PDA

View Full Version : The officiating in the Bills/Giants game...

OpIv37
11-30-2003, 03:47 PM
was horrible. The 15-yarder on the hit on Bledsoe was correct but the one called on the Giants for hitting the tight end was BS. The Bills were called for holding too often, while I saw the Giants hook Bills players several times and get away with it.

And what the hell happened on the facemask call against the Bills earily in the 1st quarter? It was the right call, but why did it take the refs 10 minutes to figure out the down and the yardage? That is inexcusable.

Jeff1220
11-30-2003, 04:35 PM
The play where Moulds got hit and was ruled down by contact was a disaster too. I don't think any of the refs even saw what happened on that play. If they ruled that the DB covering Moulds made contact with him, making him down by contact, then they should've penalized the Giants for late hit/unnecessary roughness. If the ruled that he was not down by contact, it should've been a fumble - Giant's ball. However, I think the correct call would be - and I'm still unsure of what the actual ruling was (other than he was down and no fumble) - is that, since Moulds was on the ground, as soon as contact was made by the defender who came in with the hit, he was down, leaving no possibility of a fumble.

OpIv37
11-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Yeah I think that should have been the correct call too- the fact that the game's long over and no one knows what the call even was is testament to how bad the officials were.

Fortunately, Buffalo played well enough that the bad calls weren't the difference in the game. When is the NFL going to step up and make the zebras perform?

mybills
11-30-2003, 04:43 PM
I have to agree with you Jeff. And what about the uneccesary roughness against the Giants in the 2nd QT that gave the Bills the ball on the 13th yd line? He didn't even have the ball in his hands. :scratch:

SABURZFAN
11-30-2003, 04:43 PM
i hate the refs.:mad:

Turf
11-30-2003, 06:00 PM
From an objective point of view, it was one of the worst referee crews I ever saw.
Start of the game, after the 5 yard facemask, 1st and 1????
What the hell was that all about.
They gave them the yardage on the play, tacked on 5 yards, it was 2nd and 2 or so. Then they didn't get the first , it was third and 1. After 5 minutes of this incoherent bunch talking, they made it second and 1 after saying it was first and 1.
First and one???
They cannot give them the yardage on the play, tack on 5 yards, then give them the down over. The play counted, the down counted, 5 yards are added to the end of the run, it's 2nd down. That simple.
These bozos gave them the yardage of the play, tacked on 5 yards, then replayed the down. I've been watching football 7000 years or so, and a 5 yard facemask penalty does not replay the down, and the yardage is simply added on to the end of the play.

mybills
11-30-2003, 06:12 PM
7000 years or so....

:rofl: :up:

helmetguy
11-30-2003, 07:36 PM
I had trepidations about the game (more than the usual ones lately, that is) as soon as I saw that Corollo's crew was doing the game. It's always a fiasco with that crew. Thankfully....WE OVERCAME!!!!

LtBillsFan66
11-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Thankfully we benefited from most of them.

helmetguy
11-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Thankfully we benefited from most of them.

Yeah! We DID get a couple of breaks...FINALLY!!! Seems that, when things are going bad, those schmutzes pound salt into the wounds!

TigerJ
11-30-2003, 10:37 PM
"schmutzes"

LOL

helmetguy
11-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
"schmutzes"

LOL

It's what you get when you cross a putz with a schmuck. They can do that now. Miracles of modern science!

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
The play where Moulds got hit and was ruled down by contact was a disaster too. I don't think any of the refs even saw what happened on that play. If they ruled that the DB covering Moulds made contact with him, making him down by contact, then they should've penalized the Giants for late hit/unnecessary roughness. If the ruled that he was not down by contact, it should've been a fumble - Giant's ball. However, I think the correct call would be - and I'm still unsure of what the actual ruling was (other than he was down and no fumble) - is that, since Moulds was on the ground, as soon as contact was made by the defender who came in with the hit, he was down, leaving no possibility of a fumble.

I disagree. If he was not down by contact, both his knees were on the ground- thus the instant contact is made- he's down-regardless if the ball is jarred loose. Maybe- it would be a fumble if he hit nothing but ball.

The odd thing was- Moulds was just about to flick the ball onto the turf anyways- thinking he was down. Had the defender waited a second longer he wouldn't have had to knock it loose....it would be just sitting htere.

I'll give the refs a break on that one. It was tough to determine if he was hit or not on the catch- and then they compounded the situation by not blowing the whistle quick enough. The DB did what he was supposed to do- he didn'thear a whistle so he hit Moulds. it would be something else if it was a vicious hit - then you could call one of those "defenseless receiver" calls.

Jeff1220
12-01-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

I disagree. If he was not down by contact, both his knees were on the ground- thus the instant contact is made- he's down-regardless if the ball is jarred loose. Maybe- it would be a fumble if he hit nothing but ball.

The odd thing was- Moulds was just about to flick the ball onto the turf anyways- thinking he was down. Had the defender waited a second longer he wouldn't have had to knock it loose....it would be just sitting htere.

I'll give the refs a break on that one. It was tough to determine if he was hit or not on the catch- and then they compounded the situation by not blowing the whistle quick enough. The DB did what he was supposed to do- he didn'thear a whistle so he hit Moulds. it would be something else if it was a vicious hit - then you could call one of those "defenseless receiver" calls.

What do you disagree with? Your first statement is pretty much the same as my last one.

Historian
12-01-2003, 07:25 AM
I actually thought the Bills benefitted from the calls yesterday.

Talk about dirty play from the Giants.