PDA

View Full Version : WNSA- Amature hour & Yellow Journalism

Dozerdog
11-29-2003, 09:08 AM
With the Buffalo Bills and their fans enduring a 4-7 season that started with possible Super Bowl expectations, President and General Manager Tom Donahoe deserves some of the blame and he is rightly getting his fair share of criticism on local talk radio.
But he doesn't deserve having some of his off-the-record conversations being discussed on radio or having some of his on-the-record postgame comments being taken totally out of context. Things have gotten so bad that I called Donahoe to see if he's surprised by the media's behavior.

"Nothing with the media really surprises me," Donahoe said.

It was surprising Monday afternoon to hear WNSA-FM news reader Ricky Jay preface a Donahoe sound bite by saying that the Bills general manager didn't feel he deserved any of the blame for the Bills' season. Then he played a sound bite of Donahoe saying, "It has nothing to do with me, it has to do with the team, the coaches, Mr. Wilson and the fans."

WNSA listeners never heard the question that led to the sound bite. If they had, they would have heard Donahoe responding to a question from Channel 2's Stu Boyar about how disappointed he was, not if he deserved any blame. Jay's packaging was totally misleading, lazy and journalistically unsound.

"I take full responsibility for everything that happens at One Bills Drive," Donahoe told me.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031129/3046371.asp

Dozerdog
11-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Unbeleivable- I understand they are cut to the bone and fighting for survival, but playing audio of people out of context and making up the questions is as low as you go.

They should fire Ricky Jay and replace him with Brian H

LtBillsFan66
11-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Wow! That's low.

G. Host
11-29-2003, 10:26 AM
and I have given up on expecting professionalism in media anymore.

TigerJ
11-29-2003, 04:34 PM
WNSA is on the auction block. I thing WGR's parent corporation is the odds on favorite to win the bidding. If they buy WNSA, they will probably just close the doors. Would it be better if there were only one sports talk station in town?

I agree that Ricky Jay's stunt was a fireable offence.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2003, 09:35 AM
I guess little Rickey is ingesting too much tofu and granola.