure Drew. This is the reason why we were suppose to run the ball more so the pressure was taken away from Drew.

Our OL sucks and it's easy to beat us, pressure Drew. Teams don't even have to score a lot to beat us this year and they are having a hard time because of our D, just don't let the bills score which isn'thard for teams to do when facing our O.

I am willing to see what Drew can do with great coaches but just not at the salary he carries. It's obvious that he isn't a high pressured qb. I still say Drew is better than Rob or Flutie but he is slowly but surely losing his credibilty with what he said "I will we happier(proud ?) of the sb ring I will win with the Bills" (paraphrasing) .

If he restructures his salary in order for us to get that OL he needs around him , I'm all for keeping him "WHILE WE GROOM HIS REPLACEMENT" .

Ickybaluky
11-30-2003, 01:04 AM
Funny you say that because if I remember correctly in 2001, he came in from off of the bench and won the AFC Championship for the Pats so they could make it to the Superbowl. Maybe I'm just crazy and full of turkey, but doesn't that constitute as one of the biggest games next to the superbowl?

If you watched that game, you would know Drew didn't exactly carry the Pats to victory. He came in off the bench and hit 3 straight throws for a TD, then sucked for the rest of the game. Granted, you cut him some slack for not playing for a while, but he had been practicing.

In that game, Bledsoe completed less than 50% of his passes and threw for barely over 100 yards. He twice threw balls into the chest of Joey Porter, only to have Porter drop sure Ints (one that would have been a sure return for TD). In short, typical big-game Drew. He makes a few good plays and a few bad ones, but is largely ineffective. The Pats end up winning the game based on their totally confusing Kordell Stewart and 2 scores on ST.

The_Philster
11-30-2003, 03:55 AM
It's not about the stats or even the way he played though, NE39...it's about the win. From the way some talk, every win and loss is just because of the QB. He was in the game when they won...so he gets the credit.
Kinda silly way of thinking, huh?

mybills
11-30-2003, 08:08 AM
NE39 is absolutely correct! :up:

..and because Drew is Drew, there isn't a coach out there that can change/better him. Plus the guy needs a stockade fence in front of him so he can hold the ball as long as he wants to without being touched. There's no stockade fense offense in this league for him or anyone else. He's set in his ways & it ain't gonna change no matter what.

I never wanted him, and I still don't. But I (as a Bills fan) am stuck with him.
:sadwalk: