PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Free Agency/Draft Scenarios

R. Rich
12-01-2003, 01:02 PM
I posted this on Two Bills Drive earlier, so I'll post a link to it, since I'm lazy and don't feel like re-typing all of those scenarios.

Check out this link. (http://www.stadiumwall.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15220)

The Spaz
12-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Just copy and paste it...:lol::snicker:J/K :beer:

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
This one is slightly different. No trades and in this one I am considering the compensatory pick from the Olandis Gary trade as a 7th rounder (I know it could be as high as 5; I'll have another scenario ready long before we know the exact round). Here goes:

Coach

I'm going with Nick Saban this time. He's got plenty of NFL coaching experience (he was Belichick's defensive coordinator in Clevleland) and has done a wonderful job at LSU and Michigan State before that. He would be an excellent choice. The tough part would be getting him to leave a great situation at LSU, but I'm sure something could be done.

Free Agency

1. Sign DE Eric Hicks of KC.
Hicks would be a great addition to our line; someone who will provide a pass rush and will help stop the run.

2. Sign WR Darrel Jackson of Seattle.
This would be a great coup. Just like that, this team would be loaded at the receiver position and would be able to take pressure off the running game. Add Jackson to the lineup with Moulds and have Reed and Shaw also in the mix, and things will improve a lot.

3. Sign C Cory Withrow of Minnesota.
I spoke about Withrow in another scenario. This guy backs up one of the best centers in the game in Matt Birk and can also be used at either guard spot. He's strong, tough, and smart. He has started at all 3 interior line positions for the Vikes at some point. An immediate upgrade.

4. Re-sign CB Antoine Winfield.
Keeping Winfield gives us stability in the secondary. With the added pass rush, now we'll see how great this unit can be.

Draft

1. Draft S Sean Taylor in the first round.
This guy is special! Adding Taylor and re-signing Winfield could make this secondary scary.

2. Draft OG Stephen Peterman of LSU in the second round.
He rejoins coach Saban in the pros. Big enough to give us a good power running game. He would make Mike Pussywillow obsolete.

3. Draft OG Chris Kemoeatu of Utah in the third round.
He's even bigger than Peterman and is nastier. That's good for us, since we need that kind of attitude from our O-line.

4. Draft DT Chad Lavalais of LSU in the fourth round.
He's a big guy (6-3, 292) who could provide great depth up front. Another one of Saban's guys follows the coach.

5. Draft QB Robert Kent of Jackson State in the fifth round.
Scouts like his size (6-5, 220) and his arm, but his mechanics are shaky. With some work, he'll be just fine. He's a good value pick in the fifth.

6. Draft LB Maurice Jones of S. Florida in the sixth round.
Jones will be a great special teams addition and good backup LB. He's fast and makes plays from sideline to sideline.

7. Draft DE Jared Allen of Idaho State in the seventh round.
Using the compensatory pick from the Olandis Gary trade, we could pick up Allen, a 6-6, 275 lb DE who would give us good depth. He's a good athlete and can also rush the passer well.

Okay now, what do you all think of this one?

For reference:

Scenario #1

Scenario #2

Scenario #3

URL]

I like it!

Maybe go with a Rivers in Rd 3, or Walter from ASU if he's around. Then grab an OL in Rd 5. Teague can move around the line as well. He was semi-successful in Denver blocking for Davis, Gary, & Anderson (2,000, 1000, & 1000 yard seasons respectively)

Plus, with Josh Reed on the team, Maybe Saban can get him headed in the right direction. Also, there is a cnnection with Bills coaches Gray & Jackson on the defensive side of the ball. Saban was their position coach in Houston in the late 1980's

Jan Reimers
12-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Rich, here's my vote for you to replace TD as GM.

DraftBoy
12-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Havent had a chance to take a long look at Kent out of Jackson St. and why take two OG in two consectuive rounds? Rather go after a TE or a DE earlier.

1. Taylor
2. Odom DE, Alabama
3. Kemoeatu
4. Harris, QB, Bowling Green
5. Hilliard DT, Notre Dame
6. Jones
7. Smith WR, GT

just an idea but other than that your ideas sound great!

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I like it!

Maybe go with a Rivers in Rd 3, or Walter from ASU if he's around. Then grab an OL in Rd 5. Teague can move around the line as well. He was semi-successful in Denver blocking for Davis, Gary, & Anderson (2,000, 1000, & 1000 yard seasons respectively)

Plus, with Josh Reed on the team, Maybe Saban can get him headed in the right direction. Also, there is a cnnection with Bills coaches Gray & Jackson on the defensive side of the ball. Saban was their position coach in Houston in the late 1980's

I'm glad you like it. It's nice to be appreciated for all this hard work. (Hahahaha!!!!!)

We do need better talent on the OL, Dozer. Do we want to bring in another guy drafted in the lower rounds (Pussywillow) to add depth?

Saban is an appealing choice as a coach. Here's a guy who has worked wonders with Michigan State and LSU (and even Toledo, for a short stint). He is a very good "Xs and Os" type coach and has shown very good judgment during the game. All things we do not have at the present.

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Rich, here's my vote for you to replace TD as GM.

Now that would be awesome! I know there's a lot of work involved, and a lot of late nights and all, but I get those things now and I don't love working for the government (I do love the check though). Working for my favorite team in all of sports would be a dream. Do I think I could handle the job? I'm not sure. There's so much to it that I don't know about. Sure, I know about personnel and the draft and other things, but there's tons more that goes with the job and I would have to rely on others for input there. As passionate as I am about the Bills, it's best I don't work for them. I would probably have a heart attack!

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Havent had a chance to take a long look at Kent out of Jackson St. and why take two OG in two consectuive rounds? Rather go after a TE or a DE earlier.

1. Taylor
2. Odom DE, Alabama
3. Kemoeatu
4. Harris, QB, Bowling Green
5. Hilliard DT, Notre Dame
6. Jones
7. Smith WR, GT

just an idea but other than that your ideas sound great!

Why take 2 OL? Because we need them!!! I wouldn't spend a first round pick on a guard and I do not think we need to bring in another tackle. We're fine with Jennings and Williams. Let's get them some better players inside and see what happens. I certainly don't want them taking an OL in the late rounds again (Mike Pussywillow was a late rounder and he stinks).

The Spaz
12-02-2003, 09:53 AM

Why take 2 OL? Because we need them!!! I wouldn't spend a first round pick on a guard and I do not think we need to bring in another tackle. We're fine with Jennings and Williams. Let's get them so better players inside and see what happens. I certainly don't want them taking an OL in the late rounds again (Mike Pussywillow was a late rounder and he stinks).

One thing you have to remember is that WInfield26 knows all there is to know about the draft so don't even bother arguing with him...lol:)!:snicker:

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
One thing you have to remember is that WInfield26 knows all there is to know about the draft so don't even bother arguing with him...lol:)!:snicker:

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

The Spaz
12-02-2003, 10:14 AM

Just a tad!:nbf: :snicker::beer:

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Just a tad!:nbf: :snicker::beer:

Oh. Sounds like somethng personal.

Anyway, I think he had some very good suggestions.

The Spaz
12-02-2003, 10:17 AM

Oh. Sounds like somethng personal.

Anyway, I think he had some very good suggestions.

No nothing personal. Just I think people tell people what to think instead of saying lets try this is all.

DraftBoy
12-02-2003, 10:18 AM

No all you detect is somebody being a smart, but I can take critcism as well as the next guy. But my only problem was that there is no reason to take 2 G's in the draft if all it does is force one to start and the other to sit on the bench. Also assume that we still have OC problems, whats the solution then? Move Teague to OT and then Jennings to OC. Ok thats an idea but I dont know if I trust Teague anymore at all at the OT especially on cement foots blindside. Taking 2 OG's makes no sense to me at all especially one after another. An OG and a OC would make alot more sense since both would probably start. I just dont like the idea of wasting those high quality picks on two OG's. Even if they are just 3rd rounders, we have more needs than just OG to waste 2 straight picks on it.

The Spaz
12-02-2003, 10:19 AM

No all you detect is somebody being a jackass. But my only problem was that there is no reason to take 2 G's in the draft if all it does is force one to start and the other to sit on the bench. Also assume that we still have OC problems, whats the solution then? Move Teague to OT and then Jennings to OC. Ok thats an idea but I dont know if I trust Teague anymore at all at the OT especially on cement foots blindside. Taking 2 OG's makes no sense to me at all especially one after another. An OG and a OC would make alot more sense since both would probably start. I just dont like the idea of wasting those high quality picks on two OG's. Even if they are just 3rd rounders, we have more needs than just OG to waste 2 straight picks on it.

Knockoff the personal attaks I didn't make any derrogatory about you personally!:earpoke:

DraftBoy
12-02-2003, 10:22 AM

No nothing personal. Just I think people tell people what to think instead of saying lets try this is all.

I tell people what I think and alot of people come to me about advice on certain prospects they have watched in college and wanna know about. If thats what you mean than yea I guess I do that but otherwise. Its kinda like my job to inform people about the draft and its prospects if they are uninformed. Its kinda the reason I have that little award under my name that says something about "Resident Draft Expert". I suggest all the scenarios I can, but I dont force people to think my way. I more or less try and give my support and give my comments on almost all topics that have to do with the draft and the Bills.

DraftBoy
12-02-2003, 10:24 AM

Knockoff the personal attaks I didn't make any derrogatory about you personally!:earpoke:

You did make a personal attack with that comment of yours. I corrected it myself and do apologize but dont just go out spouting things about me and not expect some type of retort.

Tatonka
12-02-2003, 10:50 AM
rich.. i am willing to bet 50$ that lavalais is not close to avaliable in the 4th.. althought it would be great..

he is gone by the second for sure... imho

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 11:23 AM
No all you detect is somebody being a smart, but I can take critcism as well as the next guy. But my only problem was that there is no reason to take 2 G's in the draft if all it does is force one to start and the other to sit on the bench. Also assume that we still have OC problems, whats the solution then? Move Teague to OT and then Jennings to OC. Ok thats an idea but I dont know if I trust Teague anymore at all at the OT especially on cement foots blindside. Taking 2 OG's makes no sense to me at all especially one after another. An OG and a OC would make alot more sense since both would probably start. I just dont like the idea of wasting those high quality picks on two OG's. Even if they are just 3rd rounders, we have more needs than just OG to waste 2 straight picks on it.

My free agency moves:

DE Eric Hicks
C Cory Withrow
WR Dennis Northcutt
CB Antoine Winfield (re-signed)

I had already addressed center, so no need to draft one. TE is another option, but I would still hope to draft 2 guards or find one who, like Withrow, can play numerous positions on the O line. Depending on what happens with "the Bens" (Troupe and Utecht), I'd also look at TE. If they're gone, I'd look away from the TEs.

DraftBoy
12-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Troupe will be gone. Utecht Im not so sure of. Why no go after WR then. Im sorry but if we sign Dennis Northcutt we are throwing millions away on a PR who cant catch. Plus he would be our #4 and would get no real PT. Hicks is another guy thats had a couple good seasons up in KC, but he has never or may never be considered to be a dominant DE. Not sure about him yet. Also Tatonka is right Lavalais will in no way be there in the 4th round.

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Troupe will be gone. Utecht Im not so sure of. Why no go after WR then. Im sorry but if we sign Dennis Northcutt we are throwing millions away on a PR who cant catch. Plus he would be our #4 and would get no real PT. Hicks is another guy thats had a couple good seasons up in KC, but he has never or may never be considered to be a dominant DE. Not sure about him yet. Also Tatonka is right Lavalais will in no way be there in the 4th round.

I didn't go for WR because IN MY OPINION it is more important to upgrade the offensive line. Given better pass protection, you'll see more out of Drew and, hence, more out of the WRs. There's no way I'd give up on Josh Reed after one season. Same with Shaw. I'm not saying these guys are Canton bound, but they aren't bums either. Signing Northcutt just adds depth.

Hicks had a great couple seasons and then had to fight through some injury plagued seasons. That hurt his development. From what I've seen of him, he's healthy and is rushing the passer extremely well. He's also more of a complete DE ( better run defender) than Schobel. I'd be very happy to see him in Buffalo.

Lavalais could be there that later or he could be gone early. The only ones that won't hang around on the board will be Wilfork, Harris, and Starks. The others could go in the late first, maybe 2nd, maybe later. If he is there late, we had better take him. If not, there are some decent choices for depth and some okay 'under the radar' types as well.