X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

What I See Happening in Buffalo 2004

If Coughlin gets picked from the tree before the Bills get a stab at him, then I predict we see a premotion from within.....most likely LeBeau.

LeBeau, while not my optimum choice of coaches, makes the most sense for the position ...or at least from TD's perspective... and he will cause fewer ripples. Premoting LeBeau means a change without the massive restructuring overhaul. TD will want to obviously establish solidarity at the HC position before moving forward with the draft or contract negotiations. Coughlin is going to want to choose who stays and who goes on his coaching staff, and thumb through the roster eliminating some of GW's wonder boys and adding a few of his own. Any new HC is going to want to bring their "people" with them. I'm not altogether sure that TD is going to be ok with that. Donahoe isn't much for giving up control (See Cowher in Pittsburgh) and he most defintilty will not want to restructure what he's created.

With Dick taking the HC job the defense can relatively stay the same with only a few minor adjustments to the pass rush. Donahoe can continue to mandate HIS roster and coaching staff. The offense will need some minor tweeking as well, but I'm certain that TD is VERY confidant in his buddy Gilbride. Donahoe will probably go after another deep threat WR to compliment Moulds and attempt to replicate what the Bills O was doing last season with Price. (If this is the case, I Personally would like to see Northcutt from Cleveland. The Browns have shut down contract negotiations for the time being with Northcutt's agent, but his active participation on the field is not at all being appriciated or rewarded by Butch Davis and the Browns.)
    This of course will be a major mistake seeing that the strength of this Bills O is the run. Gilbride will continue to work his bass-ackwards offense with Drew at the helm for another year.

Bledsoe will also stay, but after he renogatiates his contract (and he will renegotiate). I see the Bills addressing the DE position in the draft first, and I would not at all be suprised to see them take a QB in the second. The 2004 draft is thick at the QB position this year and good talent will fall to the Bills in the 2nd round. A high DE is certain to get a start on this Bills team in game one. OL solidarity also makes sense and could work it's way into one of the top two picks, although I think that TD would rather address that issue in free agency.

Winfield will not be resigned, especially if the Bills fill the DE position with a solid FA. And I'm actually starting to think that he won't be back at all.

Henry and McGahee will be batteling it out for the starting position by mid-season 2004. This means a trade for either player will not happen until McGahee proves his worth.....or doesn't prove his worth, whatever the case may be
    Last edited by RedEyE; 11-29-2003, 06:36 AM.
  • saviorbledsoe
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jul 2003

Very good except for the Gilbride part. He would go before GW but I think they will both be gone.

I agree about Winfield, though I like him there has to be sacrifices under a cap and we have a young talent in McGee.

I would go after a DE in free agency and save the first 3 Rounds of the draft for
    1. OL
    2. Speed Reciever
    3. QB

IMO

Comment

• clumping platelets

We have the cap space to re-sign Winfield AND be active in FA

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Don't get me wrong, I like Winfield and want nothing more than for him to return next season. I just do not see the Bills keeping everyone on the roster and Winfield is the obvious choice to exit first. Just my opinon.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
          Very good except for the Gilbride part. He would go before GW but I think they will both be gone.
          I'd like to believe that, but the reality is that Williams's contract is up for renewal. He will take the fall for this team's performance. Gilbride has only been here 2 seasons and in his first season his crappy O actually worked in a few games. Remember, Gilbride was forced on GW. TD isn't going to admit 2 wrong doings in the same season.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
            We have the cap space to re-sign Winfield AND be active in FA
            What kind of salary do you see him commanding, Clump?

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

I don't understand why everyone put s the Gilbrie hiring solely on TD- when this Buffalo News article states that it was Wishy Washy Williams who made the call.

I think you are off on every assesment except the Bledsoe pay cut and getting the DE position ironed out- either via FA or the draft.

You can keep defensive continuity by just keeping the defensive staff in place. Hiring a first time offensive coach will usually allow you that- allthough I would prefer a coach who picks his own people.

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

there is NO way.. and i mean NO WAY.. that greg williams gets fired and gilbride stays.. sorry.. absolutely NO WAY!!!!
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Let's not forget that there will be a flood of good corners on the market- It's supply & demand- the plentiful market will keep the bidding wars down.

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    I don't understand why everyone put s the Gilbrie hiring solely on TD- when this Buffalo News article states that it was Wishy Washy Williams who made the call.

I think you are off on every assesment except the Bledsoe pay cut and getting the DE position ironed out- either via FA or the draft.

You can keep defensive continuity by just keeping the defensive staff in place. Hiring a first time offensive coach will usually allow you that- allthough I would prefer a coach who picks his own people.
                    If you bring in a new outside HC the entire staff is going to be replaced, and roster changes are going to want to be made. That puts this team back to the starting block. I for one think that TD would rather try and build rather than completely restructure. It makes more sense.

Trust me, I'd rather see Coughlin or Saban here myself. I just don't think that it's going to happen.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                      there is NO way.. and i mean NO WAY.. that greg williams gets fired and gilbride stays.. sorry.. absolutely NO WAY!!!!
                      That remains to be seen....Hell, I'll pack the guys moving van. Again - he's only been B-lo 2 years. I'm just saying that it's highly probable.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Billsology

What kind of salary do you see him commanding, Clump?

His deal will NOT be less than Dre' Bly's deal with the Lions (5yrs-$24.5 million w/ $6.5 million signing bonus). I would foresee 6yrs-$30 million with 2 tiered signing bonus of $8 million

Comment

• G. Host
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
                          Remember, Gilbride was forced on GW. TD isn't going to admit 2 wrong doings in the same season.
                          Gilbride was NOT forced on GW. Gilbride was his #1 choice - GW has said so many times - IF he was available but Gilbride said he wanted to sit out of football and hence GW chose Shepard. After a year Gilbride wanted to coach again.

Those who choose to bash TD continue to repeat this tall tale. Sheppard going was certainly encouraged by TD but GW was not forced to bring in Gilbride.

Blame him for his decisions but not that.

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE

If you bring in a new outside HC the entire staff is going to be replaced, and roster changes are going to want to be made. That puts this team back to the starting block. I for one think that TD would rather try and build rather than completely restructure. It makes more sense.

Trust me, I'd rather see Coughlin or Saban here myself. I just don't think that it's going to happen.
                            Parcells left most of the defensive staff in Dallas in place when he took over ... if our D is as strong as some believe (which i disagree with), there's no reason to believe that the new HC will not leave our defensive staff in place.

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host

Gilbride was NOT forced on GW. Gilbride was his #1 choice - GW has said so many times - IF he was available but Gilbride said he wanted to sit out of football and hence GW chose Shepard. After a year Gilbride wanted to coach again.

Those who choose to bash TD continue to repeat this tall tale. Sheppard going was certainly encouraged by TD but GW was not forced to bring in Gilbride.

Blame him for his decisions but not that.
                              I'm not a TD hater and i'm not bashing his decisions.. It has been the general consesus (up until now) that TD put the squeeze on GW for Gilbride. Hell it's been posted here 30 something times and this is the first time anyone has brought up that it was GW all along. Geez, some of you guys really can't wait to unleash your fury of anger over the season on a simple hypothetical post.

Comment

Working...
                              X