PDA

View Full Version : Haslett has an escape clause?

Dozerdog
11-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Out clause could put Haslett on Bills' radar
By MARK GAUGHAN

11/30/2003

It's way too early to call him a candidate, but an unusual set of circumstances could put New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett in position to consider becoming head coach of the Buffalo Bills after this season.
The former Bills linebacking great is in his fourth year as head coach of the Saints and is under contract through the 2006 season. Haslett makes about $3 million a year, and there's virtually no way Saints owner Tom Benson would buy out the final three years of the contract, even if the Saints collapse down the stretch. New Orleans stands 5-6 entering today's game at Washington.

So how might Haslett become available? Sources in New Orleans report that when Haslett signed his contract extension in August 2002, he put an "out" clause in the deal that allows him to leave for just one other head coaching job in the NFL. The job is believed to be head coach of the Bills.

Haslett is very close friends with Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe, dating to their time spent together with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Haslett's wife, Beth, is a Western New York native. ...more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031130/11055627.asp)

saviorbledsoe
11-30-2003, 09:15 AM
LOVE IT!!! I d take him in heartbeat! A motivator!

Jan Reimers
11-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Love it, too. He's a young guy with Bills roots who could get something out of this talent.

Typ0
11-30-2003, 10:31 AM
this is awesome. I would love to see this happen.

Dozerdog
11-30-2003, 10:34 AM
It could get tricky

Even with the out clause, he's still a coach under contract- thus no team can talk to him without permission- even the Bills. Otherwise they would be up on tampering charges. If the Saints do make the playoffs (at 5-6 they still are in the thick of it in the NFC) then not only will the Saints ownership not want him to leave, they will make it difficult to talk to him.

Also, the Bills along with a half other dozen teams will fire their coach within a week of the end of the season. That's 6 competing teams who will be fighting it out over some of the same candidates. Some of these teams wil act fast to get their man.

Can the Bills afford to wait until New Orleans is eliminated? Can the Bills afford to wait to see if Benson will allow talks? Benson might stall or deny permission, forcing the Bills to move on to secure a coach before the good candidates dry up. Unless Haslett is the one to take the initiative and excersize the clause, the Bills may be forced to pass.

I also don't think Haslett is worth giving up compensation for. Unless Benson has LSU HC Nick Saban lined up , I don't see the odds of Haslett coming here very high.

However- I beleive he would keep LeBeau on - they worked together in Pittsburgh under TD

The Spaz
11-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Listen I love the fact that he was a former Buffalo Bills but his teams have done jack *****

cordog
11-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Listen I love the fact that he was a former Buffalo Bills but his teams have done jack *****

Hes had to deal with alot of off the field problems in New Orleans with his players. Between them stealing from eachother, sleeping with eachothers wives and claiming a players kid was another teammates, he couldnt coach football, he had to deal with all this bull*****.

Historian
11-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Agreed....I wanted Haslett since he was a DC. The guy is a great coach who gets the most out of those who want to compete.

First he'll get rid of the dead wood, then he'll kick some buts in gear!

SABURZFAN
11-30-2003, 03:45 PM
i wouldn't mind having haslett as a HC.i wouldn't give up draft picks for him though.

HAMMER
12-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Are you talking about the same Jim Haslett who's teams have collapsed down the stretch the last three years or so? A Motivator? Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Historian
12-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by HAMMER
Are you talking about the same Jim Haslett who's teams have collapsed down the stretch the last three years or so? A Motivator? Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Anyone who even attempts to Coach the Aints deserves a medal....

LtBillsFan66
12-02-2003, 08:22 AM
What has he done in New Orleans to get you all so excited?

justasportsfan
12-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Billsology
Agreed....I wanted Haslett since he was a DC. The guy is a great coach who gets the most out of those who want to compete.

First he'll get rid of the dead wood, then he'll kick some buts in gear!

the Saints are supposedly the most talented team in their division and yet they aren't dominating. Kinda sounds like the bills. Is Haslett another Greg Williams? :idunno:

I wouldn't be surprised if his buddy TD brings him in next year.

LtBillsFan66
12-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
the Saints are supposedly the most talented team in their division and yet they aren't dominating. Kinda sounds like the bills. Is Haslett another Greg Williams? :idunno:

I wouldn't be surprised if his buddy TD brings him in next year.

That's why I don't get all this excitement.

We need a proven head coach!

justasportsfan
12-02-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

That's why I don't get all this excitement.

We need a proven head coach!

Don't get me wrong. I would take Haslett over GW any day but I don't think Haslett is in the same league as Parcells and Bellichick.

LtBillsFan66
12-02-2003, 08:39 AM
He's mediocre.

The Spaz
12-02-2003, 08:41 AM
F* Gregg Williams man am I sick of him and his crew the season needs to end and fire his a$$ promptly!:mad:

ryven
12-02-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Don't get me wrong. I would take Haslett over GW any day but I don't think Haslett is in the same league as Parcells and Bellichick.

I dont know to many coaches that are in there league and hasselett seems to be just as good as any of the other choices out there except for the college coaches and thats only because I know nothing about them so I wont rate them. That and anybody is better than GW.

justasportsfan
12-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by ryven

I dont know to many coaches that are in there league and hasselett seems to be just as good as any of the other choices out there except for the college coaches and thats only because I know nothing about them so I wont rate them. That and anybody is better than GW.

I wouldn't even put Haslett in the same league as Fisher, Mariucci, Cowher (even though his team sucks right now).

Haslett is still an unproven coach after all these years. I would even think Coghlin has achieved more ,especially with an expansion team.

Moulds80
12-02-2003, 10:38 AM
I can't believe no one is rooting for Coughlin to come up here and don some Bills attire. They guy took an expansion team to the 95 AFC Championship, listen, I believe Coughlin could come in here and make something of this team. He is a leader, a motivator and has actually done something with Jacksonville, unlike Haslett that hasn't done squat with The Aints. Coughlin is my #1 guy to come in and coach the Bills....as Charles Barkley said while pushing deoderant....."Anything else would be uncivilized"

justasportsfan
12-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Moulds80
I can't believe no one is rooting for Coughlin to come up here and don some Bills attire. They guy took an expansion team to the 95 AFC Championship, listen, I believe Coughlin could come in here and make something of this team. He is a leader, a motivator and has actually done something with Jacksonville, unlike Haslett that hasn't done squat with The Aints. Coughlin is my #1 guy to come in and coach the Bills....as Charles Barkley said while pushing deoderant....."Anything else would be uncivilized"

It's not that no one is not pullig for him. His powerhungry attitude wouldn't sit well w/ TD which makes me doubt he will be here next year.

ublinkwescore
12-02-2003, 12:23 PM
What has haslett done?

Let's see, he's swept the Rams the year they won the superbowl, He's swept the Bucs last year. You gotta remember he did this with a talented team (for the most part), but he also did it with perhaps the most immature team in the league - I think if he came to Buffalo (probably one of the more mature teams in the league - definitely not as low as the saints, Giants, or the Bucs during the Keyshawn era) he'd iron out the wrinkles, and hire a proven OC.

TedMock
12-02-2003, 01:54 PM
It just seems as though his team has done nothing but underachieve. You are right, they did play the Rams and Bucs well. Maybe you're right about the maturity part too. I just don't trust it. I think it'd be great having an ex-bill/ fan favorite here (he was my favorite player as a child) but the pick scares me. I'd love to see Coughlin here but I don't think we get him over a big market team. If the Giants and a couple of other big market teams don't go after him we might have a shot, otherwise I don't think we can afford him. I hate to say it but a lot of these guys want more spotlight than Buffalo can offer. The intriguing part about the Bills will be the fact that the talent is in place. If a coach's philosophy fits our talents and can see quick success that could pull them in.

Historian
12-02-2003, 02:21 PM
His team sure didn't underachieve when they played here in the 2001 opener...they spanked us 24-6!

TedMock
12-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
His team sure didn't underachieve when they played here in the 2001 opener...they spanked us 24-6!

Everybody spanked us in 2001!

cordog
12-02-2003, 04:14 PM
The saints being an immature team is an understatement. These guys were running around sleeping withe eachothers wives, and claiming a teammate's child is really someone elses. Plus this team is in New Orleans. Anyone who has been there knows that is a big enough problem in itself