PDA

View Full Version : Sabres - Playoffs or not?

Makaveli
11-28-2003, 10:37 AM
alright... in your honest opinion, put your "I gotta have faith" feeling aside, do you think the sabres will make the playoffs? and if so, how far do you think they will go?

Makaveli
11-28-2003, 10:39 AM
i said yes but put out in the second round!

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Right now they are a playoff-caliber team. But there is a lot of road to travel before that happens.

1) Goalie situation- If Biron goes- depends on what we get in return. If we get a big time defenseman that can play 25 mins a night & clean up in front of the net- The Sabres could be a suprise in the playoffs

2) Goalie situation part 2- If Biron goes, depends on how Miller/Nooronen handle the playoffs- neither have playoff experience as "The guy"

3) We keep all 3, an Biron has to be HUGE - almost Giggy-like for the Sabres to go anywhere outside round 1

4) All depends on who the Sabres get matched up against. The Bruins are smoking right now, but their Goalies are suspect and their defense is lacking. They could pull an el-foldo like in previous playoff runs.

pyrrhonist
11-28-2003, 12:19 PM
I voted "In playoffs---Out in 1st round". I agree that this team is a playoff contender (And have since the upgrades in the offseason), but I can't believe that they'll go any farther than the 1st round, and mainly because in an NHL that is defense first, the Sabres have issues playing defense.

JD
11-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Who the hell voted no?

SkateZilla
11-28-2003, 03:41 PM
yes

we'll make the playoffs in the #5 spot
Sweep washington and lose 4-2 against Ottawa

JD
11-29-2003, 01:15 AM
You sound confident Skate, you be talkin with Mrs. Cleo lately??

:lol:

SkateZilla
11-29-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by pyrrhonist
I voted "In playoffs---Out in 1st round". I agree that this team is a playoff contender (And have since the upgrades in the offseason), but I can't believe that they'll go any farther than the 1st round, and mainly because in an NHL that is defense first, the Sabres have issues playing defense.

But if the Other Teams are Playing Defense First, that means they play offense second...

so in advertingly raising some pressure off our defense :)

sounds complicated i know..

SkateZilla
11-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by JD SabreFan
You sound confident Skate, you be talkin with Mrs. Cleo lately??

:lol:

no but im seeing some trades for a better defense,

and When Timmy boy comes back he's gonna take the the league by storm :) (yeah wishful thinking i know)

Sabre Ally
11-29-2003, 09:40 AM
Maybe we can trade Timmy boy for ..... oh, nevermind. All we'd get is a bucket of practice pucks anyway.

pyrrhonist
11-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by SkateZilla
But if the Other Teams are Playing Defense First, that means they play offense second...

I admire your optimism, Skate, but I don't see us realistically moving far in the playoffs. I'm not saying I don't have any faith in the team, but the original question asked us to put the homerism aside, and be realistic. If 2 low-scoring, trap-based teams like Anaheim and Minnesota could shut down offensive juggernauts like Detroit & Vancouver last playoffs, what chance would we have? :bigwave:

The_Philster
11-29-2003, 11:46 AM
It's not even half way into a long season yet. So many things can happen for anyone to make any accurate predictions on the playoffs, IMO.

Sabre Ally
11-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but that's part of the fun, Phil. We have these polls in the Bills Zone, what, after every other practice, about? ;)

The_Philster
11-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Well..I have yet to see a game so I wouldn't have a clue about this year....although I do have a few points in the score predictions threads ;)
:angry: Time Warner