PDA

View Full Version : SabreZone.com Fantasy Hockey Update

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Well, we are aboot a quarter of the way into the season, and it looks like you can put the teams into 4 categories.

In the elite league by themselves are the Karate Kids. by the red-belt combo of Chuck & Chuck, these two have ridden Ziggy Palffy and the all or nothing goaltending of Montreal's Thibault and Garon, and Phoenix's Sean Burk. Theodore's 4 shutouts (5 overall) and 17 goalie wins have allowed him to sweep the goaltending categories almost on a weekly basis. While Goal scoring has been average to good- the Kids have been cleaning up in assists and the other minor categories - like powerplay points and +/-.

In the second Tier, these clubs have excelled in specific categories to win a majority of their match ups. They are all within 5 points of each other for 2nd through 5th place

Drury's Revenge- Riding Robert Lang and Sergei Federov, this team has excelled on the power play and received timely short handed points- Weaknes- +/- has been an issue and goaltending sucks. Best hope is that Cujo gets traded somewhere wher ehe can start 2 or more games per week

Clumpy Clump's ( with Bill Guerin & 3 stud goalies) Guerin, Glen Murray, the suprising Mike Knuble, and the recently traded Steve Konowalchuck have guiven this team some scoring punch. His goalie rotation of Eshe (phi) Osgood (StL) and Mikka Nooronen have been providing - 22 wins & 5 SO's Weakness- Not a lot of Penmalty minutes from this line up-

Dozerdogs 12 players ranked in the top 101 players - including Ilya Kovelchuck(leage scoring leader) the top 2 goons (Sean Avery and Chris Simon- 162 mins between them) and league leading G Aeibischer (13 wins). Weakness- Goaltending- after Aebischer's wins- they haven't performed well- with a high GAA and low save %. Has yet to register a short handed point this season.

Buffalo Transplant has received solid efforts from Mark Messier, Pavel Datsyuk. Forsberg has been an animal in games he can stay healthy for- 5 goals, 14 assists in only 11 games. Weakness- Goaltending- 4 headed monster with the best goalie- J Thibault on IR. If he can get him back and clear out the other 3 career back-ups, and keep Forsberg healthy- this could be a tough team.

Tier 3, the

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 05:09 PM
Tier 3 has another group of 6 teams fighting it out- just 8 points seperating 6th through 11th place.

Walts Sabres Has some scoring punch, hurting on the assists. Ok Goaltending

Fennernens Fans Couldn't score if he was the only guy at an all girl's school dance. Lecavillier with 9 goals, has 4 more than his second best player. OK on assists, only 2 SHP's, and no goal scoring = no game wining goals. Very strong in net

Fat Pansies Good balance in scoring, has league leader Naslund in +/-. Power play is sub par- and has terrible goalies. Has gone an interesting route wiht the roster- jettisoning his 4th defenceman for more offence.

Spork Wielders Recovered nicely from the opening week 0-10-1 drubbing. 2 solid goalies (Weeks-Dunham) have given him 5 shutouts and 33 starts - but only 11 wins. Very good +/- and can score shorthanded- but the power play is lacking.

Cheektowaga Bobcats Solid netminders in Lalime & Biron , but only 1 shutout and a low save %. Can score both on the power play and shorthanded. +/- on this team stinks. Has league scoring leader Alex Tanguay providing 23 assists .

Power Rankings Nice assortment of offence- not household names (like Nagy, Morrison, Shane Doan) but effective.
Good goaltending as well- Powerplay and SHP's are near the bottonm though. Outside Owan Nolan- no tough guys either. Softies coudn't muscle a bingo dabber out of the hands of the elderly at Our Lady of the Decrepid

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 05:34 PM
the rest to come- filling pie hole with leftover turkey

Myers57
11-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Spork Wielders are on the rise!

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Now for the dregs of the league- if they were dogs, they would be a hot lunch in chinatown by now-

12 Sabre Ally 31-34-12 .481 74
Wishes she never heard of Marty Turco

13 The Spaz 30-36-11 .461 71
Has made more moves than the Philster on Aimee and the Jills. Just as successful too- can you say "WHIFFFF!"

14 the not gay team 23-34-20 .429 66
Needs "Queer eye for the hockey guy"

15 Zamboni Kings 25-37-15 .422 65
Say a prayer- was involved in a motor vehicle accident this week- a little busted up but will be OK- Did I mention it was a Zamboni accident?

16 Kagaku Ninja Tai 24-36-17 .422 65
Can't score, can't play defense- can't win

17 Michigan Wolverines 27-40-10 .416 64
Daniel Briere only bright spot. Hopes Jagr Trade rumors with Rangers are more than just rumors & sparks his slumbering superstar

18 Hit The Ice 24-39-14 .403 62
On paper this looks like a decent team- goalies can't buy a win. Hit the Ice should hit the road. The Buffalo Bills of Fantasy Hockey

19 stunning sabres 22-42-13 .370 57
When Thomas Vokun is your "stud" time to :puke:

20 YLEs Ice Pirates 22-42-13 .370 57
Gerber/ Guiguerre combo killed him with a slow start- Does have one of the best defenses in the FHL. No where to go but up!:up:

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Top players for the month - Forwards/D

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Top stoppers

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Top minor leagures-

Got a hole on your team? Give these boys a call up!

Top overall players-

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Top Defensemen

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Top remaining Goalies - these are sorted by appearances- not by overall rank-

Keep your eyes peeled - If a Telqvist gets dealt, or an injury occurs, or a team overloaded with goaltending (AHEM- *Cough* Sabres* Cough*) makes a deal- look for the kids (like Miller) who will be called up. Injuries will also dictate if a goalie from nowhere comes up.

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Last but not least- the stars of "Don Cherry'sRockem Sock'em 15 -" makes a great stocking stuffer- buy it whil supplies last - makes a great gift for the young'ns learning the game-

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/cherry6-1.jpg

The top available pretty boys-

Don Cherry
11-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Tonights Fantasy Hockey tip-

Just because you have 4 roster spots for defencemen- doesn't mean you have to carry four blueliners on the club.

Look at the guys you have. If you are carrying a defenceman who's ranked 400 overall- wouldn't you be better served dumping him for a forward that's ranked 150-200 or excells in an area in which your team sucks (PIM's, +/-, ect) Yeah, on a Saturday when your entire roster is playing and ya might have to sit a few it might hurt, but the other 6 days during the week you can maximize your opportunities .

Who would you rather have on the roster, Martin Ruscinsky of the Rangers- Ranked in the top 50 for last month, or Kenny Jonsson-D who's got 2 assists, and is ranked #581 overall?

Fat Pansies jettisoned one of their D's for an extra attacker earlier this year- and so did the Dozerdogs briefly. Fat Pansies have pushed their club into the top half of the rankings.

Sabre Ally
11-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Don Cherry
the rest to come- filling pie hole with leftover turkey

:lol:

BTW, Turco is on the upswing and there's a lot of hockey still to be played. I'll catch up.

Sabre Ally
11-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Don Cherry

Who would you rather have on the roster, Martin Ruscinsky of the Rangers- Ranked in the top 50 for last month, or Kenny Jonsson-D who's got 2 assists, and is ranked #581 overall?

Hey!!! I just realized whose team Kenny is on. :rofl:
I like Kenny. :sadwalk:
But, that's ok. He's gone now. :D

chubluv
11-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Hey my team(hit the ice) looks good on paper. Yeah for me!!!
My team is falling faster then a gregg williams approval rating..
And yes there is still some of you out there supporting him dont be shy come on out so we can blast you. lol

The Spaz
11-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Laugh at me now but my team is just coming togethter!:snicker:

yle
11-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Laugh at me now but my team is just coming togethter!:snicker:

Mine too. :rolleyes:

JD
11-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Don, do you get payed for this? I mean this must take forever to do!

The Spaz
11-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by yledust

Mine too. :rolleyes:

My team isn't in last.:snicker:J/K:beer:

Dozerdog
11-30-2003, 09:44 PM

....yet :snicker:

The Spaz
11-30-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

....yet :snicker:

Won't happen but your team seems to be slipping!:snicker::beer::)

Myers57
12-01-2003, 05:41 AM
Spork Wielders steal the show and jump up an amazing 5 places to secure their place with the top teams!

JD
12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
......nice name!

Myers57
12-01-2003, 06:01 PM
One of the users over at Thunderpuck had a team called the spork wielding koala army and i liked the name so much that i decided to make a revised version of it...

:lol:

yle
12-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Neither is mine.

Dozerdog
12-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Sporkies tossin' a shutout thisa week.

clumping platelets
12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by chubluv
Hey my team(hit the ice) looks good on paper. Yeah for me!!!
My team is falling faster then a gregg williams approval rating..
And yes there is still some of you out there supporting him dont be shy come on out so we can blast you. lol

:ontome:

Myers57
12-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Sporkies tossin' a shutout thisa week.

Yea, thats because I had no players playing yesterday...

It's a long week Fennernen!

clumping platelets
12-02-2003, 10:41 AM
My waiver additions have worked out well!! :)

Especially Esche

Now I must beat the karate kids :boring:

yle
12-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
My waiver additions have worked out well!! :)

Especially Esche

Now I must beat the karate kids :boring:

You didn't get Esche off waivers. I traded you him for Gerber. Those lab chemicals must finally be getting to ya.

clumping platelets
12-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Then it must have been Noronen :huh:

:confused:

clumping platelets
12-02-2003, 12:20 PM
BTW: Thanks ;)

yle
12-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
BTW: Thanks ;)

No, thank YOU!! Gerber has been putting up better numbers than Giguere.