PDA

View Full Version : Rian Lindell

RedEyE
11-30-2003, 11:39 PM
What's the general consensus on this guy?

While perfect in the 30 yard range, Rian missed one easy 20 yarder against the Texans. In the 40 - 49 yard range he's 3 - 6, and although he's only attempted 2 kicks from 50 yards this season, he missed both.

Offense has been rare this year so perhaps with more time, and more offensive movement, he could prove better. However, if I had to make an assesment now, I would have no problem saying that Lindell is a step down from Hollis.

Any feedback?

Tatonka
11-30-2003, 11:42 PM
i am indifferent on him really..

i expect him to make all his kicks, but then if he misses.. i dont feel surprised.. if that makes any sense.

BillsFever
11-30-2003, 11:44 PM
The jury is still out on him. He can go on hot and cold streaks. That's what he did in Seattle.

ryven
12-01-2003, 11:28 AM
I will wait til next year to make my decision on him. He is decent though has not played well lately, but I will give him one more season before I make that judgement.

R. Rich
12-01-2003, 01:09 PM
It's hard to really judge him, since we haven't been in many situations where he's been needed to win the game for us. Seems par for the course so far; wasn't the book on this guy that he could kick it longer than Hollis but was less accurate?

Jan Reimers
12-01-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm disappointed that he can't get the ball into the end zone on his kickoffs. I thought that was why we got him.

caveboy
12-01-2003, 03:43 PM
I don't like him to handle our KO duties, more than the long-range FG problem. He's just not getting us touchbacks. Our coverage is good on punts on kick-offs, but when Moorman punts, we always pin teams to little or no gain deep. With Lindell, because he isn't sending it far, they start from their own 30-35 constantly.

BAM
12-01-2003, 03:53 PM
let Moorman do kickoffs and FG's. Lindell is a bum.

Billsouth
12-01-2003, 07:34 PM
was it extremely windy yesterday? he was 5-10 yards short on his 51 yard attempt yesterday. i am concerned about his leg strength

HenryRules
12-01-2003, 07:37 PM
The days of consistently getting touchbacks on kickoffs are over, unless you're Sebastien Janikowski.

caveboy
12-02-2003, 08:34 AM
"The days of consistently getting touchbacks on kickoffs are over, unless you're Sebastien Janikowski."

Maybe, but I'll settle for at least one a game. And if it were just his KO's that were a problem, I could give him a pass. But he has not hit a FG over 44 yards and is 13/18 to this point, I'd say his leg strength is the big problem.

eddiehaskill
12-02-2003, 08:57 AM
All I know is that in Madden 2004 Moorman puts them in the end zone every time. We should give him a shot. I know that they must have tried him out but with this coachign squad maybe they refuse to gve him a chance because they'll hurt Lindells feelings

HenryRules
12-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by caveboy
"The days of consistently getting touchbacks on kickoffs are over, unless you're Sebastien Janikowski."

Maybe, but I'll settle for at least one a game. And if it were just his KO's that were a problem, I could give him a pass. But he has not hit a FG over 44 yards and is 13/18 to this point, I'd say his leg strength is the big problem.

Does anyone average one touchback a game? Ever since the league moved the kickoffs back, I think one every other game has been good enough for top-10 in touchbacks.

His kicking has hit a bit of a wall right now and I think that he cost us one game this season, but for the first 8 games, I thought he played like the 10-15th best kicker in the league.

Right now, Lindell is just like most of the rest of the team ... good enough if not relied upon for anything special, but when needed to win a game by himself (not nec. in the last minute), we're in trouble.

Historian
12-03-2003, 07:12 AM
The winds at this stadium are really tricky, even in September sometimes. I've seen a lot of Pro Bowl calibre kickers come in here and have their career worst games, I m going to withold judgement right now.

How long is he signed for?

caveboy
12-03-2003, 08:26 AM
"His kicking has hit a bit of a wall right now and I think that he cost us one game this season, but for the first 8 games, I thought he played like the 10-15th best kicker in the league."

But he's not 10-15th now. 16th in the AFC and 31st in the league. He averages 60 yards on his KO's with at least a net 20 yard return average for opponents. (And I think we've all had enough of kickers costing the Bills games.)

;-]

My problem with him is the deep kicking more than the FGs. If our O was firing on all cyclinders, then screw the 3 points, I'll take TDs. But he's only a career 7 of 14 on kick's over 50 yards, longest is 54. Yes I'll factor in winds on FGs. But kicking deep cconsistantly for touchbacks should be the goal/norm, not the exception.

Interesting note: Lindell's had 3 touchbacks in four years in the league, Janikowski's had 55 in the same time period. (Both are about 50% on FGs over 5o yards, so that's a wash. )

Bigger point is, this was a serious off-season issue that TD needed to address and I don't think he's done it yet with the signing of Lindell.

The_Philster
12-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
How long is he signed for?

four-year, $4.2 million deal signed on March 25

HenryRules
12-03-2003, 08:56 PM

Interesting note: Lindell's had 3 touchbacks in four years in the league, Janikowski's had 55 in the same time period. (Both are about 50% on FGs over 5o yards, so that's a wash. )

That is an interesting note. However, what's interesting about it is that it isn't true. I remember 3 TB's from this year alone ... and looking at nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/195697), he's had 3 tb's this year and 10 in his career.

HenryRules
12-03-2003, 09:03 PM

But he's not 10-15th now. 16th in the AFC and 31st in the league. He averages 60 yards on his KO's with at least a net 20 yard return average for opponents. (And I think we've all had enough of kickers costing the Bills games.)

According to what is he 31st in the league?

He's about 18th in KO length (unless you include people like Joe Nedney who has only had one KO). Considering his low return average (no one with a longer average kickoff has a lower return average) ... I'd say he's about 10-15th best in the league in kickoffs.

His field goal ranking is skewed by the disproportionate # of long field goals he's had to kick (almost half of his attempts are from 40+ yards whereas for someone like Vanderjagt, it's only a third).

But he's pretty automatic (save for one costly miss) from inside the 40, which is what I consider most important. Again, I'd say he's acting like the 10th-15th best in field goals as well.