PDA

View Full Version : The Defense has been a real bright spot!

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Still a number 3 overall ranking.

Now you guys have told me that the Yardage Ranking means nothing, well guess what boys, look at the Points against rankings

1. Tampa Bay 191
1. Miami 191
3. Buffalo 194

The only 3 teams in the league under 200!

With a defense playing this well we really should be in better shape. Look at the last 4 weeks.

Dallas 10
Houston 12
Indy 17
NY Giants 7

That’s 11.5 points a game.

We’ve held teams to 17 or less points 9 out of 12 games.

We’ve allowed 2 100 yard rushers. And Ricky Williams had to carry the ball 42 times to get there.
-so much for saying Sam Adams didn’t help

Sam and big Pat are really earning their money in the middle.

TKO hasn’t made huge plays since week one, but the guy is all over the field.

I don’t care what anybody says, Lawyer Milloy is always around the ball. I’m very pleased with his play. The guy was worth the money.

It’s scary to think about what will happen if they get a solid pass rushing DE!

That being said, Shobel has 7.5 sacks which puts him 10th in the NFL.

The Spaz
12-01-2003, 10:37 AM
:up::beer:

saviorbledsoe
12-01-2003, 10:40 AM
With a guy like Kearse on the other end,,,,,,,,, WOW.....imagine the turnovers!!!!!!!!!!

justasportsfan
12-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

The only 3 teams in the league under 200!

With a defense playing this well we really should be in better shape. Look at the last 4 weeks.

Dallas 10
Houston 12
Indy 17
NY Giants 7

That’s 11.5 points a game.

too bad in those games we're 1-3. No matter how well this D "stopped" offenses, this D hasn't scored enough to make up for the O's lack of scoring.

This D is playing well enough to make the playoffs. Too bad the negative (The Offense) outweighs the positive (D ).

LtBillsFan66
12-01-2003, 10:46 AM
I love the way the D has been playing. The only knock is the lack of turnovers. I think we are in great shape for next year as far as the D is concerned. I hope and pray that we can keep Winfield.

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 10:47 AM
The D is good enough to get to and do damage in the playoffs!

Miami_Vice
12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Yawn

Too bad the defense hasnt come up with turnovers.
5-7 underachieving losers

justasportsfan
12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Get a better DE than Denny or Kelsay to compliment Shobel , and a DT that' better than Adams and the TO's will follow.

LtBillsFan66
12-01-2003, 10:50 AM
I agree with DE being the only missing link.

I am in no way comfortable with Thomas or McGee filling in for Winfield though.

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Miami_Vice
Yawn

I'm really going to enjoy your 1-3 finish and watching the Bengals beat you out for the last playoff spot.

It's going to be grrrrrrrrreat!

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Yawn

Dolphins fans using "underacheiving" in a sentance is somewhat ironic, don't you think?

The Spaz
12-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Yawn

:lol::lmao: :laughter: :ser: :bowl: :pimp:

Throne Logic
12-01-2003, 11:28 AM
They still seem to give up at least one big drive each game. Of course, any defense that has to spend that much time on the field is bound to run into occassional lapses.

I don't have too many defensive complaints. Just the obligatory, "get another pass rushing DE".

Patrick76777
12-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
They still seem to give up at least one big drive each game. Of course, any defense that has to spend that much time on the field is bound to run into occassional lapses.

I'm not going to jump all over you for this one, but come on, Throne! This is the NFL. If my D only gave up one big drive/play a game, we'd win a lot of games.

helmetguy
12-01-2003, 02:31 PM
We've had plenty of opportunities to get TO's from the defense. No matter WHO is with us next year (coaches and players) I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND mini-camps for "hands" players only. How does a week or two worth of CATCHING THE BALL sound to the rest of you? The DBs should be almost adept at catching the ball as the WRs, TEs and RBs; the fact that even the WRs had the dropsies notwithstanding.

BAM
12-01-2003, 03:59 PM
I :heart: our Defense. If we can keep these guys all together for the next few years, they may rank wayyyyyy up there...

:gobills:

HenryRules
12-01-2003, 05:52 PM
What have each of the following done that our team hasn't?

Jaxonsville
Houston
Washington
Indianapolis
Tampa Bay
Carolina
Miami
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Dallas
Kansas City
Denver
New England
Philly
Jets
Arizona
Houston
New Orleans
Detroit
Chicago

Answer? Win a game where the offense doesn't score 20 points.

Many of them (including a few teams more than once) have one games where the offense didn't score 15 points.

Good defense? I don't think so.

Patrick76777
12-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
What have each of the following done that our team hasn't?

Jaxonsville
Houston
Washington
Indianapolis
Tampa Bay
Carolina
Miami
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Dallas
Kansas City
Denver
New England
Philly
Jets
Arizona
Houston
New Orleans
Detroit
Chicago

Answer? Win a game where the offense doesn't score 20 points.

Many of them (including a few teams more than once) have one games where the offense didn't score 15 points.

Good defense? I don't think so.

Ok, so our offense can't score enough points to beat:

Dallas 10 points
Houston 12 points
Indy 17 points
Miami 17 points

And that makes our Defense bad?

Strange logic bro!

HenryRules
12-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Actually, I don't once recall commenting on how many points the defense allowed, so I don't see why you think that was part of my logic.

My logic was this:
When our team does not score more than 20 points, we lose. Not sometimes, occasionally, or most of the time. Always. To me, that means that our defense is incapable of winning a game on its own, unlike 20 other teams in the NFL. Look at that number ... 2/3 of the NFL can win a game where they score less than 20 points, yet we cannot. 2/3 is not an insignificant number that can be written off as a fluke.

That is my logic as to why we have a bad D.

You have your standards, I have mine.

Mine is this, the point of football is to win. Regardless of how many points you score or allow, if you don't win, you're not good enough at either aspect.

Unfortunately, in close games, our D does not seem to play as well in the 4th quarter as other team's D. You can choose to credit that to fatigue. I think it's an attitude thing and I don't like it.

Scott
12-03-2003, 06:24 AM
You hit it on the head Sportsfan, we are 1-3 in the four games that you refer to. A critical stop or turnover in any of those losses could have lead to a victory.
Statistics are misleading...

Patrick76777
12-03-2003, 08:30 AM
Or how about this one scott. If Our F**KING OFFENSE SCORES MORE THEN 10 POINTS WE WIN THOSE GAMES!

LtBillsFan66
12-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Or how about this one scott. If Our F**KING OFFENSE SCORES MORE THEN 10 POINTS WE WIN THOSE GAMES!

Yeah. Mathmatics ISN'T misleading.

I bet if the O held their part of the bargain, the D would look even better. Because it would put pressure on the opposing O and have the opposing O play from behind for a change.

BAM
12-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

I bet if the O held their part of the bargain, the D would look even better. Because it would put pressure on the opposing O and have the opposing O play from behind for a change.

Exactly! I hope Drew is sick again this week or whatever was wrong with him, he played a lot better. :hitself:

Ingtar33
12-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Personally... the amazing thing is how well the D has been without each of the following...

A legit LDE (any sort of passrush or runstop from that side is a shock)

A legit passrush DT (for 3rd down and 4 Dlineman passrush)

And a better than average FS.

We don't NEED Kearse, we need an NFL capable LDE, we don't need a better DT than Adams, but we do need a decent passrush from the inside, and 25 of the 32 teams have a superior FS to our Prioleau/Reese combo.

Go out and pickup a 8-12 sack DE who can runstop, draft Sean Taylor, and find a 5 to 8 sack backup/3rd down DT. You'll have the NFL's best defense.

LtBillsFan66
12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
I agree ingtar.

But I also don't think Fletcher and Spikes have gotten their due credit. I think both are outstanding.

Also, we have two very good CBs.

So those shortcomings are made up for in a way, IMO.

Patrick76777
12-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Ingtar hit the nail on the head. I think the d is playing better with even McKenzie in there!

zone
12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
MaGee is nasty.... He comes to play every week.

The_Philster
12-03-2003, 03:43 PM

Nahhh..that's too simple. :shakeno: ;)

HenryRules
12-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Look ... if we have any of the following D's, we would have won the same games we've already won and beaten one of Philly or Indy:

Miami
Tampa Bay
Denver
Dallas
Carolina
Cleveland
KC

and with four or five others, we'd have a similar record.

If we would have a better record by swapping D's with someone else, I don't see how we can say our D is better.

To me, that's pretty simple.

HenryRules
12-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone

Mathematics is simply a language ... albeit one that follows stricter rules than English or other languages, but it's still a language and thus open to interpretation. Especially in the field of statistics. So yes, mathematics can be misleading.

Tatonka
12-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Personally... the amazing thing is how well the D has been without each of the following...

A legit LDE (any sort of passrush or runstop from that side is a shock)

A legit passrush DT (for 3rd down and 4 Dlineman passrush)

And a better than average FS.

We don't NEED Kearse, we need an NFL capable LDE, we don't need a better DT than Adams, but we do need a decent passrush from the inside, and 25 of the 32 teams have a superior FS to our Prioleau/Reese combo.

Go out and pickup a 8-12 sack DE who can runstop, draft Sean Taylor, and find a 5 to 8 sack backup/3rd down DT. You'll have the NFL's best defense.

Grant winstrom, sean taylor, and chad lavalais.