Top 5:
1. Ferentz
2. Sherman (GB WR coach)
3. Saban
4. Zorn (SEA QB coach)
5. Gray

The_Philster
11-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Please tell me that #5 is not defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. This defense would be a joke without LeBeau

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Zorn? Please...

No Coughlin? No Dennis Green?

Did you want Jerry Gray for coach 12 months ago? Why now?

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 06:44 PM
The way he is coaching the D, dont be surprised if TD gives him a good shot at it, since he already knows the system and players well. I like him as a coach hes excelled everywhere hes been.

Novacane
11-28-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm with Phil. NO WAY Gray should be a canidate for this job!!!!!!!!

Tatonka
11-28-2003, 06:46 PM
i would say that you would have to add the D coordinator from N.E. to that list. Kernell.

The_Philster
11-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
The way he is coaching the D, dont be surprised if TD gives him a good shot at it, since he already knows the system and players well. I like him as a coach hes excelled everywhere hes been.

The way HE is coaching the D? LeBeau is a big part of what our defense is doing. Unless you want them to be co-head coaches...I don't know what Jerry Gray you are watching.

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Zorn? Please...

No Coughlin? No Dennis Green?

Did you want Jerry Gray for coach 12 months ago? Why now?

Zorn turned Hasselback into a top NFL QB. Led the NFC is completeion Pct. last year. Yea I also wanted Gray for coach 12 months ago, his performance this season just further proves to me why he should be. Coughlin would be a nice choice but I want somebody younger. Green faltered in Minny, and has been out of football too long for me. If you dont like my ideas give me your top 5.

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Is Gray the one calling plays? Yea. Is he the one talking to the D on the sidelines? Yea. Is he the DC? yes. Does Lebeau have an effect on him? Yea Im sure but I dont think Dick has that big of an effect on this D. This is Gray D's not Lebeau's. Keep Dick on as DC, Gray for HC. Wouldnt make me mad. Couldnt do any worse either.

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 06:51 PM
My 4- (No particular order)

Coughlin, Saban, Ferentz, Romeo Crennel (Pats DC),

And I'd take these retreads if they became available before Gray, Zorn, Sherman-

Jauron, Haslett, Schottenheimer, Dennis Green, Dan Reeves

The_Philster
11-28-2003, 06:51 PM
You don't think LeBeau has a big effect? :eek:
How many zone blitzes did Gray run before LeBeau got here?

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Whats wrong with Zorn or Sherman. They have made great progress with little talent. Sherman took Driver and made him into a #1 WR. Walker is now feared around the league and Ferguson isnt a bad #3.

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 06:53 PM
I'd even take Norv Turner if Wanny gets canned

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 06:55 PM
I think Holmgren has more to do with Hassleback than Zorn does-

I think Farve has more to do with the success of the GB receivers than Sherman

Tatonka
11-28-2003, 06:56 PM
And I'd take these retreads if they became available before Gray, Zorn, Sherman-

i would not want anyone of those names above.. especially the retreads.

Whats wrong with Zorn or Sherman. They have made great progress with little talent. Sherman took Driver and made him into a #1 WR. Walker is now feared around the league and Ferguson isnt a bad #3.

sherman made driver good for one season?? big deal.. and walker is "feared" around the league?? what league are you talking about? does he play basketball or something? look, walker and fergueson are ok, but no one fears them.. they cant even beat the lions. :D

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Why would you want to make a position coach a HC anyway? The only one who ever made the leap with any success was Herman Edwards. Let's see if they can coordinate first- we have a veteran roster loaded with underacheiving talent. I want a proven HC or successful coordinator to get the most out of these guys- not the cheapest alternative out there.

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 06:59 PM
I dont think so. Farve cant make people catch the ball, and his accuracy has been headed downhill for a couple of years now. Hes not the QB he used to be. Hes always knicked up and it effects his play. He plays through it and hes a great QB. His WR are among some of the most athletic in the league and thats alot to do with Sherman. The announcers from FOX yesterday even made some comments about it.

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 07:00 PM
My 4- (No particular order)

Coughlin, Saban, Ferentz, Romeo Crennel (Pats DC),

Originally posted by Tatonka
i would not want anyone of those names above.. especially the retreads.

:D

If given a choice of the retreads or Gray/Zorn/Sherman- I'll take a retread.

Saban is growing on me by the day, Coughlin's stock (who i wanted when he got fired day 1 from Jax) is slowkly declining

DraftBoy
11-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Why would you want to make a position coach a HC anyway? The only one who ever made the leap with any success was Herman Edwards. Let's see if they can coordinate first- we have a veteran roster loaded with underacheiving talent. I want a proven HC or successful coordinator to get the most out of these guys- not the cheapest alternative out there.

I think Gray has proved he can coordinate with the talent provided, we all can agree the D is the lone bright spot this season.

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I dont think so. Farve cant make people catch the ball, and his accuracy has been headed downhill for a couple of years now. Hes not the QB he used to be. Hes always knicked up and it effects his play. He plays through it and hes a great QB. His WR are among some of the most athletic in the league and thats alot to do with Sherman. The announcers from FOX yesterday even made some comments about it.

Coaches can't either. Favre puts the ball right on the number- and has the patience to find the right receiver at the right time.

Sherm did such a great job the past few years, they bought (and sold) Glenn at a loss. Sherm didn't do much with Miss Terry.

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:02 PM

Saban is growing on me by the day,

Ralph would never pay the money it would take to get him.

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:03 PM
It would be interesting to hire one of the Patriot cooridantors. We'd find out what they really think of Bledsoe in New England.

Tatonka
11-28-2003, 07:04 PM
sherman didnt coach them into being athletic..

they are not a feared squad man.. there is no way you can convince me of that..

like dozer said.. why the hell would we want another position coach as a head coach.. i want a guy that knows how to run the sidelines during the game.. not one that punts from the opponents 35 yard line... we dont know if any of these position coaches or coordinators can actually coach a ball game.

The_Philster
11-28-2003, 07:05 PM
I think Gray has proved he can coordinate with the talent provided, we all can agree the D is the lone bright spot this season.

Can he prove it without help from LeBeau? LeBeau might not have been a good head coach (of course with the way Mike Brown ran things, who could? ), but he was always an excellent defensive coordinator.

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 07:05 PM

But we aren't in agreement how it happened- LeBeau was brought to prop the guy up. I don't want to continue the cycle with unproven coaches who need a boatload of help. We have one now

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Can he prove it without help from LeBeau? LeBeau might not have been a good head coach (of course with the way Mike Brown ran things, who could? ),

Marvin Lewis

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Ralph would never pay the money it would take to get him.

Just curious- what makes you say that? Why spend 78 million on roster talent but not a few dimes extra on a coach?

What coach did we ever pursue that turned us down strictly for the cash?

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:12 PM

Just curious- what makes you say that? Why spend 78 million on roster talent but not a few dimes extra on a coach?

What coach did we ever pursue that turned us down strictly for the cash?

What highly sought after coach that would cost big money have we ever pursued. When Marv left we went cheap on Wade. Than the same thing with Greg.
We've always gone cheap on the HC. Maybe he'd dish out the $$$ for Saban but I wouldn't bet on it.

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:13 PM
.........................not to metion Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson and even Marv was a cheap hire when he first came here. Ralph has never gone after the big name....................I doubt he'll change his stripes now

Tatonka
11-28-2003, 07:14 PM
what expensive coaches should we have gone after in that time that would have been better?

i really cant think of any.

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
what expensive coaches should we have gone after in that time that would have been better?

i really cant think of any.

I can't either. Ralph just does not strike me as the type that is going to pay huge $$$$ for a coach. Look how cheap he was trying to not pay Wade the last year of his contract.

Dozerdog
11-28-2003, 07:24 PM
.........................not to metion Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson and even Marv was a cheap hire when he first came here. Ralph has never gone after the big name....................I doubt he'll change his stripes now

You can't even mention those guys- I'll be the first to admit that Ralph was cheap with his coaches in the 1960's, 1970's and early 1980's- but it was a whole different economic ball of wax back then. There was no multi -Billion TV deal, no salary cap- no huge marketing machine, no luxury boxes to sell at $60,000 each- (and don't forget they are all up for renewal this offseason)

I'l bet that he will not allow 1-2 millon to get in between him and the guy he wants. GW wasn't the "cheapest" option- it was the guy who TD wanted- and got. Would you be happier with 5 Million for Spurrier?

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:31 PM

I'l bet that he will not allow 1-2 millon to get in between him and the guy he wants.

I hope so.

Novacane
11-28-2003, 07:34 PM

Would you be happier with 5 Million for Spurrier?

Of course not! Where did that come from? I would never want him to be an Spending fool like Snyder.

The only point I was trying to make was that if Saban really wants to come to the NFL there will be a lot of teams that want him. I don't see Ralph getting in a bidding war for a coach. Geez...........................

The_Philster
11-28-2003, 07:36 PM
Marvin Lewis

From everything I've heard, Mike Brown has turned over a new leaf. He's letting his head coach have more say in things this year. Probably got sick of all the Fire Mike Brown websites

STAMPY
11-28-2003, 07:50 PM
fassil, coughlin, turner, green,lebaeu

justasportsfan
11-28-2003, 08:31 PM

Zorn turned Hasselback into a top NFL QB. Led the NFC is completeion Pct. last year. Yea I also wanted Gray for coach 12 months ago, his performance this season just further proves to me why he should be. Coughlin would be a nice choice but I want somebody younger. Green faltered in Minny, and has been out of football too long for me. If you dont like my ideas give me your top 5.

GW's Titans was the no.1 D and look where it got us. Our D today is where it's at thanks to Lebeau's contribution but it still isn't no.1, so how does Gray get the nod for HC?

Gray stays where he's at if possible but hasn't earned anything to make him a HC. I'll take Cotrell before I take Gray as HC.

Michael82
11-28-2003, 09:45 PM
My Christmas List

1. Tom Coughlin
2. Nick Saban
3. Romeo Crennel (Pats DC)
4. Dennis Green
5. Al Saunders (Chiefs OC)

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-29-2003, 07:44 AM
My top five would look something like this:

1. Lovie Smith
2. Norv Turner
3. Charlie Weiss
4. Jim Mora, Jr
5. Mike McCarthy

Top Ten:
6. Bob Stoops
7. Sean Payton
8. Nick Saban
9. Walt Harris
10. Ted Cotrell

Longshots
Jim Bates
Ed Donatell
Greg Knapp
Jim Johnson (not Jimmy)
Mike Belloti

cordog
11-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
My top five would look something like this:

1. Lovie Smith
2. Norv Turner
3. Charlie Weiss
4. Jim Mora, Jr
5. Mike McCarthy

Top Ten:
6. Bob Stoops
7. Sean Payton
8. Nick Saban
9. Walt Harris
10. Ted Cotrell

Longshots
Jim Bates
Ed Donatell
Greg Knapp
Jim Johnson (not Jimmy)
Mike Belloti

I think Mike Zimmer (Dallas DC) should be on the list

DraftBoy
11-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Would love to get Lovie Smith in here, I completely forgot about him.

Dozerdog
11-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by cordog

Off of what? One year?

Call him in 2-3 seasons. He's a rookie DC

HenryRules
11-29-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that Zimmer has been the DC for 3 seasons in Dallas now ... and each year they've been a top-10 D.

The biggest suprise of the season is not the Cowboys, but why it took this long for Zimmer to get any recognition.

Dozerdog
11-29-2003, 02:02 PM
My bad- i thought he was a fresh face brought in by Parcells- then add him to the list!:up:

IRVING – First, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer earned owner Jerry Jones' trust and a three-year contract extension last year.

Now, he's earned coach Bill Parcells' respect.

Zimmer, one of only four coaches Parcells retained from former coach Dave Campo's staff, is making his new boss look good. Six games into the 2003 season, the Cowboys rank No. 1 in the NFL in total defense.

Zimmer deserves much of the credit.

He has persuaded Parcells to buy into a defensive scheme that uses smaller, faster players than the coach has traditionally used.

"I gotta tell you, I really like Mike," Parcells said. "I probably halfway drove him to the edge a little bit, but I think he's a hard-working, diligent football coach, and he's earned my respect. He wants to win.

"I like guys that are coaches' sons. They get it. His father was a coach; it's important to him. It's his whole life. That's a good thing."

After the 2000 season, Zimmer overhauled the defensive scheme.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/cowboys/stories/102103dnspocowlede.224e04f7.html

TigerJ
11-29-2003, 09:34 PM
My thinking is that Buffalo ought to bring in a guy who's strength is the offence. Leave the defence in the hands of Gray/LeBeau. Charlie Weiss, Al Saunders, Tom Coughlin, Norv Turner would be among my choices. I think Nick Saban is a terrific coach, but he's a defensive guy. He'd likely want to tamper with both sides of the ball. That would mean a longer rebuilding period. I'm pretty impatient right now.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by cordog

Then that wouldn't be MY list.

cordog
11-30-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Then that wouldn't be MY list.

well you can have YOUR list, i dont really care about YOUR list, im just saying, take a look at what that guy is doing.

what are you like a kid who doesnt wanna share?

jbisset
11-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Ralph has a great start to a team here. I hope he will spend $$$$ for a coach. If he wants the super bowl he should. Coaches are more important in today’s game with all the free agents. The coach has to make players become a team quickly in today’s market. You do not have 5 years. There are too many players moving in today’s market. I hope the front office find the right person