PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone else but Lindell kick deep?

caveboy
12-01-2003, 10:07 AM
At this point, I'd rather have Drew throw the ball from the 20 downfield instead of Lindell kicking it.

Our special teams play has really improved this year, especially our coverage on punts and kick-off returns. We seem to contain receivers within 5-10 yards. Moorman has consistantly driven the ball deep, not giving teams good field position. We rank 2nd in the AFC and 3rd in the NFL in punting.

BUT...

On field goals, we are ranked 16 in the AFC and 31 overall. I know that PATs factor into that, and our O hasn't scored enough TDs to change that stat, but the rest of his game is suspect. He is 13/19 this year, 3/8 on field goals over 40 yards, the longest being 44 and none over 50.

On kick-offs, he consistantly sends the ball to about only the 10 or 15 yard line, allowing teams the chance to return it 10-15 yards before being touched by our guys.

Touchbacks are what we need instead of teams starting at their 30 or 35. This is one key piece of the puzzle that we need to address, (along with a return threat we don't yet have) before ST will be really excellent.

:pimp:

eddiehaskill
12-01-2003, 10:23 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I've been screaming this all year when people keep saying that our special teams is all right. Lindell sucks. He doesn't do ***** for our team. He kicks it to the te and misses field goals. I couldn't imagine if he was on the line to win the game. Most of the fielf goals he made this year were just extra points that didn't mean anything like in the Jacksonville and Patriots games. I could make a 35-40 yard field goal pretty consistanty so I would have to say that my record this year would probably be pretty close to his.

saviorbledsoe
12-01-2003, 10:26 AM
He does suck. Biggest bust we have IMO. I think Moorman would kick it deeper than Lindell.

DraftBoy
12-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Yea but Id rather not risk wearing out Moorman's leg again. He got tired last year b.c he played in NFLE. So him doing KOS and P, maybe too much for him. Hes doing well where hes at. Id rather just sign a big leg kicker for kickoffs and hope Lindell returns to form.

Throne Logic
12-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Yea but Id rather not risk wearing out Moorman's leg again. He got tired last year b.c he played in NFLE. So him doing KOS and P, maybe too much for him. Hes doing well where hes at. Id rather just sign a big leg kicker for kickoffs and hope Lindell returns to form.

I don't buy that. How many times a game does this guy have to kick the ball? It's not like he has to do this in rapid succession, either. He's a kicker - it's what he does. If he can't get off 10-12 solid kicks in a game, he really needs to spend some time with Rusty Jones.

I, too, would like to know how far he can kick the ball of the tee.

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 11:57 AM
I didn't buy the "got tired in NFLE" excuse either. Under the absolute worst case scenario, a punter is used what, 10-12 times a game?

They punt over 100 times during the week in practice.

I'm suprised there isn't that one guy who can deep kick a kickoff, nail a 45 yard punt, and be accurate in FG's. Somebody like that would save 1 or 2 roster spots. In an age of fragile QB's - many teams are carrying only 2 on the roster because roster spots are so valuable. A guy who could do all 3 would be worth his weight in gold