PDA

View Full Version : How we can make the playoffs!

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 09:59 AM
I posted this in another thread, thought I should give it its own. Just in case some of you wanted to know what we need. It's not in the most detail, but the following would get us into the playoffs.

What we need.

CIN – 9-7
At Balt – L
SF – W
At Stl – L
Cle – W

Bal – 10-6
Cin – W
At Oak – L
At Cle – W
Pit – W

Buf – 9-7 (4-2 division)
NYJ – Win
At Ten – Win
Mia – Win
At NE – Win

Mia – 9-7 (3-3 division)
At NE – L
Phi – L
At Buf – L
NYJ – W

Hou – 6-8
At J-ville – W
At TB – L
Ten - L
Ind – L

Den – 8-8
KC – L
Cle – W
At Ind – L
At GB – L

Again, It’s not yet at the point where it’s beyond the realm of possibility. If we had just won on of the last 3 games, we’d be in great shape. We really need Miami and Denver to take a dump. We could still possibly sneak in if Denver finishes 2-2, but we need Miami to finish 1-3. Both teams have a tough final 4.

The most improbable think would be us finishing 4-0. It will be tough to win in Tennessee and New England.

The perfect week 14 would be as follows

NE over Miami
KC over Denver
Baltimore over Cincinnati
Buffalo over NY Jets.

Not that all of this needs to happen, this just represents the perfect situation.

If that were to happen and we could somehow beat Tennessee and Philly can go down to Miami and win, we’d actually go from being out of it, to being in great shape. We could be a week 16 win over Miami away from having a win and in situation against New England in week 17.

It doesn’t look great now, but a lot could chance if we win the next 2.

Valerie
12-01-2003, 10:05 AM
What have you been smoking over the long weekend? It's obviously affected your brain! lol I really don't see that happening, Patrick. I think the Bills got lucky yesterday. The Giants are playing for a draft pick and they don't care anymore. No way do the Bills make the playoffs.

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks J!

I didn’t think I need this disclaimer this time.

This is for informational use only. I don’t see it happening, but seeing as how this is a website dedicated to the Buffalo Bills, I figured that some of the fans may be interested in knowing what we need to do in order to sneak into the playoffs.

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 10:14 AM
BTW, if we lose and the Phins win, we're OUT!

That's the only way we can get knocked out this weekend.

Valerie
12-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Sorry, Patrick. I really thought you saw this happening. lol I was worried about you.

Trust me, no matter what, we ALWAYS need a disclaimer. I've learned the hard way that a disclaimer is needed 24/7/365.

LtBillsFan66
12-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Thanks J!

I didn’t think I need this disclaimer this time.

This is for informational use only. I don’t see it happening, but seeing as how this is a website dedicated to the Buffalo Bills, I figured that some of the fans may be interested in knowing what we need to do in order to sneak into the playoffs.

I'm interested. Thanks for the info pat!

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 10:39 AM
If I'm not mistaken, if the fins win next weekend, and the Pats win any of their remaining games, we are out as well

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 10:45 AM
I don't think so! We can't catch the Pats anyway, so no matter what they do from here on out doesn't effect us.

If the Phins win and we win, Things will not look good but we'd still have a shot. We'd need them to lose their last 3 games.

EM Bills Fan 80
12-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Im with ya Patrick, Miami always chokes not to mention 2 tough road games and home vs Philly. Denver vs KC, @ Indy, @ GB are all loseable. Houston Will lose the last 2 games no matter what, so the best they will finish is 7-9. Now my question to you is, say Cincy wins the Division, both both them and Baltimore have a 9-7 record and so do we. Who wins the tie breaker?

The_Philster
12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
What have you been smoking over the long weekend? It's obviously affected your brain! lol I really don't see that happening, Patrick. I think the Bills got lucky yesterday. The Giants are playing for a draft pick and they don't care anymore. No way do the Bills make the playoffs.

If any team is playing for a high draft pick, they don't belong in the NFL. There are so many high draft picks that turn out to be complete busts that it's ridiculous.

Dolphinatic
12-01-2003, 06:52 PM
You don't need all that stuff to happen to get a wildcard. You do need to finish 9-7, but there are quite a few tiebreaks you'd win if you did. I posted what you need in another thread somewhere (3 Fins losses, 2 Broncos AFC losses, and 2 by the AFC North runner-up). Houston doesn't even have to lose again, despite the Bills' loss to them.

But yeah, it's still a longshot.

BuffaloRanger
12-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Don't worry jaded, you'll always have the cowboys to cheer for.

But that's not nice to point out is it?

Patrick76777
12-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Dolphinatic
You don't need all that stuff to happen to get a wildcard. You do need to finish 9-7, but there are quite a few tiebreaks you'd win if you did. I posted what you need in another thread somewhere (3 Fins losses, 2 Broncos AFC losses, and 2 by the AFC North runner-up). Houston doesn't even have to lose again, despite the Bills' loss to them.

But yeah, it's still a longshot.

I just like to lay it all out. I know that there are many ways for us to make it in, but i'm try to look at the easiest. By easiest, I mean without any tiebreakers.

Dolphinatic
12-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

I just like to lay it all out. I know that there are many ways for us to make it in, but i'm try to look at the easiest. By easiest, I mean without any tiebreakers.

Sure, but what I'm saying is that there are some tiebreakers that you don't need to worry about, because you already know you would win them anyway. Assuming the Bills finish 9-7...

You win a tiebreak with Miami inside the division at 9-7. Division tiebreaks happen first, before you break ties against teams with other division runner-ups for a wildcard.

You win a tiebreak with Denver if the Broncos lose twice in the next three weeks (AFC losses).

You win tiebreaks with Baltimore or Cincinnati.

You lose a two-way tiebreak with Houston, but you win a three-way tiebreak with Houston and Denver.

You win three-way tiebreaks with Denver and Baltimore or Cincinnati.

I haven't figured out three-way ties with Houston and Baltimore or Cincinnati, and I haven't figured what happens if the Colts or Titans lose four in a row. But I'm pretty sure the above is accurate. I can post how I figured this, if anyone is that interested.

clumping platelets
12-02-2003, 09:30 AM
It ain't over til it's over!

Patrick76777
12-02-2003, 09:39 AM
One at a time baby.

Let's just beat the Jets and hope the Pats win this weekend.

juice
12-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Pats trying to clinch the AFC-East title against the Fins is a tall order but if Belicheck is as good as he seems he might pull it off and maybe win Brady the league MVP? ACC

Moulds80
12-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Buffalo can make the playoffs in my Madden 2004 franchise!!! :drinker: :drinker: :p: