PDA

View Full Version : My new candidate for head coach

Sabre Ally
11-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Solich fired as coach of Nebraska football team

By ERIC OLSON, Associated Press Writer
November 30, 2003

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- Nebraska football coach Frank Solich was fired Saturday night after winning more than 75 percent of his games over six seasons but failing to keep the Cornhuskers as the national powerhouse they were under Tom Osborne.

More (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-nebraska-solichfired&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Ok, slam me all you want, but he can't be worse than Gr-Egghead. Winning 75% of our games would make us a playoff team. Nebraska didn't give him much of a chance to institute his own system. All the old coaches retired at the same time and he was stuck with new guys who were clueless. The defense turned it around this season and looked like the old blackshirts. They won 9 games, and he still got fired. :mad:

shelby
11-30-2003, 08:14 AM
The burning question is....what type of system does he want to implement? It seems obvious that we need an overhaul of the offense we run now.
;)

Dozerdog
11-30-2003, 08:18 AM
If we played Kansas and Iowa St every year we could win 75% of the games- (I think)

Nebraska has 2 requirements- Beat Oklahoma, Beat everyone else

saviorbledsoe
11-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Do you really want a 1rst year NFL head coach again???? I think with this excellant team that we have (and they are excellant) that we need an experienced NFL coach ala Bill Parcells. God I would love to see Marv Levy come back. We need a motivator and an offensive coordinator and IMO we are Superbowl Champions next year.

Sabre Ally
11-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by shelby
The burning question is....what type of system does he want to implement? It seems obvious that we need an overhaul of the offense we run now.
;)

Well, he played fullback, so at least he would want to run the damn ball, unlike the goofs we have now. The defensive improvements were all made by Pelini.

I'm not really saying I want him to coach the Bills though, that was kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Dozer, it's not quite so simple as that in the Big 12....Texas, Texas A&M, Kansas State, and even Colorado typically have very good teams. Once in awhile one of the other schools will put in a good season too. About the only one you can count on completely sucking every year is Baylor.

TigerJ
11-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Isn't the Nebraska offence stuck in the middle ages? No offence but I think NFL defences wouldn't have much trouble shutting down Nebraska's system.

Sabre Ally
11-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Isn't the Nebraska offence stuck in the middle ages? No offence but I think NFL defences wouldn't have much trouble shutting down Nebraska's system.

Not like it used to be. They've been running (or attempting to run) a more balanced offensive system since Solich took over. Unfortunately, with their option-happy history, they haven't been able to recruit a QB with any kind of passing ability.