PDA

View Full Version : Dumb and Dumber did what they should've been doing all year

caveboy
12-01-2003, 08:10 AM
GREAT WIN. The team did two things that were missing all year, which proves that D&D have no clue in how to call a consistant game.

1) Ball control by running thorughout, but specifically, in the 4th! We owned that quarter. Yes it was AVP, and maybe they were afraid of letting him throw(?), but that eating up the clock was something almost every team has done to us this year, yet we haven't until now.

It also shows that with a strong committment to the running game, you don't need to depend on Bledsoe all the time to bail you out.

2) Blitz/pressure. While the Giants O-line looked like the Bills' at times, we kept up pressure on Mary Collins all day. Something other teams have done to Bledsoe constantly. Even when the Gisants scored, we still kept at it.

We still are giving up a few too many 3rd-down conversions to teams, but increased pressure did its job.

Great to see these two things, but where has this been all year? Not to worry though. Next week, we'll be back our old ways and D&D 2 – When KG met GW.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by caveboy
GREAT WIN. The team did two things that were missing all year, which proves that D&D have no clue in how to call a consistant game.

1) Ball control by running thorughout, but specifically, in the 4th! We owned that quarter. Yes it was AVP, and maybe they were afraid of letting him throw(?), but that eating up the clock was something almost every team has done to us this year, yet we haven't until now.

It also shows that with a strong committment to the running game, you don't need to depend on Bledsoe all the time to bail you out.

Actually if you go through the plays in the first half the Bills threw more than double the times they ran the ball. The ball control came when the team had a big lead.

caveboy
12-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Yep. That 4th quarter is what I'm referring to. It was nice to see the run as the focal point for large portion of the drives. I want to see that committment earlier in games though. With KG, it seems running is an afterthought to set up the pass.

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 11:05 AM
The run total was inflated by the last drive- 10 straight runs to kill off the clock

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 11:14 AM
I also didn't think the playcalling changed at all.

I'm been screaming run all year, but when playing a team with banged up corners, you pass the ball. and if the pass is working, stick with it.

Throne Logic
12-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Sorry, Caveboy, I cannot agree that they called a good game. The same problems existed as in other games. The difference here was that the Giants have already booked reservations for the post-season and were there at the stadium only to fulfill their contractual obligations. The Giants were flat and disheartened for the majority of this game.

Bledsoe was forced to throw out of predictible formations and the running game was supported by lead blockers wearing numbers in the 80's. Many of Bledsoe's passes were off the mark and/or forced. These would have most likely been picked off by better defenses. As stated by others, the running game was still underused until that last drive when Van Pelt was in charge. Gilbride doesn't really trust AVP so he ran it more.

Don't let the on paper stats fool you. This is how we were duped into thinking this was a good team after Week #2. If you go back and watch the games you'll see that Buffalo was doing pretty much the same things. Only, at that time, they faced a Pat's team that had just had the rug pulled out from under them (they'd have lost to anyone that week); then a Jag's team that was completely confused (they've improved a lot since September).

I was still completely frustrated watching this game, despite the score.

caveboy
12-01-2003, 01:35 PM
"I cannot agree that they called a good game."

lemmee clear sometin' up for the record, ;-)

Never said they called a good game. Only said that two things we haven't done as a team were done yesterday, and need to be done MORE (use the blitz and start running more). KG/GW's failue to do so is what has plagued this team to this point by focusing only on the passing game. KG called the same predictable game he always does. (I love the extra running, but geez, lose the draw out of the shotgun play, will ya'????)

Credit for the win as a team, lest anyone say all I may do is be critical, not to KG specifically. My point was about the 4th quarter and how effective we can be as a team when we decide to run it as our main weapon. The team also looked better than it might have if only the Giants had decided to tackle.

AVP highlighted something though that I complain about a lot, which is that you don't need a great QB to run this O. Handing off to Henry doesn't take brains, but it's as if KG/GW think that because Drew's in there, we have to justify signing him by using a pass-heavy attack all the time.

Having said that, Drew still held onto it too long - again. If it's part-coverage sacks/part-RJ-syndrome, then WRs need to run shorter routes. I've screamed about them running more screens, yet Drew had zero touch in the short game yesterday even when they did.

Centers made him look a lot better in that respect last year, and now that outlet (along with Price) is gone. Shaw and Reed are good, don't get me wrong, but right now, Henry's the only one I see out in the flats waving his arms like Tom Hanks trying to get the ship's attention in Castaway. Yet Drew looked him off how many times in favor of deeper covered WRs?

If anything, that 4th quarter should have showed KG that we have another way to win games that doesn't include trying to throw the ball every down. Perhaps we can start 1st quarters off with sustained running drives rather than the big play downfield? Haven't they learned that by now? Prior to yesterday, they are throwing way too much and not succeeding.

After one quarter, we had no points with a pass-oriented attack - again. (I just think it's better when the pass struggles to run the ball and gain 3+ each down instead of 3-and-outs?)

"This is how we were duped into thinking this was a good team"

Agree. I don't think we are good on a consistant level. It's frustrating because we had the talent last year to go to the next level, but have regressed this year. We were 8-8 looking at a few tweeks on the way to 10-6.

What the F happened? Biggest problem IMO is that KG thought he could plug ANY players into his system and make it go. Losing Centers and Price hurt more they have said.

"and if the pass is working, stick with it."

Pass isn't consistant though for us. Moulds as a deep threat is non-exsistant from what I'm seeing.