PDA

View Full Version : Embattled Fassel calls Mitchell into office

BillsFever
11-27-2003, 01:41 AM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Not only has Brian Mitchell disappointed Jim Fassel on the field, the NFL's all-time leading return man is doing it in the New York Giants' locker room at a time the coach has much bigger problems.

Mitchell, last in the NFL in punt return average and total return yards this season, lashed out at Fassel this week after being replaced by Delvin Joyce in the fourth quarter Monday night against Tampa Bay.

Mitchell criticized Fassel for failing to tell him about the change in the game and for making him a scapegoat for the team's punt return woes in a season in which the Giants (4-7) have underachieved.

"I think he gets frustrated like anyone else, and I think I have a lot of guys down in that room that don't want to here that," Fassel said. "He is not having the year he wanted to have and we are not having the year we wanted to have.

"There is frustration coming out with everybody."

An annoyed Fassel called Mitchell into his office "for a good conversation" on Wednesday after reading the report.

Mitchell, averaging a league-worst 4.1 yards on punt returns, refused to discuss the situation Wednesday in a very brief appearance in the locker room.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6869359